Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out my English Tweed DB

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I did a "But It Now" for this baby on Ebay.uk from Bookster. Spent probably $40 more than I wanted to on it but I thought it looked sweet. It reminded me of an odd jacket that an old Hollywood star might wear back in the Golden Age. My only issue with it is that it has no vents.

Here's the descrip: "Incredible Bespoke Double Breasted Tweed Jacket, half belt action pleat, beautiful expensive pure wool cloth, full luxury satin lining,grey satin sleeve lining, in as new condition, this jacket is of the highest quality, I'll wager you will never see another quite like it. Tailored by Max Brown."

Please comment on its styling and what color/type of pant I might wear with it.

tweed2.jpg
tweed1.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ventless isn't really surprising for a db, though. And ventless is also quite Golden Age. Cary Grant wore ventless a lot.

The combination of db, belted back and patch pockets is indeed unusual. The cloth is lovely. It has something of an Apparel Arts feel about it.

I propose mid-grey flannels and brown suede brogues with it.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I do believe you're right there, BT. Pale cream would be better over white, but you're off in that tattersail would look awful with that pattern, especially if you had to match a tie.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
Please comment on its styling and what color/type of pant I might wear with it.
I love the jacket. I've no problem with vent-less jackets as long as one has an accommodating physique.

As for trouser selection, grey flannel pops immediately to mind.

Shoes001.jpg

Tumbleweed

New in Town
A radical approach to colour theory

Hemingway Jones said:
A beautiful jacket with fantastic back details.

I would pick up the brown line color for trousers, green tie, and white shirt.

First of all, the photo evidence reveals that grey flannels and suede brogues would indeed work wonders.

However, I would disagree with the alternate suggestion of a green tie. Being one of the most audible colours in the spectrum, I am of the mind that green should be battled, not acquiesced to. A green primary garment should be paired with other garments or accessories that serve to mitigate or diffuse its inherent verdantery. Ergo, warm greys or almost-reds (ie : orange or burgundy).

Unless, of course, one is enjoying Christmas in the northern hemisphere, in which case : RED

Caution : not advised.

Oh yes, i've seen that type of tweed matched with Tattersall with great success. My entire childhood was spent surrounded by country types with such predilections.

So Tattersall: cream base with yellow and light brown overcheck. And i'm thinking i'd go with a brown toned knitted wool tie in a plaid . . . one with large squares of varying shades of brown with no overcheck.

For trousers i'd follow Micawber's lead into the realm of moleskin. Probably mustard; just possibly a slightly more brown tone.

Yes, Sir, some definite pattern/colour/fabric mixing possibilities with yonder jacket. I'm not a fan of the cut/style but the fabric is lovely.

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The bookster site is a bit lean at the moment but Peter has some awesome stuff expecially Irish tweeds like Magee etc... He sources so much great UK country stuff...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Micawber said:
Certainly is.

Tweed (that term covering a multitude of sins) is very common in charity shops at the moment. I just returned from an expedition with a lovely Pytchley hacking jacket in thornproof and a pair or NOS 'plus twos' (sold new in 1993 and still have the labels on) by Bladens in Supersax in a pattern very like Cookie's jacket.

The 'plus twos' are much too big for me (they're a 36 inch waist) so I'm looking to find a home for them. If there is any interest, I will put them in the Classified section.

I recently had to pass on a gorgeous Keeper's Tweed 3-piece as I was backpacking and was unable to carry it.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou