Captain... MID-NIIIIIIIIGHT!

Discussion in 'Radio' started by BJonas, Oct 14, 2006.

1. BJonas

BJonas One of the Regulars

I'm going to be buying some Captain Midnight shows soon, but I'm new to the character. Any recommendations?

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

There's an excellent book on Captain Midnight by an acquaintance of mine, Stephen Kallis -- presented as a biography of the character. Stephen had access to the complete run of scripts for the original series, from the Ovaltine company's files, and his work is as solid an introduction to the character as you'll ever find. It's also very good for putting the isolated surviving episodes of the series into storyline context.

3. BJonas

BJonas One of the Regulars

Thanks for the tip. Is there a web-site, should I just Amazon his name?

4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

He used to have a site, but it seems to have gone away -- but there's a new paperback edition of the book out, and Amazon should have it in stock!

5. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

Does anyone know where I can find episodes from 1946?

Sincerely,
    The WOLF

6. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Unfortunately, none from 1946 are known to survive.

The survival rate of the Ovaltine-era episodes is spotty at best -- most serial programs that exist in long runs do so because of recordings made for redistribution to non-network stations, and Ovaltine-era Captain Midnight was never distributed in that manner. (The long run of Skelly Oil programs that survives comes from syndication discs, but they ended when the program moved to Ovaltine and the Mutual network in 1940.)

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Lizzie, you may enjoy this site as it's loaded with tidbits about Golden Era radio in Chicago.