Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ceramic Stoves

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm thinking about buying a stove for some old marcel wavers I have, but it doesn't look like the ones listed on ebay have heat control functions. They just say on the listings that they get "hot."

Does anyone know if you can buy a stove that will allow you to turn down the heat? I'd hate to burn off all of my hair!

miss_elise

Practically Family
i don't know about controllable heat... but i imagine if you got it too hot you would just take it out to cool it...

wasn't someone about here suggesting you should test the heat by laying a tissue over it... if it burns the tissue it will burn you hair...

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Normally for ceramic stoves or ovens there is not a heat control option, you simply put the tool of choice in the oven wait till it gets hot and test it on tissue paper, if the tissue paper yellows at all it is to hot to put in your hair you have to wait till no yellow appears when it is placed on the tissue. Hopefully that will help out a bit.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much ladies! I really want to use one of those old 1920s crimpers, but the idea of having no heat control scares me! I think I'll stick to what I know.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
My Elite Golden Supreme heater is adjustable, from 1-10. It is a modern one, but it is art deco styled.

Mine is red:

BXGSHE2100.jpg

They are about $199 new, but I got mine on ebay for almost nothing. The one setting doesn't wave my hair, and it singes on 10. I have hard to wave hair so I use about a 6-7 usually.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Sounds more about stoves than irons / wavers at this point.

Don't feel bad. I thought it was misplaced when I saw the title because I didn't know better. Now I'm deeply fascinated. I need to learn more about these! Gorgeous design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy