Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caps: leather sweatbands?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
A question to those who have some experience with it: do you prefer your caps to have a leather sweatband?

I'm thinking about getting a B!Wear cap - though I'm still looking for a nice non-panel cap -, and I wonder if I should go for leather. Given the weight and air permeability of the usual fabrics, I thought you didn't sweat as much under a well-fitted cap as under most hats, and doesn't the leather right on your skin rather make you sweat? I'm comparing to some friendly alternative material, not to a band of solid plastic.

Also, I imagine a leather band either fits or not, with only a limited possibility of shrinking and stretching, while a fabric band would adjust a bit more to your head, wouldn't it?

analogist

One of the Regulars
CAP COMFORT

I like my cap collection as much(almost) as much as my fedoras. My two favorites are B!Wear Caps which are available for a very small surcharge with a glove leather sweat band and Borsalino which have grosgrain sweatbands.

The caps Brett Stiles make are really super. I have many of them in both fabrics I have supplied and ones which Brett had in stock. I did submit my measurement in inches, centimeters and standard size and they fit really well.

The Borsalino hats if offered with an exact size rather than S. M, L, with grosgrain ribbons also provide a fine fit.

IMHO, the fit of the cap is more important to the comfort rather than if the sweat band is leather or grosgrain. These are the only two choices for the sweat band. Anything else such as suede, vinyl(I'm spitting through my fingers, Shaul-Ike) or whatever just don't cut it.

analogist

Feraud

Bartender
Having owned caps with the various materials I would definitely go for the leather. Material does not really fit better than leather. A badly fitted cap is one regardless of sweatband material.
I find suede a bit uncomfortable to wear and adjust when necessary. Leather is just right.

ideaguy

One Too Many
could someone show a few caps that they are particularly fond of? on OFAS, whilst looking for fedoras, I'm overwhelmed by caps ( I'm overwhelmed by most anything). The ones I see are nothing to write home about, so I'm asking to see what the cognoscenti know and have...

Boris K

One of the Regulars

I have leather sweatbands in my Cooperstown ballcap caps. They are very comfortable and conform nicely to your head.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'll kick in to agree that fit is more important than material where comfort is concerned. My caps have grosgrain, poly-something-whosis, leather and suede sweats. None but the poly causes me to sweat or itch. I have no problem with the suede, though they did make my hair go all pineapple-like when I took them off at first. Then I got used to it and changed the way I took them off. Presto, fine-o.

Also, suede gets - uh - burnished with use.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd also like to suggest you carefully look at the finishing of the leather sweatband. Having purchased high and low end hats, sometimes the leather sweatbands are not finished, and you are left with a tacky, horrible red line across your forehead from the leather seam which makes you look like a Frankenstein test subject or a cousin of Edward Scissorhands.

This is also why it's important to test your hat by wearing it at home first, and decide if it fits well, and if you need to stretch it a bit before wearing it and removing it from your head in public.

Of course, with a higher end hat and a correct leather sweatband, this won't happen (much). But, buyer beware. [huh]

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot