Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Fedora: from T-Shirt to a Shirt & Tie

duggap

Banned
Mustang, I have four of Art's hats, one of which is the Tucker. I dress casual, but not to the extent of t's. The Tucker would probably work. You might also look at the LaSalle. I posted mine in the threat on diamond bashes. I believe a raw edge brim is less dressy than a bound edge brim. Just my opinion.:)

Mustang

One of the Regulars
duggap said:
Mustang, I have four of Art's hats, one of which is the Tucker. I dress casual, but not to the extent of t's. The Tucker would probably work. You might also look at the LaSalle. I posted mine in the thread on diamond bashes.

Do you by chance, have any photos of you wearing them? That would be most helpful.

duggap said:
I believe a raw edge brim is less dressy than a bound edge brim. Just my opinion.:)

I've come to the same conclusion. Mine will definitely have a raw edge brim.;)

duggap

Banned
Mustang, sorry I don't have pics of me wearing them. I hate to admit it but I have never learned how to post pics. I have always had help. I will try and learn. You really should consider that LaSalle as it is my most favorite hat and I feel like it has a real good casual look to it. I am definitely considering having Art do one in a light blue color as well but that sand color is very handsome. :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I think for hats to make a comeback however big or slight, it would be moreso on the backs of the t shirt & jeans crowd rather than getting people to also start wearing better clothes all the way around.
I started with the Indy type with jeans and moved to button up shirts and khakis. And as budget will allow I will pickup even nicer clothes, I have some nice clothes but would have to lose weight for most of them :eusa_doh: . But if I thought I could only wear it with a shirt and tie then I would not be as into them.:eek:

surely

A-List Customer
I dressed more formally than I usually do now. Many of my hats are vintage dress hats. I love to wear any of them, they feel and look cool to me. So,no matter what I'm wearing, I look to see which hat makes the best "look" Sometimes I'm surprised how a hat I thought might not work looks just right. Go figure

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I was wearing one of my hats by Art today and although I was dressed casual I still got the "you're dressed up today" comments. A good fedora will do that for you. BTW, I was wearing dark indigo Levi's LVC 1937 model, blue plaid work shirt and black oxfords with an M-1943 field jacket. Art's lid "dressed me up".;)

Mustang

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I think for hats to make a comeback however big or slight, it would be moreso on the backs of the t shirt & jeans crowd rather than getting people to also start wearing better clothes all the way around.

I absolutely agree. I think I'm a good example. I fully intend to dress up more often. If for nothing else, so my fedora (when I get it) will look appropriate. Of course "dress up" is a relative term.;)lol

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I figured this would be fitting:

You be the judge:

FedoraT-Shirt-1.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
That looks fine. IMO, the only rule is there are no rules. You should be able to take a hat (or any accessory) and make it work with your style. The perfect contemporary example would be the guitarist, Slash. I don't really care for his music much but he took what was long considered a formal hat style and worked it into a rock and roll context, mainly because he had the confidence to pull it off. Be true to yourself. ;)

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
It's good to know there are others who have this issue. I really like hats, and dress up every now and then, but am mostly casual. A lot of the the photos posted on the Lounge was one of the deciding factors for me to purchase my first fedora.

B R A N D X®

Familiar Face
indycop said:

Yep.....baby steps!:)

Edward

Bartender
Certainly. It seems to me that a lot of folks nowadays are as like to don a suit as their 30s counterparts were white tie and tails. Unless there is a serious cultural shift in terms of what is acceptable, I should imagine that the trend towards casualisation in clothing won't reverse much. I gather, though, that a lot of places here in London dropped "casual Friday" in recent years.

TimBer

New in Town
Just not with sneakers.

I have not hesitated to wear my fedora with everything from a suit and top coat to tee shirt and jeans. It is still pretty cold so I am seldom outside in short sleeves. I have also not hesitated to wear my fedora with a snow jacket even though I prefer to wear a coat.

I draw the line at sneakers. I have not worn my fedora - outside of the house - while also wearing sneakers. It just doesn't feel right. When the time comes to start wearing shorts again, I imagine I will not wear my fedora with shorts either.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
TimBer said:
I draw the line at sneakers. I have not worn my fedora - outside of the house - while also wearing sneakers. It just doesn't feel right. When the time comes to start wearing shorts again, I imagine I will not wear my fedora with shorts either.

:eek: I definitely agree with you there!

schuface

New in Town
The Tucker seems like it would be a very good choice for a casual hat. For a long time all I had was a warm color fedora and a generally cool toned one. Between the two I was always well corked. The "Tucker" on my monitor seems like a perfect warm colors hat. Treat yourself to a Tucker and a Sportaire and You should be good to go with any t-shirt event. "More is better"?? or wait If "Less is More" and "More is Better" Yeah! Get Both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot