Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Careers........What to do?

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
I have had the oddest job offer. I’ve grown up in the construction industry and started working for a mechanical contractor in 1984. I now am a designer/engineer working for a plumbing contractor. Know a little about all the trades, elec., plumbing, HVAC, piping, fire protection, structural, etc.

An engineering firm contacted me recently offering me a job. I initially turned them down due to the money. They called again to ask that I come in for video interview via webcam, from a local job site they are working. I’m in Atlanta, GA they are located in NJ, but I would be allowed to work from home. This interview was strange enough, but then after many unusual questions about video equipment and what TV shows I liked, they informed me that they didn’t want me as a designer/ engineer, but rather a videographer for them (sort of a “This Old House” type of thing). I’ve never even heard the term videographer before this. They say they’ve hired several, but who knew nothing about construction. Because of my background I would know what to focus on with both the camera and my questions. They’ve more than matched my pay request and the travel will be no more than 6 weeks a year. Now it is up to me to make the decision to take the plunge in a new field and new direction. It’s somewhat scary and exciting. I’ve got a good thing where I’m at easy commute, good money, regular hours, good benefits but am not the happiest doing plumbing design (boring).

Decisions, decisions……..what to do. Any body have any experience in a similar line of work.:eusa_doh:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I earned my Bachelor's in Broadcasting, but came back to video production as a career 7 years later, and ALL the equipment had changed...so the only things I could carry over were concepts of shot composition and editing, a basic knowledge of audio and microphones. Almost everything I did in school (1968-73) was studio work, with a little 8mm film shooting in the field. By the time I got into video as a career, almost everything was shot in the field. I learned how to put it together on the job.

I have mixed feelings about this, and I know exactly what you're facing. In 18 years working as a video producer for two universities, I seldom shot an educational production about something in which I was a content expert. I depended on a content expert to write the script or build an outline for the program before I would pick up a camera. What you would be doing is closely related to educational video production.

The fact is, you need both content and production skills. When it comes to content, you absolutely need to know what is happening so that you can capture the right shots, explain things in basic terms, decide where graphics are needed to convey a concept (for instance, an animated sequence showing heat transfer or water flow through a system). But a skilled video producer can work with a content expert to take a basic story or concept and develop it into a script which is informative and still interesting to watch.

You also MUST be enough of a video producer to understand how video is shot and turned into a final program. Some of this is really basic stuff like the normal shot progression of Wide shot> Medium shot> Close-up, using cutaways, capturing good audio on site when needed, and laying down audio later (which is actually most of the audio you will use). You MUST learn how editing works, and it's much more complex than it looks. In almost every production I did, I laid down the audio track first, then edited video to conform to the audio - it's two completely separate processes. But that's only the most basic of comments - with computer-based editing, many things are possible and easy that required obscenely expensive equipment just 15 years ago. KISS is always a good idea, but sometimes making something look simple actually requires a complex editing process.

But it CAN be done! I came at it from the angle of a person with some video skills - then I polished those skills while working with content experts. You would be coming at it as a content expert who needs to learn video skills, and I assure you, this CAN be done. 15 year olds all over the world are doing video production and editing with camcorders and PCs. (Although what you would need to do is much more sophisticated.)

And there's this: doing this job would be MUCH more interesting and challenging than what you're doing now, especially if you feel that you've topped out in what youre doing. In video production, there is ALWAYS a new angle to try, a new video or audio technique to try, a new editing trick that can add a new dimension to your final product.

Here's my read: if this is something you want to do, make your deal with the company BUT make sure that they will support you and give you time to take a crash course in video production, scriptwriting and producing/directing at a local community college or university. In two semesters, you can gain enough basic skills to understand what you need to do. (Hey, I spent four years in college plus 18 years on the job learning this...and still realized how much more there was to learn.) If they really want you to do this, trust me, the tuition and your salary will be CHEAP compared to the cost of a single video production. Use that training to give you the skills needed. BTW, I actually have a recently retired friend who was a video producer for many years at the Univ. of GA, and who might be able to recommend local programs that would help you gain the basic skills needed.

There are also professional organizations that you can join to build your video production skills. And when it comes to script-writing, you can learn the basics in a few weeks; the trick is to keep your own mental editor turned on so that you write at a very conversational, clear level - like you were explaining concepts to your brother-in-law while sitting on the couch over a cup of coffee.

I assume that the company plans to use you as the producer and let you hire local production firms to do the video production. That means you won't have to run the camera, wire the mikes or otherwise spend your time making the equipment work. I've usually done all this in addition to script-writing and being the producer, and being the on-site producer/director is also a learned skill. But when you operate this way, 8-10 years ago the industry standard was to estimate at least $1000 PER MINUTE for the finished video product. You will be hiring actors (prossibly non-union, depending on a variety of things) and crews, so your role will be producing (the overall coordinator of everything) and directing (going on-site and making sure that all shots are captured) as well as overseeing the editing. I think it would be greatly to your advantage to find a video production firm that can provide the expertise you will lack in terms of "visual grammar" to set up shots, compose the production visually, and so forth.

If they think you can do all the equipment work as well as the producer/director role, I and many of my colleagues are proof that it can be done, but there's a lot more in the learning curve. There are many, many gradations of how video work is done, with one extreme being a producer that hires everything (cast, crew, equipment, services) and the other extreme being the one-man band that does the whole process and only hires support (actors, crew) when the specific production requires it.

Edited to add one more comment: you can safely assume that the company has absolutely NO CLUE about how your job will work if they hire you. They will have no idea of how video production is done, or the time or resources required. If you're lucky, they have been contracting out of house for everything and therefore have been spending a lot of money, and will therefore find you economical by comparison.

Feel free to call me: cell is (970) 215-1560 or PM me and I'll be glad to talk with you. I may be able to help you understand the process better and ask the right questions. This COULD be a great chance to make a career change and get into a really interesting job. It could also be a chance to get tied up in something that you decide isn't right for you.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Being a professional industrial/education videographer of 31 years now, there's not much I can add to what has been said above. Excellent write up and review.

Be very careful in what you agree to do for this company. As has been stated above, you can either be the maker of deals for a requested production, or chief cook and bottle washer. I've worn both hats, and can't really say for certain which I preferred....though I've done more of the 'chief cook and bottle washer' than the other. I've worked alone for so long, I almost get irritated when someone tries to help me, as I know what I want to do, and how. It takes more effort for me to be civil than to do the work. Now you know why old photographers and videographers get cranky as they age.lol ;)

Anyway, get specific details of what is expected before putting your John Hancock on a contract. Once that's in hand, THEN do some exploration of the 'how's of the job before making that final decision.

Personally, I'm trying to decide what I want to do BESIDES this career now. I'm a bit weary of the work.[huh]

Regards! Michaelson

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I heard a neat little statistic a while back, goes something like, "the average North American will have seven carreer changes before retirement". I don't know if that's true or not, but it makes good sense, just from observing my own family. Gone are the days when you devoted your entire working life to one company, and in return they took care of you and yours:(

I'd say the only thing you should worry about is making sure your commitments are taken care of, and that you establish clearly your responsibilities in this new job, (I've had some companies walk all over because of not having on paper certain things:mad:) but live and learn, and all that.

If that's all covered, I'd say follow your heart, if you're ready for a change take the plunge, they're nerve wracking, but fun as all get out:D
And that's the important thing, have fun at what your doing, enjoy it whatever it is.:)

Michaelson

One Too Many
scotrace said:
"You have to do what you love"

Steve Jobs

True, but more often than not, you have to do what puts groceries on the table for Mom and the kids, whether you 'love' it or not. .;)

Regards! Michaelson

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Wow.....that is some fantastic advice and insight. I knew some of you out there would have goods words to input. Yes, putting food on the table for my family is goal one. That's why this was easy to say no to at first, but then when they hit me with the money, I knew I had to do some serious thinking. It is a good opportunity to make a career change, because yes I’ve topped out at what I do. I feel if this is something that doesn’t work out, I could get work tomorrow doing what I do best around the Atlanta area. I’ve hit them with a few more points of concern and once I get the answers I want to hear, I believe I’ll take the plunge.

Pilgrim,
They have no idea what the job consist of and they do expect me to do it all at first, but have made it clear that they would want me to get more on the production / editor side, reviewing the work of others from around the US/World and leading them as to what they need to focus on. I know this will be a learning experience for the firm and me. They seem to have an open check book, and a willingness to learn and support and I have an open pocket with a willingness to learn and ask for support. I might be calling on you for some more advice and contact to further my education and I was planning on asking this firm for some education on the videographer side of things.

Michaelson,
Luckily there are no contracts involved, so I can walk away from it if it doesn’t pan out, but I will be burning the bridge of my current employer I believe. I’m sure I can always find work around here if so.

Scotrace,
What I would really love is to hit that $150m loto, but if I’ve got to work, I do love the construction industry, but have gotten burnt out on the design side and don’t care for the project manager stuff (too much golf 7 paper pushing).

CanadaDoll,
How right you are. Since 1984 I’ve worked for four different contractors, and that seemed to be the only way to get a pay increase. I worked for one contractor that had employees for 30 to 40 years, and nothing to show for it, only 2 weeks vacation, and some where laid off just as they where approaching retirement. So, I’ve learned that loyalty is a one sided affair for these contractors.

Thank all of you for some good words and advice.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Michaelson said:
True, but more often than not, you have to do what puts groceries on the table for Mom and the kids, whether you 'love' it or not. .;)

Regards! Michaelson

I was using the nonsense they taught me in Macroeconomics: "All other things remaining equal..."

But you are 100% right!

Markbcvg

New in Town
I'm curious - how do they do their production/editing now? I might suggest asking them if you can contact the other videographers and production/editing people in the company to discuss their daily tasks and work atmosphere. Also, of course, check their financials - and if they referenced work they have done, look up and call the customer for opinions on their quality of work.

BTW, I am from Atlanta, moved to SW Ohio several year ago.

Good Luck!

Mark

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The note immediately above makes sense.

How are they doing things now? If they expect you to assemble a production of video pieces sent in from various locations, you would be completely at the mercy of the people who shoot those materials.

At the very LEAST, you'd need to have them shooting from a well-developed script, with their portions clearly laid out - and all it would take to have a lousy production is one guy armed with a camcorder shooting home video. Frankly, I would not be interested in working in a setup like that, because I couldn't ever be sure I'd have what I needed to work with. This is NOT a mode of production that is likely to be very successful.

It would be much more productive for you to become the overall (Executive) producer: work with whoever the decision-maker is to create the script (very important if you want the final product to be approved), then have local branches line up video producers to work with you - based on criteria you provide to them, and after you've interviewed the video production company by phone, and then for you to travel to each location and oversee the video production on-site. You will still need good editing facilities and a narrator so that you can assemble a quality product. A successful video production always reflects the vision of one person, and that doesn't come from picking up pieces at the thrift store.

I want to stress that this outfit seems to be learning what video production is, and it's not necessarily thinking about setting it up in a way that will be successful. In order for this to work, you will need direct input from people in authority to create a script - then have them review and approve that script - then go to production - then submit a draft product (and expect revisions, which may require re-shooting some segments) - and finally, create a final product. You must get input and initial approval from as high up as possible before anyone starts the actual production.

Hitchcock used to say that once he had finished the script, all the work was done. What remained was simply to execute the script as written. That may be hyperbole, but there is a LOT of truth in it. A script is like a blueprint for a house - it tells you what the project will look like, what materials are required, and where all the pieces go.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
The firm is very well established and doing very well financially. I researched that right after they first contacted me.

This will be a learning experience for them and me. I have to tone down the amount of professionalism of their current videography. They did hire some “pros”, but I guess they just didn’t work out for what ever reason. They currently have their IT guys doing most of this and they know nothing about construction. I will be working with them in getting equipment and my needs meet, and as this gets rolling will probably get more experienced type hired on that I can educate on what to focus on in their filming. This is starting out from the ground level. I’m sure my equipment to start out with will be nothing more than a handycam, microphone, and some off the shelf video editing programs for my pc. My biggest task to starting out is to get educated in videograpy, learning about equipment and filming techniques. I guess I need to brush up on my grammar and spelling as well. Thank God for “spell check”.

I did except their offer Saturday, so I will soon be working for them. It’s scary because I’m stepping outside my comfort zone, but I believe it could lead to a new rewarding carrier. After all I think some risk is necessary for success.

Markbcvg

New in Town
Stinchcomb said:
I did except their offer Saturday, so I will soon be working for them. It’s scary because I’m stepping outside my comfort zone, but I believe it could lead to a new rewarding carrier. After all I think some risk is necessary for success.

How is the job going, Stinchcomb?

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo