Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Cheap" Straw Hats

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't going to post these because I figured they would disintegrate within a couple of weeks. Yet, they have proven great summer beaters. Just thought I'd share them.

this one is a sort of gold-yellow milan-ish weave with no indication of what it's made of. It's doesn't seem to be paper, and it's very soft.

YellowHatOn01.jpg

YellowHat01.jpg

And here's a green paper straw that has held up surprisingly well.

GreenHatOn01.jpg

GreenHat01.jpg

Just thought I'd share. Cheap ain't always bad.
NB

Erik

One of the Regulars
The way I look at it the more people wearing hats the better, cheap or not.

Especially when most (not here of course) wouldn't necessarily know the difference anyway.

Edward

Bartender
I lean to the view that cheap hats are a great way of experimenting with different styles to find what you like and suits you... It also means that a particular hat style may be a realistic option whereas if only very expensive ones were available most folks might baulk, thinking "it's not worth that when I wouldn't wear it often." Cheaper hats can also be great for a hat to wear someplace where your hat might get lost or trasdhed - if it cost very little, that's no biggie.....

And as has been said already, cheaper hats mean more people wearing them - hopefully upping demand a bit and leading to a lowering in price of the higher quality items too. :)

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like "cheap" hats, if I like the hat. I like "expensive" hats, if I like the hat. I usually can only afford the former and appreciate the latter.

dean

HungaryTom

One Too Many
What else would you use for everyday not to mention physical labour under the sun?

Those hats look good -I personally like the 'straw' colored straw more- and serve their purpose.
And look good!
Something which you would not be sorry to wear and beat etc.
Would you mind sharing the price?
Even in rains you never get heart attack about them.
Have 2 straw: one 10+yrs old wheat straw for gardening - it could be put on a scarecrow and your 'cheap' straw hats are sheer luxury besides that. But it is loaded with 1000's summertime memories - no way to throw it out.

The other is a 70 USD Cuenca - for casual downtown everyday use. the form and aesthetics were however important in all cases.

Very work intense Montecristi are different animals, but no words on them here.

Nonsense to compare just like:
The daily uniform vs. parade uniform.
Your workgear for gardening, hobby vs. yr black tie/tux, etc.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
4-18-07-66a.jpg

Oddly enough, this is a "cheap" Stetson "Indiana Jones" straw. It's good for Arizona summers when the hatband tends to stain from perspiration. You gotta admit though; not a bad lookin' lid!

-dixon cannon

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Dixon Cannon said:
4-18-07-66a.jpg

Oddly enough, this is a "cheap" Stetson "Indiana Jones" straw. It's good for Arizona summers when the hatband tends to stain from perspiration. You gotta admit though; not a bad lookin' lid!

-dixon cannon

Sharp looking indeed....I'm in the market for a straw/panama.....Where did you find that one?

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Nice straw!

I finally (ironically, too, given that this is the wettest Summer here for an age) the other day got around to ordering a Montecristo panama.... can't wait for that to arrive!

Edward said:
I finally (ironically, too, given that this is the wettest Summer here for an age) the other day got around to ordering a Montecristo panama.... can't wait for that to arrive!
Thus furthering my nascent theory of seasonal contrary-wise garment acquisition. I've been seeing overcoats & trenchcoats while making the rounds and here it is July in SoCal, hot and humid.
Edward, I respect a man who uses the word "baulk" in his speech. A woman once used the word "hence" in front of me and I was a goner. Unfortunately, so is she.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:

-dixon cannon

Love that lid, Dixon! I've seen pictures of it, but never on a person. I didn't think much of it until now. The rest of the outfit is great too. I need something like that for those cool spring days.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
I personally like the 'straw' colored straw more- Would you mind sharing the price?

Yeah, the yellow straw one is the one I prefer. It's so soft and comfortable, and a perfect "grab and go" hat when you don't want to use what's inside your head to sort out what to put on it.

Price-wise, I think they were in the $16 - $20 range. I know I got at least one of them at Target (maybe both), and I've seen them there recently. K-Mart and Walmart have also had variations of the yellow one in more of a "natural" tone. Target remains the best place for cheap stingy brims made out of all sorts of materials; denim, paper-straw, cotton canvas. I have a black pinstripe cotton hat I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of, also a Target bargin. I guess I just can't see myself laying out much money on stingies because I rarely wear them (see Edward's comments).
NB

shizzy

New in Town
I have looked at a few of those hats before. I do have a cheap straw cowboy hat I use for fishing. my friends think Im silly but then tell me it fits my personality and I am always the one who leaves the lake WITHOUT a burned head.

Edward

Bartender
My Panama arrvied today in a little Balsawood box, branded Monticristi. Can't upload the photos yet as photobucket is sown for site maintenance. Bum. As soon as. So far, it seems to be comparable in quality to hats I looked at the other weekend in John Lewis and other traditional department stores here at GBP50 or so (that's about 100 US at present). I paid GBP24.95 plus a couple of pounds postage for this one. Wasn't expecting the band to be elasticated, but it seems to be designed to hold it in place (I've not studied a folder in person before, all the hats I've looked at to date have been foldable, but are sold "up" as it were). I think this hat will serve me well for a summer or two at least - hell of a lot less sweaty in curent climate than a felt fedora! lol

There's a school supply shop on Hoe St. in Walthamstow that seems to have a massive selection of straw hats. In their window are boaters, fedoras, optimo crown etc. etc. etc. All very reasonably priced . . .

I guess they must service the public schools, since i suspect it would not be safe to wear such garb to the local high schools.

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
There's a school supply shop on Hoe St. in Walthamstow that seems to have a massive selection of straw hats. In their window are boaters, fedoras, optimo crown etc. etc. etc. All very reasonably priced . . .

I guess they must service the public schools, since i suspect it would not be safe to wear such garb to the local high schools.

bk

You are suggesting that come the revolution every student will go hatless???:rolleyes: Mmmm adelante companeros....:eek:

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:

lol

I suspect you may be right. I once had half a brick thrown at me for wearing "the grammer [sic]" tie.... a hat like that would definitely have been a mistake!!

Not the most obvious part of town, though, I'd have thought for a shop catering to that market!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner