Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant's Suit in Nth by NW article

cookie

I'll Lock Up
What every traveller needs to stay smart.

North by Northwest isn’t a film about what happens to Cary Grant, it’s about what happens to his suit. The suit has the adventures, a gorgeous New York suit threading its way through America. The title sequence in which the stark lines of a Madison Avenue office building are ‘woven’ together could be the construction of Cary in his suit right there — he gets knitted into his suit, into his job, before our very eyes. Indeed some of the popular ‘suitings’ of that time (‘windowpane’ or ‘glen plaid’) perfectly complemented office buildings. Cary’s suit reflects New York, identifies him as a thrusting exec, but also arms him, protects him: what else is a suit for? Reflects and Protects: a slogan Cary’s character, Roger Thornhill, might have come up with himself

http://www.granta.com/Magazine/Granta-94/Cary-Grants-Suit?view=articleAllPages

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Rittmeister said:
Does anyone know who made the suit, or who his tailor was in general?
Kilgour made the NbyNW suits and they were one of CG's favorite tailors but he used several different firms over the years.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
Great article. I watched N by NW today and would love to have that suit. I love the way the pants come up so high. Who carries the most current equivalent to that suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner