Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Fashion Question

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Blackhorse said:
The scene: Annual Cigar Club Christmas Party. Informal.

What to wear?

Got my shirt all ready ironed up and ready to go (note link below).

http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=3597&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,4,110&iProductID=3597

Now...slacks and a hat!

Would you guys go with:

a) Cruise crisp white slacks and a Panama? - or -

b) Navy slacks and a gray Fawcett fedora? - or -

c) Semi-faded jeans (blue) and...what?

Since you're in Portland and it's winter...and wearing that shirt, I'd probably opt (b). There's always the old rule about no white between Labor Day and Memorial Day - white slacks & Panama - a little too summery IMHO.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Informal means Formal @ FL

IMO

Amaze your friends :eek: flabergast your enemies :rage:

Suit & tie or sporcoat & tie with proper headgear :eusa_clap

SC :rolleyes:

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Solid Citizen said:
IMO

Amaze your friends :eek: flabergast your enemies :rage:

Suit & tie or sporcoat & tie with proper headgear :eusa_clap

SC :rolleyes:
I agree with the spirit of what Solid Citizen said. With all due respect, it seems to me that that kind of shirt would be something that is ordinarily lambasted by posters to this forum. You have a right to wear whatever you fancy with pride, but the fact that you posted about it prompted an answer.

Personally, I would reserve a shirt like that for "Chirstmas in July" perhaps? Or maybe a X-mas vacation in Hawaii. Surely, it can't be that warm in Portland around the holiday. A Panama hat is almost an unequovical non-option for someone in colder climates. Traditionally, straw hats are stored for the season in mid-September...December is a bit much, buy any standard. :eek:

Mike in Seattle

Slicksuit said:
I agree with the spirit of what Solid Citizen said. With all due respect, it seems to me that that kind of shirt would be something that is ordinarily lambasted by posters to this forum. You have a right to wear whatever you fancy with pride, but the fact that you posted about it prompted an answer.

Personally, I would reserve a shirt like that for "Chirstmas in July" perhaps? Or maybe a X-mas vacation in Hawaii. Surely, it can't be that warm in Portland around the holiday. A Panama hat is almost an unequovical non-option for someone in colder climates. Traditionally, straw hats are stored for the season in mid-September...December is a bit much, but any standard. :eek:

Yes, I think Solid Citizen's right. I picked from the possibilities listed, but in retrospect, for a holiday function, dressing up's never the wrong choice. Dressing down might be...

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
You couldn't know, of course, but wearing anything "nice" to an indoor cigar club event is asking for a major dry cleaning bill. To explain - during the course of the evening, in a not overly large space, about 25 - 30 guys and some wives or girlfriends will smoke between one and perhaps four cigars each. Whew! Now, even with enhanced ventilation the level of smoke is intense. And, with that many bodies inside the facility, it gets warm, quite warm. I won't do that to any of my decent garments...thus the funky shirt and related garb. I guess the Panama and whites are an "acting out" reference to the warm and sunny Cuban/Dominican Republic/Nicaraguan/Honduran origins of cigars and this garb sees a lot of play in club events no matter the time of year.

Be all that as it may, I appreciate your advice and comments and will take them with the sincerity with which they were given. It's always difficult to apply one's own set of standards onto an unknown circumstance...and I thank you.

OH...and, Merry Christmas, one and all! :cool2:

Snookie

Practically Family
I like the shirt and option (A). :) It sounds like you'll bring some great mirth and cheer to the event. Since you're attending a leisure activity I think it's great to wear a good leisure outfit. (None of this overserious dressing for me, thanks!) I'm sure you'll fit in great, and still be the snazziest person there. IMHO, the most important thing is to make sure everything is clean and well-pressed.

And the vintage world thanks you for not exposing your clothes to that much smoke! :eusa_clap

Miss_Bella_Hell

Snookie said:
I like the shirt and option (A). :) It sounds like you'll bring some great mirth and cheer to the event. Since you're attending a leisure activity I think it's great to wear a good leisure outfit. (None of this overserious dressing for me, thanks!) I'm sure you'll fit in great, and still be the snazziest person there. IMHO, the most important thing is to make sure everything is clean and well-pressed.

And the vintage world thanks you for not exposing your clothes to that much smoke! :eusa_clap

I agree with Snookie. Go for option A, keep your sense of humor intact and your tongue firmly planted in cheek!

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
OK - providence has taken a hand! A brand new hat from Art Fawcett arrived as I was in the shower...my first custom, and of course, a MAJOR winner! Steel grey with a vintage wide band, turned down brim all the way round. Sweet! So, off I go with black slacks, a sort of cranberry-colored twill shirt, of course the steel grey fedora and a charcoal wool jacket...outerwear jacket that is...um, like an Eisenhower/Bomber style, ribbed at the waist and cuffs. The hat makes it!

As a group, we are casual...yet stylin' :cool2:

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
I politely, respectfully, disagree with the last comment. Who said theres a problem with his hat smelling like a cigar? The hats gonna end up smelling like something. Whats the difference if its a can of pomade, or an Ashton VSG. Are we not golden era fans? Smoke away, chum!

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
As in many things, a compromise.

I wore the hat to the event and received several kind compliments (well deserved). Then, after we were inside and seated I stashed it into two (double wrapped) plastic bags I had brought along for just that purpose. Just about then the room got thick...cut it with a knife thick and a number of guys commented that I had done a very wise thing.

I agreed. I had worn the hat and enjoyed it, I had protected it in its time of need, then I wore it home and it's now resting after a light brushing. All is well in Muddville.

PS: I wouldn't mind at all if it smelled like a VSG. A VSG is a wonderfull smelling cigar. But to smell like the smoke off the end of a lit VSG, mixed with the smoke of 20 other cigars would be a bit too much abuse. I guess there are hats I would do that to...but not one of Art's. :cool2:

RedPop4

One Too Many
I do,certainly hope, that you enjoyed yourself at what many of us cigar bulletin board mavens call a "herf."

I liked both option A, and the option D. that you chose. It sounds as if you had a wonderful time.

Pray tell, what did you smoke?

griffer

Practically Family
In a similar vein, what do you guys think of substituting my feather for a holiday spray. Small, couple mistletoe leaves and holly berries, wrapped and tucked in the brim.

I did it last year and loved it. Last year had some pine needles too, it ended up a bit large.

Gotta stop by the florist...

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Go with the mistletoe - great pick.

Let's see - what DID I smoke? I think it was a Torano Casa Toro, a K. Hansotia Anniversary Gold Churchill, an H. Upmann Cabinet No. 2 and a Padilla Habano Churchill...I think in that order. That was over about four hours with lots of food and beverage, etc. No alcohol...I don't drink when I'm out an more. Just doesn't seem worth the risks. :cool2:

There were prizes of all kinds...I won a bunch of cigars (of course), a metal bar sign (Gurka Ancient Warrior) and a great BB King poster from a concert in 1999 that's autographed. Nice!

Had a good time. Men feared me, women wanted me.

Nuff said.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Blackhorse said:
Go with the mistletoe - great pick.

Let's see - what DID I smoke? I think it was a Torano Casa Toro, a K. Hansotia Anniversary Gold Churchill, an H. Upmann Cabinet No. 2 and a Padilla Habano Churchill...I think in that order. That was over about four hours with lots of food and beverage, etc. No alcohol...I don't drink when I'm out an more. Just doesn't seem worth the risks. :cool2:

There were prizes of all kinds...I won a bunch of cigars (of course), a metal bar sign (Gurka Ancient Warrior) and a great BB King poster from a concert in 1999 that's autographed. Nice!

Had a good time. Men feared me, women wanted me.

Nuff said.
What a triumphant evening. I've had the Torano and the Padilla enjoyed them both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou