Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Jackets Recommendations

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Cascadian said:
I was going to recommend the LLBean travel jacket too, one of which has been seeing me through airports, and sometimes through the office, for about a year. Was going to, but I couldn't find it on their website, nor the similar one Lands End offered.

There are also travel jackets at Duluth Trading. I've never seen one of those in the cloth so I can't comment on them, but perhaps they're worth considering too.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...ns_blazers_vests/66503.aspx?feature=Product_9
I have the LL Bean Traveller, too, and was very disappointed when they discontinued it. It is the single most comfortable and useful sport coat I own. 'Course, that doesn't help you to rub that in, nobodyspecial. However, if you should ever see one on eBay or something in the future, grab it!

I get quite a number of things from Duluth Trading, and have always found their stuff to be of pretty good quality. The bi-swing back on their jacket makes it particularly worth considering, since that is one of the features on my Traveller that I find a lifesaver, even just for driving somewhere and not having the sleeves ride up to my elbows. The Zephyr Presentation Jacket has some nice features, too, but it doesn't mention being wrinkle-proof as one of them.

I know Hemingway loves his Victoria Falls, but I had one and couldn't stand the fit. I found that it bound horribly in the shoulders when I lifted my arms. The collar would never sit against my shirt, either, and always seemed to gap. I take a 42L, and I found the sleeves were too short, too.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
This should give a good idea of the back.

This is a great jacket for travel, very sharp, very comfortable and easy to dress up.

Thanks HJ, that looks nice.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
LL Bean Explorer Jacket

I have been eyeing that LL Bean Explorer jacket for awhile myself. When I order it I will probably get it in Eucalyptus or Peat. I end up wearing khaki trousers alot and I need more contrast than getting the khaki jacket.

Cheers,

---Scott

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
Does anybody have a picture of the LL Bean Traveller to post?
I do, but I'll have to round it up. I just had some pics from this past fall in NYC, but I can't find them. Here's one, but it doesn't help much!

johnzebrachairsm.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Success! Today at my favorite thrift store I scored a serviceable jacket. The brand is St. John's Bay, I think that's originally from JC Penny, and it is new with tags for the grand total of $18.74. The jacket looks very similar to the khaki presentation jackets sold by Duluth Trading, but mine has a 3 button front. Given the price, this will work just fine. I saw several other similar jackets as well at the thrift store, in particular one by Ralph Lauren, however the price was $64.00 which is just nuts for thrift store prices.

Given that today in Minnesota there is an abundance of heavy, wet snow falling, I want nothing more than to put on my new jacket and get back on a plane to anywere south.

Thanks for all the suggestions along the way.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I bought this travel-style jacket today at Younkers. It's a Clairborne.

Two large patch pockets, no breast pocket. The 'pleats' in the pockets are just for show and don't function.
Belted back but no action to it. The belt seems a tad lower than it should be but it's no big problem, I was just happy to see a belted back! No vents. 100% cotton and fully lined. It's a bit heavy and hot for summer wear, would work better in the spring.

I settled for a 40R. The 38R fit me perfectly except the body was just too short. The sleeves for both sizes were long enough. It was on sale (originally $125) and while it was still a bit much, I liked it too well to pass by.

It looks great and vintage with a button shirt, tie, a nice pair of trousers and a panama hat.

TravelJacket001.jpg

TravelJacket003.jpg

TravelJacket002.jpg

TravelJacket004.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
thunderw21 said:
The 38R fit me perfectly except the body was just too short.
So is this one, I'm afraid. [huh] A traditionally fitted jacket should cover your seat, completely ( you should be unable to see the down seam and pockets on the seat of your jeans). That said, you'll see jackets worn this short in most of the current fashion mags. :p

TravelJacket003.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
So is this one, I'm afraid. [huh] A traditionally fitted jacket should cover your seat, completely ( you should be unable to see the down seam and pockets on the seat of your jeans). That said, you'll see jackets worn this short in most of the current fashion mags. :p

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/TravelJacket003.jpg

While I agree with what you're saying, I wear my jeans a bit lower than my high waisted trousers. This jacket is only a couple inches shorter than the 'rule of thumb' when it comes to length (tip of the thumb). I'll try to get pics of it on with high waisted trousers. The jacket is not as short as that picture makes it out to be.
Cheers

Edit:
Here you go, my hind end is completely covered.
TravelJacket005.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
thunderw21 said:
This jacket is only a couple inches shorter than the 'rule of thumb' when it comes to length (tip of the thumb).
'Rule of Ass' is a much better indicator for proper jacket length as arm length can vary significantly between individuals of the same height and physique. It's also helpful to measure from the collar seam down to the floor and divide by half, having the jacket hem hit at the midpoint.

portolan

A-List Customer
I travel on planes every week. I have been looking and looking with no success for the perfect travel/flying jacket. Lots of pockets, maybe a bit of a Western look, not too heavy since most of my travel is between Tampa and San Diego. Comfortable and functional, yet kind of cool.....

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I am a size 41 regular so I get very frustrated at coats/jackets that are Medium (38-40) or Large (42-44). Neither fits me.

I lived in Africa and have a home where the desert meets the mountains in Chihuahua, Mexico. For whatever those two things are worth....Thanks for helping out this newbie.....Best wishes to all, Phil

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Phil,
I'd personally go with this one:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...ns_blazers_vests/93005.aspx?feature=Product_3

Their ad copy:

It’s our coolest jacket ever – ultra lightweight and mesh lined to dissipate perspiration on those steamin’ hot workdays
Now you can Handle the Suits on even the hottest days of summer. Our Zephyr Presentation Jacket's fabric weighs in at just 4.3 oz. – half the weight of our original Twill Presentation Jacket. So it’s incredibly lightweight and cool, and folds down small in your suitcase. In a unique blend of 68% cotton/32% nylon, it’s got a supple, easy-going feel. Yet packs all the functional features you’ve come to expect from a Duluth Presentation Jacket.

You’ll dig the easy-moving bi-swing back. Elbow patches. Underarm grommets. Nylon-lined sleeves. Stain and rain resistant finish. A whopping 13 pockets for everything from cell phone to passport to airline tickets. Plus something we’ve never offered in a Presentation Jacket before: a mesh lining that helps make this jacket the coolest thing since Eskimo Pies.

Quit moppin’ your brow. Slip into our new Zephyr, and summer’s gonna be a breeze. Imported.

The sizing thing may be the only setback....sorry friend :(

They have a great reputation, maybe you can call them and see if they have any idea what others in your size go with??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred