Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chico Marx - Borsalino customer

barrowjh

One Too Many
I recently told a cousin about this crazy hat obsession, and he went into a discussion about Chico Marx's hat, advising that Chico wore a Borsalino. Here are some pics of Chico in his Tyrolean type hat, which I presume is the Borsalino, as Chico wore the same hat in all of those movies.
ChicoMarx3.jpg
ChicoMarx.jpg
ChicoMarx2.jpg

I do not have any interest in that style of hat, but figured some folks here in FL would appreciate it anytime some facts about who wore what brand hat can be established. Some background - My cousin Jimmy (James Howard Bryant) is a retired music arranger in Hollywood, having worked for Toyota (commercials) and Disney (Epcot / themepark music collage type work) in prior years. He also did some movie work a long time ago; in his youth sang for the lead male actor in 'West Side Story' (a charactor named Tony, I think). Jimmy says he was so green at that time, he sang that for scale (union wages). Over the years he became a close friend of Bill Marx, one of Groucho's sons, and states it was Bill who told him about Chico's preference for Borsalino.

RBH

Bartender
Cool info! Thanks John.

One of Deans relatives [I believe his great uncle] was Douglas Dumbrille an actor from the 30's .
I have searched for a picture of him in a hat for Dean but have had no luck. Douglas appeared with the Marx brothers twice.

ddumbrll.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Cool info! Thanks John.

One of Deans relatives [I believe his great uncle] was Douglas Dumbrille an actor from the 30's .
I have searched for a picture of him in a hat for Dean but have had no luck. Douglas appeared with the Marx brothers twice.

ddumbrll.jpg

Hey, R! How nice! Thanks! Douglass would be a cousin to my Grandfather, so I really have no idea what he would be to me, except that his facial features are very close to Grandpa Dumbrille. I've got a short subject on DVD that he was in made in 1943 where he's wearing cowboy hat. I'll have to pull a still or two from it. He was in quite a few westerns.

http://www.dougmacaulay.com/kingspud/sel_by_actor_index_2.php?actor_first=Douglass&actor_last=Dumbrille

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21