Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chins Up, Gentleman. Suits in NYT.

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
You have to live in a black community to see people dressing for Easter these days. The women still wear the pastel spring dresses, with the hats, and purses, and flowers, and the men are, as usual keenly dressed.
Correct! The same comments hold true for church. Our church is Queens is embarrassing when it comes to dress. I actually dread the warm weather. Not because of the heat but I am so disgusted to see flip-flops, shorts, and women's underwear hanging out in church.
The local Baptist churches are the only places where you see people dress decent.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Senator Jack said:
...In fact, it's such a rarity, that when those of us who are dressed pass each other on the street, we have to give each other a nod as though we were in some sort of secret society.

Regards,
Senator Jack
"Clean food, SIR?" ;)

JW

New in Town
Senator Jack said:
Regardless of any newspaper copy, any exaggeration, people are not dressed in this city. In fact, it's such a rarity, that when those of us who are dressed pass each other on the street, we have to give each other a nod as though we were in some sort of secret society.

That is an interesting observation. Over here where I live, if you so much as put on a tie and buttoned shirt (even if it is still with jeans! - not that I've ever done that :p ) everyone is asking you what the occasion is. If you dress up in a full suit for work, church, or some other event, then you REALLY stand out, and people stare.

I think a major cause of this is the fact that, even though they all tell each other otherwise, this is still a cowboy town - no matter how many rich, 'sophisticated' people have been moving in from out of state. And if you ever tell anyone this, they get horribly offended - they are convinced that they live in a big sophisticated city.

I suppose one benefit is that nobody cares when you wear your fedora - even if they DO think its a cowboy hat.

So when someone from a city like mine looks at a picture of the streets of New York, there appears to be a very high percentage of suits and people nicely dressed on their way to work, even if its not vintage clothing. Maybe its just a matter of perspective. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy