Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the Correct Hat for your Body Type

citRon

A-List Customer
Hello again Ladies & Gentlemen.
I was wondering if any of the experts here can lend opinions on the best Fedora style (brim width, crown height and crease) for a fellow such as I?
The closest hat shop seems to be 2 hours away, (and alas, as I shall visit as soon as time allows), where I undoubtedly would discover such a thing with multiple fittings. However, I am wanting to purchase a hat or two in the meantime, presumably from an online merchant.
That being said, I am tall and thin, (6'3 200 lbs) with a long face. (although fairly dashing if I might add)
What would the experienced haberdashers amongst you recommend for an everyday wear?

warbird

One Too Many
Do a search here. There is a good description on a website, but I can't remember the link. I should I've been there numerous times, but I can't recall.

Donato

One of the Regulars
citRon said:
Hello again Ladies & Gentlemen.
I was wondering if any of the experts here can lend opinions on the best Fedora style (brim width, crown height and crease) for a fellow such as I?
The closest hat shop seems to be 2 hours away, (and alas, as I shall visit as soon as time allows), where I undoubtedly would discover such a thing with multiple fittings. However, I am wanting to purchase a hat or two in the meantime, presumably from an online merchant.
That being said, I am tall and thin, (6'3 200 lbs) with a long face. (although fairly dashing if I might add)
What would the experienced haberdashers amongst you recommend for an everyday wear?
If you're not too shy, why don't you post a few pics of yourself - tall, thin and dashing - and it might help to better advise you. And no doubt the ladies among us would not mind either!

citRon

A-List Customer
Donato said:
If you're not too shy, why don't you post a few pics of yourself - tall, thin and dashing - and it might help to better advise you. And no doubt the ladies among us would not mind either!

I'm the one on the left!
101_0897.jpg
[/IMG]

pgoat

One Too Many
You look to have a good facial structure - not overly long or narrow or wide or whatever, so you shouldn't need anything unusual from where I sit. Maybe others here can add their opinion.

Those website guides posted are good starting points, and they basically illustrate that what you want in any hat is a good balance that works with your face.

If you already own one or several hats, you might also want to post pics wearing them as a comparison point. I and others have done this and it really helps pinpoint what works and what doesn't.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
citRon said:
...That being said, I am tall and thin, (6'3 200 lbs) with a long face...

If you are tall and thin then I need to see a doctor. I stand at 6'5" and weigh 185 lbs or so. I'm the definition of beanpole...:rolleyes:

So far as I have seen as long as you have broad shoulders (us giants tend to) you can wear a wide brim (I like 2 3/4 in.) but the thing to watch out for is crown height. If you get a hat that is too tall it can look silly but that being said I can pull off an Indy hat pretty well. Wear what you like though and as long as you are confident you shouldn't have a problem.

Donato

One of the Regulars
citRon said:
I'm the one on the left!
101_0897.jpg
[/IMG]
I am so glad that you pointed yourself out. I was beginning to wonder. I agree with the others - you can probably wear just about any hat. You might try going for a lower crown to begin with without spending too much $$ and see how it looks. Maybe a more classic look with a 2.5 or 2.75 brim, 4.5" crown, etc. I happen to like the Akubras - Bogart, Stylemaster, Sidney, etc. Do a seach and take a close look at some styles and colors and take the plunge, but make sure your hat size is accurate. What do you think of the custom made hat here? > http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=494694#post494694

Donato

One of the Regulars
citRon said:
Donato, That looks like what I think of as a good looking fedora for me.
Yes, I agree, but it was custom made by Gus Miller in Cincinnati and cost $250. You can get a nicely made Akubra Stylemaster or Bogart for about $91.00. Check out this thread to see the Stylemaster in "Moonstone Grey," a lighter shade of grey like the Gus Miller fedora. The Stylemaster has a 2.5" bound edge brim and the crown is 4.75" - it comes in a variety of colors but not all are available at the same time: black, acorn fawn, medium brown, two shades of grey - carbon and moonstone, and bluegrass green and navy.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21444&highlight=Akubra+Stylemaster
Or this thread to see my Akubra Bogart in black (it also comes in carbone grey - a dark grey):
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26824&page=3&highlight=Bogart
The Bogart by Akubra:
The Bogart is a modern classic 40's style fedora - made famous by its namesake, Humphrey Bogart.
Pure fur felt
The snap brim is 64mm or about 2 1/2 inches wide with a bound edge.
The hat band is a top quality gros-grain ribbon.
The crown is 100mm-4” high.
Colors are Black or Grey
Classic fedora style

citRon

A-List Customer
I'm also considering killing 2 birds with one stone- I was also researching 'real' Indy style hats- right now I have a cheap wool 'souveneir' type hat that I wear with my Indy getup. (see other post from me), and I'm thinking I might just start with one brown nice fur fedora that can serve that purpose too, and go with my suits. Keep in mind, I am not 'Screen Accurate' obsesed. -What I'm thinking is something with a lower crown up to 5.5, maybe a black ribbon, (aka Kepplars's version, and I know ribbons can be changed), but I do like a larger brim, over 2.5. The Adventurer fits the bill at 5.5; how about the Stetson Temple? It has a smaller crown, although research here varies on Stetson's quality- I do need something rain-worthy. Also, Millers has their own version similar to the Temple. I like the Akubra Sydney, but want a larger brim. Also looking for readily available within a month's time and $150 or less.
Just fishin for remarks I guess, as I've said, there is nowhere locally to see or sample any hats.
p.s. I have a pm in to JPD, just awaiting a reply.

Donato

One of the Regulars
citRon said:
I'm also considering killing 2 birds with one stone- I was also researching 'real' Indy style hats- right now I have a cheap wool 'souveneir' type hat that I wear with my Indy getup. (see other post from me), and I'm thinking I might just start with one brown nice fur fedora that can serve that purpose too, and go with my suits. Keep in mind, I am not 'Screen Accurate' obsesed. -What I'm thinking is something with a lower crown up to 5.5, maybe a black ribbon, (aka Kepplars's version, and I know ribbons can be changed), but I do like a larger brim, over 2.5. The Adventurer fits the bill at 5.5; how about the Stetson Temple? It has a smaller crown, although research here varies on Stetson's quality- I do need something rain-worthy. Also, Millers has their own version similar to the Temple. I like the Akubra Sydney, but want a larger brim. Also looking for readily available within a month's time and $150 or less.
Just fishin for remarks I guess, as I've said, there is nowhere locally to see or sample any hats.
p.s. I have a pm in to JPD, just awaiting a reply.
You did what I would have suggested - PM JPD. He can make you a fedora to fit your specifications. He charges $125 for rabbit fur felt and it will take about one month. The only problem is that I PM'd JPD last week and called him and I still have not received a reply. So maybe he is overloaded right now. I don't know. We Loungers tend to forget that these hatters do have private lives apart from taking our custom orders. In any case, keep trying with Jimmy.
I was also browsing through Indygear.com/cow at Club Obi-Wan and the buzz over there is that Marc and Steve are planning a factory built Adeventurebilt fedora to coincide with the release of the new Indy film on May 22. A price has not been set but it will be "reasonable," according to them - less than the custom built AB's - ? $175.00, depending on how much it costs for them to make. You can be sure that it will be a quality lid. I am planning to wait until then before ordering an Indy style fedora.

citRon

A-List Customer
Heres a couple hats/shapes, while not 'screen accurate' Indies I like:

The Miller Teardrop Fedora, $135
Brim: 2 3/4", 2 5/8", 2 1/2" raw edge (how can it be all 3?)
Crown: 4 5/8" front, 4 1/8" back
Band: 1 3/4" grosgrain band
351.jpg
[/IMG]

The Stetson Temple, found it for $105
Brim: 2 5/8" X 2 3/8" raw edge (snap brim)
Crown: 4" centerdent
Band: 1 3/4" grosgrain band
024a.jpg
[/IMG]

Still, at these prices, I'd like to talk to Jimmy; try to support a fellow Lounger.

Donato

One of the Regulars
I like that Miller fedora. If you need one fast, that would be the one I would order. They are built by Biltmore and are considered decent for the price. I don't know how the Miller can have three different brim sizes. I think you can specify which size you prefer at the time you place your order. I agree it is best to go with Jimmy, unless his wait time is much longer. He has been tough to contact lately.

citRon

A-List Customer
well it seems Jimmy is AWOL; same consensus over at COW. I like the Miller a lot, I'll search the Lounge and see if anyone has experience with it.

job

One Too Many
How come big guys buy small tapered stingy brimmed hats while small guys seem to buy large hats.
To me little brimmed hats on a full face is not flattering. IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21