Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartoon shows that you remember watching as a kid

It's funny, my parents used to watch The Simpsons all the time when I was a kid and I watch it now and there's so much now that I didn't understand then lol

I used to babysit a little boy whose parents told me he was allowed to watch The Simpsons. One night there was the episode where Bart does a ridealong in a police car, and they pull up outside a sleazy motel and the cop says "There's Mayor Quimby's car. He's polling the electorate". I burst out laughing and the little boy did NOT understand what I found funny. Fortunately.

I don't think my favourite cartoon has been mentioned - Battle of the Planets. I also loved Pepe le Pew, Rocky & Bullwinkle and Dangermouse.

When I was a kid back in the early 60's...Rocky and Bullwinkle show came on during prime time in the middle of the week. My folks watched this program and laughed all the time at the one liners and quick witted scripted dialog and my sister and I, didn't get what all the fuss was about...to me it was just another cartoon...but as I grew older...the Rocky and Bullwinkle show became more apparent that it was a satire on current events at that time, poking fun at the "Cold War", the space race, American politics etc. Not unlike the Marx Brothers comidies...you have to listen very carefully to what they are actually saying...and a little knowledge of history of what was going on back then... and it becomes very funny...in my opinion.

Jim

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
When I was little, the Disney Channel always used to broadcast compilations of their animated shorts from the '30s and '40s. Of all the shorts I've seen, I have the most vivid memories of this one:

The Old Mill (1937)

[video=youtube;MYEmL0d0lZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYEmL0d0lZE[/video]

Speaking of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I was at a friend's house a few weeks ago, he was set up on a blind date with this Russian girl. I asked her to say 'moose and squirrel' and she did. It was the highlight of my week.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Ren & Stimpy (yes, I'm only 26). When I watch it now I can see how much of an homage it was to classic cartoons.

The '90s was the Golden Age for TV cartoons, as in this era animators were given a lot of freedom and room to experiment. This 2nd Golden Age of cartoons was brought upon thanks to the success of "Who Framed Rodger Rabbit" in 1988. I'm 21 and an animator so Ren and Stimpy is both nostalgic and visual eye candy, save for the grotesque illustrations the show would sometimes have.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The '90s was the Golden Age for TV cartoons, as in this era animators were given a lot of freedom and room to experiment. This 2nd Golden Age of cartoons was brought upon thanks to the success of "Who Framed Rodger Rabbit" in 1988. I'm 21 and an animator so Ren and Stimpy is both nostalgic and visual eye candy, save for the grotesque illustrations the show would sometimes have.

Ren and Stimpy, now nostalgic! I must be getting older....

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I was at a friend's house a few weeks ago, he was set up on a blind date with this Russian girl. I asked her to say 'moose and squirrel' and she did. It was the highlight of my week.

That is funny. I remember Rocky and Bullwinkle very well.

I haven't gone through the rest of this thread, but...I recall Top Cat, the Jetsons, the Flintstones, the Bugs Bunny Show, the Beatles cartoons, Smokey Bear (vaguely), among others.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Do you have a magic nose goblin collection? 'I picked them myself.' LOL

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
I watched lots and lots of the old Warner Brothers cartoons (normally lumped in together on The Bugs Bunny and Road Runner Show or the Bugs and Daffy Show, etc.). As far as a new cartoon at the time, Hong Kong Phooey is one I recall.

Renault

One Too Many
'Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!'
'Again?'
Nuthin' up my sleeve! . . . Presto!!'
<cue large animal head and roar>

Cracked me up every time!

"Time to get a new hat!!!!!!!!"

Okay,,, Lemme see if I can get this straight.........

The "Kurwood Derby" was on the "Ruby Yacht of Omar Kayam" when it sunk on "Veronica Lake" where it could be seen from the "Isle of Lucy" while atop "Watchataka Peak". Correct????? Did I get that right????

Renault

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I remember watching the old Schlesinger Superman cartoons as re runs on Nic at Night... those were works of art.

Mostly though it was the classics I enjoyed the most. Looney Tunes, and the old Disney shorts featuring Donald Duck or Goofy (absolutely loved the sport shorts with Goofy.)

Other than that? It was the Batman and then later the Superman animated series... those had that old school feel so I think that's why I was drawn (no pun intended) to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo