Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

christie's foldaway fedora

Film Noir

New in Town
Greetings All,

I've been reading the forum for a while and decided it is time to join. I have a question about the Christie's foldaway. I've always liked the look of this hat and would like the opinion of the fine gentlemen of this forum . I don't know a thing about its quality. It does appear to be made in England from what I've read. Thanks!

analogist

One of the Regulars
Welcome

Nice to have you aboard, Film Noir,

The Christie's Foldaway is a very nice very light hat. I believe the body to weigh 75 grams. It is made in Spain by the firm of Fernandez y Rochet and is of a good quality. Like most modern cloud-weight hats, they don't handle rain very well and because the sweatband is thin grosgrain, one can perspire onto the felt in warm weather.

I do enjoy mine and feel it makes a good staple to a hat collection.

analogist

Film Noir

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks analogist for the review of the foldaway. It sounds like it might be a little too lite for me. I have other hats that probably fit that bill. Regards, Noir

MattJH

One Too Many
One was listed on eBay in just my 7 5/8 size last week, so I watched it like a hawk, fully knowing not to bid higher than $85 or so as I could get it for $99.95 here. I bid accordingly and I was knocked out of the running within the last hour, so I went to get it at the $99.95 price.

Lesson learned - try to add an item to your online shopping cart before assuming it's actually in stock. It was very, very sold out. Heh.

So, anyway, I'm looking for this hat in 7 5/8 or 7 3/4, but not for retail price. Hint hint.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hornet Hats in the UK has 'em for right at or under a c-note, 'jaw, depending on the exchange rate that day. The forty bucks to get it shipped is a bit steep, though. They also have

CHRISTYSADVENTURER.jpg

"the Adventurer"
which looks to be a spot-on Indy/Herbert Johnson-esque number for the same price.
It IS odd you chose to revive this 15 month old thread the day I get a foldaway delivered in the mail...spooky, even.
:eek:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I think I might do that, as most websites say 3-4" but I'm guessing that can only mean creased height as no hat other than a bowler could be that low open crown, at least not proportinally to a 2 3/8" brim in the picture.

While we're talking of Hornets, do you know how far it is from Whitehall? Could I walk there on foot or would I need to take a tube? I'm asking because I'll be doing a work experience in Whitehall in two weeks so a trip to Hornets then would be ideal from a timing point of view.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Locke don't offer a crushable fur felt to my knowledge though. And they cost about three times as much as Christys. And I'm not happy with them as I sent a hat to be reblocked and they just stretched it and tapered it as a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou