Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champ Featherweight Has Narrow Escape!

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
I just obtained my first fur felt fedora, a vintage champ featherweight in metal tan. But as Yogi said, "It ain't over 'till it's over"..It's very true. It was almost the first fur felt fedora that I "bought" but didn't get!

I was shipped USmail, with brown kraft wrapping around it's original box. Well, the package was mashed and punctured. The box was destroyed. Amazingly, the hat survuved. No moth bites, like new. And, it sure is a good looking hat! It fits perfectly, and the felt will sure spoil a fellow. WoW!! See pictures,attached. Regards, F_M

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

101_0601.JPG

101_0602.JPG

MattJH

One Too Many
I've been looking for one of these for a while now. I know a Lounger has one in my 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 size, but I can't remember who it was. If you're reading this, PM me.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a close call. I always worry about things getting mashed in the mail, I think this example justifies it!

It's quite a hat, too.

Not to take away from the thread but rather to add to it, I recently picked up a hat exactly like yours, though not as nice. Gray Champ Featherweight.
Stratolinerclone.jpg

As you said, the felt is nice and they look great.

Enjoy the hat you almost didn't get! ;)

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Nice hat Thunder

Nice hat. The metal tan, though a tan, looks a littly gray in certain light. That gray one sure looks nice. I'm sure enjoying mine. F_M

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Nice hat. I have one like it that I have worn for years. I did, however, change the ribbon. It's a very comfortable hat.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I believe Panama Bob had a customer who complained that he didn't get a proper hat box with his hat. Bob rightly pointed out that the box it came in should qualify. Bob, and people who know what they're doing, send hats in solid corrugated boxes that have a little rigidity. Says a lot about the hat that it came through unscathed.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
I emailed the seller some photos of the package, and step by step as I unpacked. I sent them in a courteous note, with the intent to allow the shipper to learn from this shipping experience. I know I learned. Next time I buy any hat that will be shipped, I will be more diligent to insure that it gets shipped properly. :)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Glad it came through safely. As an ebayer myself I would have shipped that hat in it's original box with that box wrapped in bubble wrap or supported by shredded paper in a larger corrugated cardboard box.

Matt

shortbow

Practically Family
Hey, nice hat and interesting coincidence. I have the same hat, NOS, in the mail. Hope mine fares better in transit than yours. Glad you got a good one.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Hat Box Insert

This was the hat box insert that saved the day. It gave up its life to save the hat. I guess I need to have it bronzed!

From the comments in this thread, there seems to be alot of Champ FW's out there. Well, I'm going to Tallahasse this morning, and I'm wearing mine.
Regards, F_M

101_0608.JPG

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Marlin,

I saw this hat in the other thread and commented there. I'd like to see pics of the inside crown and sweatband to compare to a similar Champ I have. Mine is certainly lightweight felt but has no liner and no mention of "Featherweight" on the sweatband so I'm curious. My hat looks like a ringer for this same style but yours looks to be in better overall shape. Congrats!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley