Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas camp tub???

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My grandparents, who lived in New York, bought a little farm near Bangor, PA, north of Bucks County, during the 30's. It never had indoor plumbing till 1959.
What we did instead was use an outhouse, and a pump. There was a hand pump in the kitchen, with a sink, to give the convenience, and I guess illusion, of indoor running water.
Anyhow, when I was a toddler, the way the grandchildren would bathe was in this contraption. It looks like rubberized canvas, and it obviously had an overflow drain of sorts. They would set it up in the front yard, fill it from the pump, and all the kids, all age 5 or less, would pile into the tub. I remember it well, and well as all the various and sundry toy boats. Anyone ever see one of these before? My strong guess is that it was war surplus.
Mar04_05.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Neat item!

I've read about these in various books about safaris. Looks like an item that might have been furnished by an outfitter such as Abercrombie and Fitch. Anyone have a vintage A&F Catalog?

I remember bathing in a galvanized tub in the kitchen but never in a canvas tub.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
It was either an early 1940's Montgomery Wards or Sears catalog that showed one of these. But right now I can't remember. As I don't own either but have leafed through friends ones I can't look that up for you.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn