Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual vs. Formal colors?

Jazzcat

New in Town
I was just curious. What colors would you folks recomend for the casual fedora? I live in Florida and have a nice staw for those perfect sunny days. But I don't dare take it out if there's a chance of rain. I'd like to get a light weight fedora to wear with shorts and summer shirts on those warm rainy days. Is there a color that is considered more formal or more casual? Does a thinner ribbon add to the casual look?

macfly

Familiar Face
I would imagine that the darkest colors are considered most formal...such as black or dark brown. The lighter beige and tans are probably more casual. But the style could dress up a more 'informal' color. For example, Akubra has an interesting light colored hat, the Flemington , for the races which is pretty dressy in style for a more casual purpose.

ortega76

Practically Family
I'd say that it depends on the style and color. For more formal occasions I think black, charcoal gray, navy, wine and camel are pretty good colors. I especially think I like the look of a camel hat with a camel topcoat. My great uncle rocked that look at church on Christmas Eve and he looked stunning!

Casual can be done with just about anything. Black can still be casual, especially in a stingy. Browns and tans are definitely pretty casual. How about a nice medium gray- it'll go with most casual outfits. Especially in a shorter brim like 2 inches.

Torpedo

One Too Many
I would think colour is not so defining factor as others are, as regards to formalness or casualness - of course I am referring to conventional colours, not electric blue, red, and the like, or those modern hats with stripes and so on.

I see thin ribbons as less formal. Also, any ribbon in materials other than silk or grosgrain or similar is less formal: for instance, leather or horse hair; as are those with buckles or other ornaments, like feathers (an appropriate hat pin can work, though). Ribbons of more than one colour are less formal, unless the secondary colour is in the form of a discreet accent (Art Fawcett is a tasteful person as far as these are concerned).

My opinion, anyway.

Regards!

I agree with Torpedo on ribbon treatment more than color with regard to casual vs formal. Thin ribbons were typically considered "country" hats where wider ribbons were "city" hats = hats you wore to town, dressier. Thin ribbons were those of your country gentleman ranchers/farmers/hired hands, though a newer, clean one was kept for going into town, out on Saturday night or Sunday go to meeting use... gtd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21