Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Change hardware color

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
Hi All,

I received my custom jacket from U.S authentic today. The fitting is perfect but it came with gold hardware which was not discussed and I don’t like it. Have any of you tried changing the color ? I saw a YouTube video where she paints nail polish , but I think it’s not permanent atleast for zippers. Snaps stay a while .

Thanks ,

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I don't think paint will help... in the long run it will chip, and that will look worse. What's wrong with brass? If it's too shiny, it will dull in a short time, and aged brass looks fantastic next to leather. What type of jacket is it?

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
@Guppy its in vintage horsehide(brown) , style similar to Schott 641HH with few customization. Will post pics soon. lining and hardware were not discussed and I assumed will be same as stock black horsehide I received for fit pics. Yet to contact Shaul.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
you can force antiquing it to dull the shine, there are many info on youtube, for example smear mustard over it and leave overnight.

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
982C4C6D-0487-49D2-BD81-2DCD2D431513.jpeg
B7D4BBBC-B046-4496-A0D6-2AC731BD5D1A.jpeg
@Guppy here’s a pic of color. Also the color of the swatch is darker then what I received . What can I do here ?

@navetsea thanks, will look into that .

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@ton312 is it expected for jacket to be different color than swatch ? I liked the darker shade in swatch.
Leather color varies from hide to hide. It's not completely unreasonable for there to be that amount of variance, in my opinion.

I think that the brass looks fantastic, and I would keep it as it is, and let it age naturally.

But if you really didn't want brass and don't like it, and were expecting what you saw on the website without changes other than what you specified, I'd say you're entitled to some remedy. Maybe they can switch out the hardware for you. But personally, I wouldn't risk that.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The average jacket takes around 6 skins to make.
Considering the natural variation in the leather it is common to have different panels with slightly different grain or shade.
I don't think the variations shown in your above picture is out of the ordinary.

Regarding the zipper, brass is often considered "standard" with brown leather. I think it looks great.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 160082 @ton312 @Guppy back of the jacket is lighter than the front. This is another concern . Can we make it darker like the swatch ? Will Mail Shaul too.

I barely see any difference between the two on my monitor.

You can make leather darker, through applying oil-based treatments to it, such as mink oil. Or you could dye it. But I wouldn't recommend doing either. Treat the leather when it needs to be treated, years from now. You don't want to over-treat the leather, as that can be bad for it, or for the stitching.

Anyway, it will change color all on its own with natural aging, and over time was you grow used to looking at it, you'll probably appreciate it for what it is, or rather what it has become.

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
I'd leave well enough alone if I were you. How is the fit?
The fit is perfect . 19 inches shoulder , 26 inches sleeves, ~22 p2p, ~19.7 waist. Biceps little baggy than I requested, but ok. I asked him 7.5 inches on biceps , got 8+. For the price It’s good . Almost same $ as Simmons bilt stock horsehide on eBay.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The fit is perfect . 19 inches shoulder , 26 inches sleeves, ~22 p2p, ~19.7 waist. Biceps little baggy than I requested, but ok. I asked him 7.5 inches on biceps , got 8+. For the price It’s good . Almost same $ as Simmons bilt stock horsehide on eBay.
Appears you did very well. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you'd gotten 7.5" arms, you might have gotten unwelcome binding. No one can question the build quality of Stu's jackets. I see no significant negatives.

barnabus

One Too Many
Anyway, it will change color all on its own with natural aging, and over time was you grow used to looking at it, you'll probably appreciate it for what it is, or rather what it has become.

Absolutely this!

The whole jacket will weather and patinate as you wear it, and the more you wear it the more that'll happen. What seems glaring to your eye right now will doubtless become indistinguishable in no time.

Also, it looks bloody fantastic as it is!

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
There was something off with jacket so I measured again. The shoulders are 1 inches bigger and he won’t make any changes . Any advice here ?

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
I would regard that as lucky if the fit is perfect
as per him it's within tolerance limit, but for me 1 inches big on shoulder is 2 sizes up. It's even bigger than the stock jacket he sent. What's the use of going custom, when its gonna be this big difference. Will check with my credit card company too. Shaul is not replying to emails nor accepting calls.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I once ordered a custom G-1 from Shaul so that I could specify the shoulder, chest, back, and arm length measurements. The turnaround time was amazingly fast, I paid for the jacket online Sunday evening and received it that Wednesday. Unfortunately, none of the measurements I specified were correct Chest and shoulders were both at least an inch bigger and the body length was 2 inches longer than I had asked for. I sent off an angry email to which he replied that I should send the jacket back and he would fix it. He was not at all apologetic and I got the distinct feeling that he didn’t really give a damn.
From the photos you have posted the jacket looks quite nice, but I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing similar (or worse) treatment from U.S. Authentic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch