Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carey Mulligan cast as Daisy in remake of "The Great Gatsby"

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Count me as underwhelmed...And at the risk of alienating folks who love it, I have long believed Gatsby to be the single most insanely overrated novel in all of American literature. As an old English major, I know from experience that it's great for what my creative writing advisor memorably called "that old lit-crit shit"...

Ah yes, thank you!

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
It's admittedly nitpicking, but , in fact, the 1974 movie is not the original. It too was a remake.

There was a 1949 version with Alan Ladd as Gatsby and a 1926 version with Warner Baxter in the role.

The Redford movie was just as much a remake as the new version.

And really none of these movies was "original." They were all adaptations of a book, which is the original material. This is the case with many movies. So many movies were based on a book or stage play or comic book (they are not graphic "novels"). And whether or not the first movie adaptation sticks close to the source material that is the way the story is expected to look forever more. I look forward to a new Gatsby movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21