Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Jackets?

Edward

Bartender
Hurrah! Which model? I'm returning the jeep coat, and yesterday bought a Silverman's own brand N3B. Good as an Alpha, but half the price. Very warm. Nearly bought the black one as this is a civilian take on it (complete with orange liner), but decided green is more flexible, black or brown boots...

Now I need to get a blue poloneck and I can pretend I'm Feargal Sharkey on Top of the Pops in 1978! :p

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Hurrah! Which model? I'm returning the jeep coat, and yesterday bought a Silverman's own brand N3B. Good as an Alpha, but half the price. Very warm. Nearly bought the black one as this is a civilian take on it (complete with orange liner), but decided green is more flexible, black or brown boots...

Now I need to get a blue poloneck and I can pretend I'm Feargal Sharkey on Top of the Pops in 2978! :p

Is the N3B a down filled jacket? Have always contemplated one but never pulled the trigger.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Seems I got this wrong, just had a call to say my Irvin is ready, happy days! :)

Great news Nick, couldn't be a better time to take delivery of that. I've got a jacket arriving today, but it's for Spring riding so not sure it will see much use until March or so...

Edward

Bartender
Nah, polyester. Down-filled is a lot more than GBP75.00! Plenty warm, though if I was going for a Canadian Winter, I might look at down. The poly is much thicker than the batting in my Buzz B15C Mod, and it's a warmer coat as a result.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Nah, polyester. Down-filled is a lot more than GBP75.00! Plenty warm, though if I was going for a Canadian Winter, I might look at down. The poly is much thicker than the batting in my Buzz B15C Mod, and it's a warmer coat as a result.

That's a great price for that jacket. I'm don't mind a polyester fill, much better than cheap down that's in too many coats today.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The Johnson-
image.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doesn't look like my Vicenza Premier Half Belt remake will make it in time for Xmas but the fit jacket for a new Sheene probably will. At least I will get to try a Board Racer.....

Edward

Bartender
That's a great price for that jacket. I'm don't mind a polyester fill, much better than cheap down that's in too many coats today.

The pedantic in me would rather have the earlier type wool/cotton batting, as my real interest in flying jackets ends about 1959, but really, when it's hidden inside the lining, and you can't see it..... Interestingly, while the lining itself is later MA1-style orange, it's a matte cotton rather than a satin. Not unlike an old 1970s sleeping bag I have. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it, especially for the price. Their blurb has it as thicker and a better outer than, impliedly, the Alpha. I'd say it's at least an equal. Funnily enough, I now look at it as a 50s design, though likely when I wear it out most folks over here will associate it with the late 70s/early 80s, when this sort of civilian version was what about half the kids at school wore (I didn't, and didn't care for them at the time either, though I remember being five and standing there while future Northern Ireland soccer international Keith Gillespie was given a chewing for wearing the hood fully zipped up while crossing the road.... :lol: ).

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...N3BSPARKA/0/SKU/4-175-20157-3869/Default.aspx

A couple of quick and dirty shots:

20141217_162621_LLS_zpshauazcdg.jpg

20141217_162627_zpshwctz0bl.jpg

The faux-fur round the hood is pretty damn good - quite convincing. We'll see how it ages. Thus far, though, I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a budget jacket in the n3B mould, even if it's not for those seeking an exact reproduction.

Edited to add: if anyone is considering one of these, be careful re the sizing. The numbers seem to be the size of the actual jacket rather than the person in it: I'm currently a 44-46, but I'm wearing a 4XL in this.

The Pre-war version in russet.

That's a lovely, shiny new Johnson you have there. They do some really nice stuff. I bought my D pocket used so I've not dealt directly with the company, but if it's indicative of the quality of their product, I'd definitely recommend them.

Doesn't look like my Vicenza Premier Half Belt remake will make it in time for Xmas but the fit jacket for a new Sheene probably will. At least I will get to try a Board Racer.....

Something to look forward to to soften the blow of going back to work after the holidays, then? ;) The Board Racer is a sharp design if you're looking a cafe racer with the traditional mandarin collar.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Something to look forward to to soften the blow of going back to work after the holidays, then? ;) The Board Racer is a sharp design if you're looking a cafe racer with the traditional mandarin collar.

I'm actually going for a Sheene style jacket with the August collar, not the mandarin. Carrie and Wade think the Board Racer will be a better base fit than the standard Aero Cafe Racer pattern for me though.....will be interesting.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I'm actually going for a Sheene style jacket with the August collar, not the mandarin. Carrie and Wade think the Board Racer will be a better base fit than the standard Aero Cafe Racer pattern for me though.....will be interesting.

They do know what they are doing... I really like both patterns, sounds like it's going to be very sharp with the August collar.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Really great jacket Nick, congrats. I agree, there couldn't be a better name for a Lady crafting Irvins. Looks like you have the best Xmas jacket of the bunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav