Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changeling - Clint Eastwood & Angelina Jolie

Esme

One of the Regulars
Enough with the tat bashing! Jeez, Louise! What does that have to do with the movie? Does she even show her tats in the movie? We have been through this and through this. Get over it.

And no, I don't have any tats, as I am one of those 50 year old, fat, wrinkled women who aren't supposed to have any tats as we are all here to either decorate your world or disappear when we don't suit your taste.
Blah!!

:rage: :rage: :eek:fftopic: :rage: :rage:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
For a truly vintage "Movie" experience the theatre could spray Guerlaine's "Shalimar" through the airconditioning, which I dont think the multiplex's are willing to do, but you could stop by David Jones and give yerself a "Spritz" before entering the theatre
guerlainshalimar.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And now, back on topic . . .

So, now everyone's hopefully got all that out of their systems, has anyone actually seen the movie and can offer their own opinion of it? I don;t pay much attention to the critics in the media - half the time they pan a movie that I find I quite enjoyed.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I saw the movie.

The story is told in a straightforward, plodding way. It has some good, exciting moments, but taken as a whole it lacks creativity.

Nits to pick:

The male extras were more authentically costumed than were the male leads (except for John Malkovich).

The vistas of downtown Los Angeles are ten years behind the times. The story takes place in the late '20s, but downtown L.A. looked like that in 1915.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
It starts here on Thursday at the wonderful ART DECO Picadilly, its ever such good value all sessions are $12.00 ( 33 cents american)

lobby.jpg

I do amit the wrought iron furiture is a worry, and please dont get me started on that carpet! but just look at those fabulous old bones of the theatre. If I owned it!!!!! Mirrors everywhere , Black Vitrolite floors, with polar bear skin rugs, white pigskin fat couches, all very Cedric Gibbons

I will post a review on Friday night, Must admit it looks like a bit of a 20's soap!

images

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I wrote a post about this movie in another thread, see here. As I wrote, the word that really comes to mind is solid. The movie was rock-solid, a good story, beautifully told, it kept a good pace (not too fast). Everything was just totally Eastwood.

Jolie was fine in the role, and the movie was also aesthetically pleasing - very much so, in fact.

And, I think they had some Remix shoes in the movie:

the_changeling3.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the info Marc and Laura! It does seem worth a look.

Esma, it looks like we're headed for another 42 degree day here on Saturday (that's 108 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale), it hasn't been as bad as Melbourne or Adelaide here but not much better. I feel your pain.

tuppence

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
I've decided to go to the Sunday morning session 10.30 am!!!!!!! i will probably have the whole cinema to myself, and can sit there making believe I'm Cecil B De Mille watching the daily "Rushes" (minus the cigar)

I'll wait for your seal of approval Binkie.
I think if it's good, it would be worth traveling a bit further and seeing it at one of the art deco cinemas.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
tuppence said:
Don't worry Esme, I'm glad you stood up for yourself. Sexist and ageist.Should be a law against it.
Nobody here had even addressed Esme, much less attacked her. [huh]

tuppence

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Nobody here had even addressed Esme, much less attacked her. [huh]

Understood Tomasso, but I come from a place where political correctness rules.
Discrimination and insensitivity of any kind should be taken personally, regardless of whether it relates to you or not.

swinggal

One Too Many
It's a really good movie, I saw it last night. A sad but well-told story and Angelina was very good in the part. I particularly liked the cloche hats she wore. Some lovely examples. The only thing I didn't like about her 20s makeup was her lips. They were made up to be WAY too full at a time when the rosebud look was in and smaller lips were desireable. If you HAD big lips naturally, like she does you would have done anything to make them appear thinner with makeup.

I did some research about the story before i went to see the movie and it is pretty accurate bar a few things.

- Northcott's mother had a HUGE part in the killings too. She actually admitted to killing Walter Collins and then recanted later, but she helped kill others and lived with Northcott. She was also sent to jail. She wasn't mentioned in the movie.
- The boys were not only killed but tortured and raped as well. Aweful :(
- The boy who pretended to be her son was actually 12 years old
- Walter was given money to go to the movies while she went to work. I don't know why they didn't say that. My parents all did the same at that age when they were kids, walked to the movies themselves so it was nothing unusual at the time.
- She exchanged letters and photos with the boy before she saw him again. it wasn't until she saw him face to face that she realised it wasn't him.
- Collins went on to win a lawsuit against the police sargeant Jones and was awarded $10,800, which Jones never paid

Here is a real pic of her.

christinecollins.JPG

Esme

One of the Regulars
Hey, Swing Gal! Me and Kitty VonKirsche (I prolly spelled that wrong) are in Perth, too. Binkie or someone, start a PERTH Loungers thread and we will all get together and go to the movies or something.
SwingGal, PM when you are able.

Burnsie

I've seen it and here's my quick two cents - though I wasn't overly impressed immediately after viewing I COULD NOT stop thinking about it for weeks afterward...it really was haunting.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I finaly saw the movie this morning at the "Picadilly" (only $12.00) It was the best thing I've seen in years! LA looked wonderfull was it all Digitaly recreated i wonder , or was it on a back lot? whatever, the streets and trolleys looked so real.

A sad and shocking story, Swing Gal, I have read your post, but I dont think I would have gone to the trouble of researching it before I saw it. I like a few supprises. It held my attention fully for the whole 2 1/2 hours!

Tuppence, at the end of the movie the end credits show a 1935 LA looking exactly like downtown Melbourne!!!!!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
http://www.avid-china.com/cn/showcase/art-of-editing-changeling.asp

P.S there is always a strange smell at the Picadilly, I finaly realised what it is, 70 years of faded popcorn

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
The male extras were more authentically costumed than were the male leads (except for John Malkovich).
That happens fairly often. I believe that it's because lead actors have to stay close to today's standard male/female attractiveness. That means men have to look relatively unfussy and uncostumed, ie, more modern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner