Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the Correct Hat for your Body Type

facade

A-List Customer
How come big guys buy small tapered stingy brimmed hats while small guys seem to buy large hats.
To me little brimmed hats on a full face is not flattering. IMHO.

Few men have any concept of what style of hat flatters them the most. For most I would say the choice in hat has more to do with their personality. To pull off a wide brimmed fedora, you have to be comfortable with a lot of attention from strangers. An individual who is overweight may not be comfortable with that much attention thus they will gravitate to a smaller brimmed hat. Conversely a man seeking to stand out may opt for a wider brimmed fedora.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This is always an interesting conversation, and an ongoing search for me personally: the perfect dimensions, color, and shape to suit my face and build... In the end, my pattern has always come down to what kind of mood I"m in.

frussell

One Too Many
bowlerman is on the money here, depends on the mood, and also what I'm wearing. I haven't found the "perfect" hat for my face yet. A cowboy hat looks best on me for my own taste, but that's probably because I've been wearing one since I was about 11 months old, when my grandfather bought me my first Stetson and hand-made cowboy boots. With fedoras, it depends on the occasion and what I'm wearing. I'm a big boy, 6'5" and knocking on the door of 300 lbs., so even a 2 1/2" brim looks "stingy" on me. I don't wear them for other people, so if I feel like a stingy, that's what I'll wear. If I feel like a 3" brim that day, that's what works with my face shape. I have found that extremely tapered hats look strange on me, so I don't really wear those. Anything else is fair game, if I can find it in a 7 7/8. Happy day after Christmas. Frank

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It all depends on mood . . . and taste.

I like a very particular hat shape. I think it looks great on me. Other people may not think so. Someone else who wears a drastically different hat than I do may think it looks best on him, and most others who wear it, as well.

You really just have to try hats on and see what makes you smile when you look in the mirror. It could take a while. Or it could happen right away if you happen to get the 'right' hat. I can't recommend enough to a new hat wearer to go to a brick-and-mortar.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It all depends on mood . . . and taste.

You really just have to try hats on and see what makes you smile when you look in the mirror. It could take a while. Or it could happen right away if you happen to get the 'right' hat. I can't recommend enough to a new hat wearer to go to a brick-and-mortar.

Unfortunately, not all brick and mortar stores are really helpful. One store I went to (not Jack's in Wichita) would have sold me anything I'd pay for.

Later y'all

sammyy

New in Town
First of all, it's awesome that there's a forum dedicated to hats, especially these vintage ones! I was brought
here by my appreciation of all things 30s/40s/50s! First time poster, just wondering whether a fedora would suit my face, if so (we can't all have a chiseled sharp jaw!) what sort of crown, brim etc? I was thinking something
like a low-mid height crown with a medium width brim. Not sure the question deserves a new thread, if not
please move the right section of the site.

Xwk2deL.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm looking into a hat and a nice suit to go with it so we can bring back the
golden era!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I wear whatever I think looks regardless of me. I don't really go by those 'face-shape' type guides. Are they helpful, sure, but like was said above...

If you like the 30's - 50's dimensions, they are taller & straighter (minimal taper) crowns, with decent brim sizes.

Welcome to the lounge!

Monte

A-List Customer
Haha, I owned that second hat from the top of the artofmanliness page, a Knox with a buckle on the side of the band. Definitely did not look good on me. But it's all about what you like. I had to beef up my whole wardrobe before I felt comfortable wearing hats.

sammyy

New in Town
Thanks for the links and the welcome gents. You've really got the look nailed there splintercellsz! I'm with you there Monte, a beef up is certainly in order...

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Aye, thanks, my friend!

I started wearing hats with polo shirts, believe it or not! Just wear hats with a collared shirt, and you are good to go! No need for the suits and such, unless you wish to go that route. Daily, I usually wear a collared shurt, pull-over (Hoodless) sweater, and an overcoat with my fedoras.

Not my best photo. But as you can see, I am wearing a black t-shirt (I changed it to tan before I left the house), and my 30's Stetson hat. If you like the dimensions on the hat, I can measure it for you.

00912.jpg

Also, here is a thread with people wearing hats with hoodies: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?37674-The-quot-Hoodie-N-Hat-Gang-quot&

Last edited:

Monte

A-List Customer
Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm looking into a hat and a nice suit to go with it so we can bring back the
golden era![/QUOTE]
Dressing well is a small part of being well rounded. Remember, the true golden era is being young and having unlimited choices of what direction to go in life.
Start out researching a gray suit and what goes with it: shirt, tie, shoes, hat, overcoat, etc. I like my brother's old suits or thrift store items because they're reasonable and easily altered.
One you've built up your stable of clothing, it's more fun to dress well for life's events.
I may not be the best dressed man in the room, but I usually am until he shows up. Haha, happy hunting.

Master Mason

New in Town
I were a brimmed hat with shorts and a tee shirt, the felts go better with dressier clothes, but specific clothes are not required for wearing a hat.

As for what to get the best alive I can give is find somewhere to try them on, you may not find the hat you want, but you can usually narrow down the style. Also get what you like. I personally don't like stingy brims, lots of folks do and there is nothing wrong with them they just aren't for me.

sammyy

New in Town
Aye, thanks, my friend!

I started wearing hats with polo shirts, believe it or not! Just wear hats with a collared shirt, and you are good to go! No need for the suits and such, unless you wish to go that route. Daily, I usually wear a collared shurt, pull-over (Hoodless) sweater, and an overcoat with my fedoras.

Not my best photo. But as you can see, I am wearing a black t-shirt (I changed it to tan before I left the house), and my 30's Stetson hat. If you like the dimensions on the hat, I can measure it for you.

00912.jpg

Also, here is a thread with people wearing hats with hoodies: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?37674-The-quot-Hoodie-N-Hat-Gang-quot&

The hoodie/fedora combo doesn't look as mismatched as I imagined, still hoodie choice is vital to make it work. I believe in going the classic look with the suit or overcoat whenever possible. For example this overcoat/hat combo, Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition

NWtSIX0.jpg

I'm as yet to buy a hat, currently looking. Sure, wouldn't mind the measurements when you've got a spare minute.

sammyy

New in Town
Dressing well is a small part of being well rounded. Remember, the true golden era is being young and having unlimited choices of what direction to go in life.

Well said indeed. Haha, luckily I don't have a brother to outclass me, but i'll take second best anyday!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I've adopted the lounge motto of "wear the hat, don't let it wear you." If you feel like wearing a suit all the time, more power to you. For myself, I don't feel as if that particular style would really be an authentic expression of me...if that makes sense. And I'll second Justin's comments on styles and face shapes. There is some validity to those general outlines; and some proportions don't work on everybody; but I think think the charts are conservative estimates of what works. I wear anything from a 1 3/4", tapered stingy brim, to a very full crowned 2 3/4" Stetson 100 Open Road.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, Jared. If you let the hat wear you.... it seems, like a costume. By wearing the hat, you can make it work for you.

I can go from the brim width (2 1/8") on the 30's Stetson you see in the photo I posted previously, to a 3" brim on my 20's Stetson No.1. It's all about wearing the hat, and what purpose you want it for.

The dimensions on the 30's Stetson are: Brim (2 1/8"), Crown w/bash (5"). Open crown is about 5 1/2" tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy