Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Key Woes!

Flivver

Practically Family
Twitch said:
My 96 El Dorado has the older chip. The newer ones are costly. I can still get hardware store dupes that work w/o chips.

The real pizzer was when the remotes, which ultimately get old and worn, needed replacement. Cadillac wanted $153 which dropped to $135 when I blurted out a string of obscenities having to do with someones greedy illigitimate child.

Now, a friend has a Saturn with an identical remote which cost $50, he checked. All remotes simply need the same programming to get them going. I'm thinking of seeing of Saturn will do it.

We're talking a tiny, single circuitboard here. I could buy several DVD players for the same cost.

I got a temporart fix from a local electrician who micro soldered a connection on one for me for $10.

Whaddya gonna do?[huh]

When I bought my car used, the remote was not functioning. I bought a replacement (used) on e-bay for $9.99. It came with programming instructions and works fine.

Also, the programming instructions can be found in most factory shop manuals which are usually available at a decent sized public library.

Flivver

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
Oh, well that explains it. :rolleyes: Mine is a 2006 Grand Marquis. I guess the key to drive went up since 2000.

If it wasn't for air bags which I do think may help I would be buying me a 1957 Chevy. My grandad had one that was the strangest green.
Maybe I will get a old car like from the 1930s. So much metal the other car wouldn't stand a chance. lol

It would of at least been nice when I bought it that someone would of explained it to. Never heard a peep.
We are teching ourselves out of life. In Houston a mess on the news about digital meters on houses eliminating meter readers.
They even have automatic trash trucks.

---------------
Oh on the trunk key, ignition key thing. Wonder which Einstein thought that up? A valet can drive the car but not get in the locked trunk. Hmm. But hey, look here. On the side of the door there is a button that pops open the trunk.
Ok.

Like you, I'd love to drive a vintage car on a daily basis, but with an 80 mile round trip commute, it just doesn't make sense.

The safety equipment in modern vehicles is priceless as far as I'm concerned. And modern vehicles have controlled crush structures, 4-wheel disc brakes, and improved steering/emergency handling.

I'm a fan of the Chevy Caprice, Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis because these body-on-frame, rear-wheel-drive, V8 powered full-size cars are the closest I can get to a vintage car while still having modern safety features. And they're quite durable too, since they were designed from the start as police cars. When fitted with a "police package" they are even *more* durable.

Foofoogal

Banned
Unless you can get the model with the gnomes that all exhale to inflate the airbag in case of accident....but gnome food is pricey.

I just would of like to of been informed when I bought the thing.
Flivver. I have a Ford Crown Vic with what I think it is called a Romeo engine in it.
(police engine) sure makes a difference in get up and go. lol

Flivver

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
I just would of like to of been informed when I bought the thing.
Flivver. I have a Ford Crown Vic with what I think it is called a Romeo engine in it.
(police engine) sure makes a difference in get up and go. lol

You're lucky to have that. The police spec engine puts out 250HP versus 225 or 239HP (with dual exhaust) for the civillian version.

Alas, since mine is eight years old, it has only the 200HP engine...which is perfectly adequate for anything I need to do.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One thing for certain I have no desire to go back to the bad old days when you had to do tunes ups every 10,000 miles and change oil every 1,000. My El Dorado didn't make it to the 100,000 mile tune up but did 85,000 before needing plug wires so I had my mechanic do all the rest of the service for 100k.

But I would go anywhere in the Eldo. Its effortless cruising at any speed coupled with well over 20 MPG average and comfort make it light years ahead of anything over 20 years old.
61.gif

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
If they can put a chip in the key that is required in order to start the car, why can't they put in a locater chip for when you lose your keys? Then again, coordinates might not help you out very much. But on yet another hand, the right marketing ploy and target audience could make the car makers some money off of that pointless idea :p

Twitch

I remember a little device for your keyring that was a beeper/finder. If you lost the keys you used the master thingy to find them. Of course most of us would have also misplaced the master beeper too.lol [huh]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baloney; Poppycock and Balderdash spring to mind.

Those are all fine old vintage words ladies and gentlemen of the Lounge. But a thread on "car key woes?" [huh]

Have you guys been brewing your own liquor out back by any chance? You do realise I'm going to have to check that back shed with the little chimney in it to see what you've been supping!;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Those are all fine old vintage words ladies and gentlemen of the Lounge. But a thread on "car key woes?" [huh]

Have you guys been brewing your own liquor out back by any chance? You do realise I'm going to have to check that back shed with the little chimney in it to see what you've been supping!;)

Poit??n

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by PADDY
Baloney; Poppycock and Balderdash spring to mind.

Well, Paddy, my friend, I'm not too enamored of Baloney personally.

However, I am quite fond of Balderdash and Poppycock.
:D

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
...and it gets more complicated

I rented a Toyota RAV4 this week, and had my first encounter with an all-in-one key. Most of us have a fob that arms/locks our cars, then the computerized key that works in the ignition.

The RAV4 had all features incorporated into the key. I would imagine this is why the keys cost $250 and up.

With stereo systems that rival home theater, and chrome wheels that cost upwards of $800 a copy, it's no wonder you have to erect a fortress around your car.

New cars are easily "chopped", so we spend more to protect them. Maybe my old '87 4Runner wasn't so bad...[huh]

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Geez LM...

LizzieMaine said:
The question that leaps to my mind is -- Are we actually better off today, having $250 computerized car keys, or have we, as a society, just been lulled into thinking we absolutely have to have every new gizmo that comes along just because we can?

As for toys, sheesh. Some of the most fun I had as a little kid was playing "store" with food boxes and cans I'd filched from the kitchen cupboard. Although Ma did draw the line at me playing Scrabble with the alphabet soup.

...If I didn't know better I'd say you are old fashoned.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
nyx said:
My father said I spent half of my childhood playing in large appliance boxes. I would make a submarine, or a car, and once a puppet theater. I made forts, and then when I was older, my dad actually built a playhouse for me out of multiple cardboard boxes which I used for YEARS. It even had an awning you could lower and raise :D

My younger brother once made a robot Hallowe'en costume out of a cardboard box, complete with extension cord tied in a knot through a hole in the back. It was a lot of fun at a party, until the other kids tried to drag him to a wall and plug him in. :eek:

Lee

Twitch

Being tested NOW, but I am not certain where, is a system for retail chains that simply use one of your finger prints for I.D. You set up the desired credit card account and link it to your print. The you go to the store, shop and check out by touching your thumb or finger to a screen. That's it.

Once this get's going it will certainly filter down to 7-11s in no time, ie. everywhere. Car manufacturers should all simply allow you to scan in the prints of those you wish to be able to operate your vehicle then you never need keys, can't lock yourself out or not be able to bet in the trunk or need a locksmith ever.

Twitch

I had to revive this thread because Flivver mentioned he found a remote on Ebay. Well I checked it out and found a like new pair for my Caddy for $60 compared to the dealer at $306!!:rage: Programming instructions were dead easy.

This is the best deal ever as the vendors deal with ALL car brands. And since my 1996 wasn't exactly new they have a depth of vintage too.

Woohoo thanks Flivver!:D :D

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
There's just no way those should cost that much. A 4 GB Flash card only cost $40, you can even buy an iPod or a 7 mega pixel digital camera for less than most of those keys. It's just an outright scam is all, I don't care how "secure" they say it is, new cars still get stolen all the time! Where's the benefit vs. cost? :rage:

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
I hate all the new technology that's going into new cars. I just refuse to by a car with "On Star". Was anyone aware that new cars also have the dreaded "black box" installed on them? After a wreck your insurance company can remove it and gather information about what was going at the time of your accident (speed, breaking information, etc).

Flivver

Practically Family
Twitch said:
I had to revive this thread because Flivver mentioned he found a remote on Ebay. Well I checked it out and found a like new pair for my Caddy for $60 compared to the dealer at $306!!:rage: Programming instructions were dead easy.

This is the best deal ever as the vendors deal with ALL car brands. And since my 1996 wasn't exactly new they have a depth of vintage too.

Woohoo thanks Flivver!:D :D

Glad to help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff