Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Jackets Recommendations

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I need a new travel jacket

I'm back from a week in Mexico and realized, once again, that I am in desperate need of some sort of travel jacket. That is, something to dress up an outfit just a bit so I less resemble a bum. I'll rarely, if ever, wear a tie with the jacket, but want something for the airport as well as dinners in nicer restaurants.

The simple solution is to bring a navy blazer, also the free solution since one hangs in my closet.

The slightly better solution is a navy blazer made specifically for travel with more and larger interior pockets.

Other ideas that come to mind are this from J. Peterman,
http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~100205~sku~MOW 1636.asp

of perhaps this from Travelsmith.
http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp...UCT&path=1,2,251,259&iProductID=7340&sortBy=0

Of the two jackets above I am leaning toward the Peterman jacket. Anybody else have any ideas?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Something like a Hollywood jacket would probably work, while not being so "safari" if that's a consideration. I have a few vintage Pendleton jackets that are a thin, open weave of wool that work in all but the most humid conditions.

Here's one of mine and some other examples:
100_0079s.jpg

bp1_002.jpg

grant3b.jpeg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Thanks for the ideas. There is something about the look of the flapped pockets on the Peterman jacket that appeals to me, don't know why. I do wish you could see actual photos from multiple angles of Peterman's products. I don't want to go the route of a full blown safari jacket.

I actually have one of the Orvis jackets that I'm getting ready to sell on ebay. The jacket is nice enough, but it just doesn't fit me very well.

What was the name of the Tilley jacket you mentioned? The link just pulled up the main page for me.

Baggers

Practically Family
nobodyspecial said:
Thanks for the ideas. There is something about the look of the flapped pockets on the Peterman jacket that appeals to me, don't know why. I do wish you could see actual photos from multiple angles of Peterman's products. I don't want to go the route of a full blown safari jacket.

Ah, I didn't click that link. I've also got the Vic Falls jacket. Nice garment, but mine came with a tiny amount of spandex blended with the cotton to give the fabric a bit of stretch and as a result hasn't gotten much use in my case. Also, it only has three interior pockets (one breast and two button fastening lowers). Still, it's a very stylish jacket with that sahariana style back treatment.

BTW, looking sharp, J.M.!

Cheers!

PhilS

One of the Regulars
There seems to be a lot of good options

I have nothing against J Peterman but I frankly like to see a picture of the actual jacket before purchase. I did a quick search of travel jacket and there are a lot of good looking things out there. Many of them are also illustrations, but here is one with a picture:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp...UCT&path=1,2,251,259&iProductID=7340&sortBy=0

Some of the other sites use the term "presentation jacket." Good luck.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
The second time around the Travel Smith link worked. Go figure. Keep the ideas rolling, something will jump out at me. Maybe I'll get lucky this week at a thrift store before I get impatient and just order something.

Mike K.

One Too Many
How about a simple khaki-colored cotton twill blazer. I picked up one from Target, but you can also find 'em at L. L. Bean, Territory Ahead, Lands End, and many other places. Khaki is a very versatile color and cries out "adventurous traveler." The cotton twill material keeps you cool. Pair it with blue jeans, light stone or olive colored pants, etc. The cotton twill blazer is somewhat dressy, but still quite casual in appearance without all the pockets that make it look like a utilitarian safari jacket.

By the way, what size do you need?

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
42 regular is my size. Target - would never have thought to look there.

Off topic on my own post, but looking through the Orvis site I came across this hat. http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...=885&group_id=1751&cat_id=5690&subcat_id=6971 Anybody have one or something similar? The ability to roll a hat up and stuff it would be convenient on a plane. My guess is this has been discussed before in the hat section, but I am lousy at using the search feature. In any event, my Dobbs took a beating on this trip.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I took a gander over lunch today at some twill jackets and I think I am going to rule them out. Twill sport coats never quite feel right to me when I'm wearing them. I'm going to keep looking for something in lightweight wool or a blend with a navy blazer as a backup plan.

I read through an old journal after this latest trip and noticed an entry statinging "I need to find some sort of travel jacket for future trips." Better late than never. Note to self, reread journals during the trip planning stages rather than after the fact.:eusa_doh:

The Pendleton style jackets are a possibility. I'd want a solid color or a very subtle plaid.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I've got the new Victoria Falls jacket- the new color is "Tobacco" and its more of a light brown than khaki. It also now has mesh, a la Orvis- in the interior of the jacket. Like the color, not crazy about the poly mesh lining- something I've never liked in the Orvis twill. BTW, the Orvis jackets wrinkle like mad- they never look as crisp as they do in the catalog.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
At the High-End................

........Brioni has offered it's Travel Jacket for around fifty years. Two button sportcoat of khaki cotton drill with around twenty pockets of varying sizes. Just throwin' it out there. [huh]

Cascadian

New in Town
I was going to recommend the LLBean travel jacket too, one of which has been seeing me through airports, and sometimes through the office, for about a year. Was going to, but I couldn't find it on their website, nor the similar one Lands End offered.

There are also travel jackets at Duluth Trading. I've never seen one of those in the cloth so I can't comment on them, but perhaps they're worth considering too.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...ns_blazers_vests/66503.aspx?feature=Product_9

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
Here's a photo of HJ wearing the Victoria Falls Jacket:

safarino1.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the back of HJ's Victoria Falls jacket by any chance, would you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran