Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care/repair of lambskin?

Farace

Familiar Face
Somehow I made it to the age of 59 without ever owning a leather jacket of any sort. Well, the other day I was in the thrift shop and came across a Scully black lambskin blazer (from their website, I believe it's their model 501) for $35. (If it had lasted another week and a half, it would go down to $17.50; hoping that no one else is watching the same thing before scheduled markdowns is a game we all play at that shop. Sometimes we win, sometimes someone else gets there before us.) unlike most thrift shop finds, it fits me like it was made for me.

Be gentle if these are stupid questions, but this is new territory for me (I did search here first, without result):

1) Should the jacket be treated with anything?

2) There are a few hard-to-see digs or scuffs, and the inside color shows through just a bit. Is it advisable to try to color them, or is it best left alone? (I have a bottle of Fiebing's black leather dye--it's often used for dying upright bass fingerboards.) I'd hate for dye spots to be more noticeable than the untreated scars.

I thought I had another question, but if so, it's flown out of my mind. Thanks!

--Bob

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, if you have bought a lamb jacket, you still don't own a leather jacket at age 59. :eek::D:p.

Just joking. I own a cool, almost mint 1970 English lamb coat. Just pop a thin application of Lexol or Pecards or leather dressing of your choice on it. Don't use dye it will show up as blotches. You can use a matching shoe polish first to blend in any scuffs - but they are part of the character, apply some polish leave for a minute or two, then buff.

Lamb is a fragile, easily torn leather and rarely comes up here mainly because of it's less than stellar qualities and the fact that this is a site dedicated to early and mid 20th century clothing which tends to privilege Horsehide, steer and goat.

Last edited:

Farace

Familiar Face
Well, if you have bought a lamb jacket, you still don't own a leather jacket at age 59. :eek::D:p.

Just joking. I own a cool, almost mint 1970 English lamb coat. Just pop a thin application of Lexol or Pecards or leather dressing of your choice on it. Don't use dye it will show up as blotches. You can use a matching shoe polish first to blend in any scuffs - but they are part of the character, apply some polish leave for a minute or two, then buff.

Lamb is a fragile, easily torn leather and rarely comes up here mainly because of it's less than stellar qualities and the fact that this is a site dedicated to early and mid 20th century clothing which tends to privilege Horsehide, steer and goat.

Thank you. Yes, I can tell that the lamb is not as sturdy, but it's so soft and supple, and I've long wanted a leather blazer, so I couldn't resist it.

I suspected that trying to touch up with leather dye might be more noticeable than just leaving well enough alone. I might try the shoe polish, or maybe just leave it.

Thanks again!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I would let it be. Still wear & enjoy it, and don't hesitate to post up fit photos!

I've done a lot of vintage "treasure hunting" but seems a that a lot of those jackets have disappeared from Goodwill/Salvation Army shops these days. I will be posting a thread on this.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I would let it be. Still wear & enjoy it, and don't hesitate to post up fit photos!

I've done a lot of vintage "treasure hunting" but seems a that a lot of those jackets have disappeared from Goodwill/Salvation Army shops these days. I will be posting a thread on this.

Do that. You used to be able to buy great blazers and coats from the 60's and 70's and they were around $20. Gone, for the most part.

Farace

Familiar Face

Okay, here's how it looks.

IMG_1173.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looking great there! Like Abba said it's a nice, soft blazer that suits you very well. Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran