Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changeling - Clint Eastwood & Angelina Jolie

Jovan

Suspended
Might be intentional to her character. Back then, if I understand right, it was more "cool" to be pale, thin, and generally look like you weren't part of the working class. That might extend to using makeup to make you look more white.

How about that costume design? Really great. The men's suits are dead on. I even spy detachable collars on those two men who are probably just extras.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
CANNES review of CHANGELING

A California of Noir Shadows and Blood
21darg600.jpg

A view of the human beast at its worst, the film is a tricky bit of storytelling business, in part because it involves a true crime with no moral gray areas, in part because it takes place in the 1920s, an era so at odds with its modern star that it’s like watching Joan Crawford do Queen Victoria.

full review
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/movies/21dargis.html

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Clint Eastwood is amazing. I know there has been some discussion already on the list about the making of the 'Changeling' but yeh! its on its way 10/31. Clint Eastwood is amazing. I could live without Angelina Jolie but always a pleasure to see John Malkovich...anyone get to work on this film in any way?

Trailer

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I'm definately looking forward to seeing this myself. Just watching the TRAILER makes me awfully sad and angry at the same time. Seems the LAPD has a longer history of mucking things up than I originally thought. I feel so bad for that woman and her son. Angelina Jolie, John Malkovich, co-produced by Ron Howard and produced/directed by Clint Eastwood. This will be a powerful film for sure.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
wow...thought this thread was about a cool new 1920s film.

From a recent review of the movie:

"... but all the cloche hats in the world can’t overcome the film’s frustrating lack of focus."

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The clothing is really nice. One plus about being in LA, is the Archlight Theater has wardrobe displays in their lobby. There was an outfit of the lead male wardrobe, and that maroon crepe dress Jole wears. They were REALLY nice :)

LD

warbird

One Too Many
Interesting film, I like period pieces. However, the film is only based on a true story, not the true story. It is far far over the top compared to what actually happened real life.

The truth was very sad, however resolved, from this institutionalism point of view, after only a few days and not near so dramatic or tragic as the movie.

I hate it when true stories are perverted and you are made to think this is exactly what happened. As too often happens in Hollywood the truth is never exciting enough, so lies have to be made. Sad for me to see Eastwood go down the road of Oliver Stone, who has made a career of taking true stories about JFK and Nixon fir instance and making mockeries of the truth. Just a personal pet peeve.

Foofoogal

Banned
I think Angelina is stunning and also a fab actress. Very versatile. The only other actress that comes close in beauty IMHO is Charlize Theron.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Actually, my problem with AJ isn't her weight (she's always looked to be petite) or any medical modifications made to her (I don't believe she has).........It's the INK. :(

Angelina-Jolie-61.JPG

The right tattoos can look incredibly sexy on a woman. However, her's look idiotic and trashy.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Midnight Palace said:
This is definitely a remake of the 1980 George C. Scott film, though they altered the plot slightly.

changeling.JPG

Are you kidding? The two films have nothing in common except the title. The 1980 picture is a ghost story. I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
warbird said:
I hate it when true stories are perverted and you are made to think this is exactly what happened. As too often happens in Hollywood the truth is never exciting enough, so lies have to be made.

Hence the terms 'inspired by', 'based on', 'adapted from', blah blah blah.

I dont think film can be accurate in that respect, or rather, I dont think its film's job to be.

Movies should spark interest in said topic, and people should go and research. I dont watch movies for facts. If I want to know what really happened, Im gonna read some books.

LD

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
She'd be more period correct if she'd stop getting those collagen injections... lol

You know that is not true and you are deliberately trying to spoil her for everyone else around here with your calumnies!....:D :D :p ;) ;)

Matt Crunk said:
The right tattoos can look incredibly sexy on a woman. However, her's look idiotic and trashy.

Sooo unkind!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Either way, I loved the clothes, and I'm glad that films like this are made to put these stories and events to life, otherwise I would have never known about this event in history unless I stumbled upon it doing research... I enjoyed the film because it made me aware of the event... and the cars, clothing, and buildings in the film are fun to look at no doubt ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner