Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christys hats and rain

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
The Christy's Marlborough that I owned briefly came from the factory with a teardrop crease. From the feel of it, I would not have wanted to try and coax it into any other shape. I think it would have required a professional-grade steaming and blocking to change the rather permanent-seeming set of the original teardrop.

But I don't know much about hats, maybe it would have changed more readily than I thought...

Tone

A-List Customer
Brent Hutto said:
But I don't know much about hats, maybe it would have changed more readily than I thought...

You bought the Marlborough, a pre-creased teardrop hat, and then didn't want it because it came pre-creased with a teardrop? Or are you just saying the set teardrop on that hat feels pretty set in general?

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Tone said:
You bought the Marlborough, a pre-creased teardrop hat, and then didn't want it because it came pre-creased with a teardrop? Or are you just saying the set teardrop on that hat feels pretty set in general?

No, no. It was a brilliant crease and I wouldn't have wanted it any different. I'm just saying that from handling the hat and working on the brim a bit my impression was that the factory teardrop was well and truly set.

So my advice would be that buying a Christy's with the "wrong" bash and planning to change it yourself might be problematic...

Tone

A-List Customer
OH! Okay. Gotcha, Brent. I thought that's what you were saying. Just thought it'd be weird for someone to buy a pre-creased hat and then try to change it afterward when there are open-crowned hats from the start.

Yeah, it seems that any of those stamped pre-crease factory crowns (regardless of brand) are set in pretty solid. The felt's had a lot of time to settle in and get used to it, too.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Tone said:
With regard to your Christys, what other kind of crease would you be speaking of trying to get it to accept? It sounds like you have it sitting in a crease that is utilized by a majority of people on this forum when it comes to fedoras. How's it look as a fedora with a generalized top dent in it?

Well, it seems to stovepipe down a lot, and try as I might I couldn't get it to take a centre dent (fancied giving it a try). I need to give it a thorough steaming and reshape the crown a bit, but this is what it looks like right now:

Adventurer4.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
That actually looks sharp! Yeah, crown needs to come up just a bit. That brim's got style, though. Like the angles. Now, what did you have as the initial top dent and how many times did you re-crease it?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
looks sharp

i happen to think there is a lot of potential with these christy's. a lot of options for customization, if they could only get their workmanship up a tad, they would have a very very very competitive hat i think.

i love that burma color...looks more grey than what some retailers show- how accurate is that photo?

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
I have Christy's foldable fedora. When I went out for a walk last night I wore it because there was a possibility of thunderstorms. And this hat was expendable. I got caught in a heavy downpour. The hat was not just wet, it was waterlogged. Now that it is dry, the hat seems to have shrunk a size.

m0nk

One Too Many
Here's my "tapered" Christy's Adventurer; it took months of my country's tropical summer heat, a few light rain showers, getting accidentally sat on and falling on the ground.

IMG_4389.jpg

Here it is compared to my Fed IV Deluxe to show the taper...
Christy_Akubra_Comparison.gif

Comparing it to the red lines, you'll see the amount of taper and shortening of the crown height.

Next up, it's going to the beach with me in 2 days time... Wonder what will happen to it.

I know this thread has been around a while, but if you happen to check back... I was wondering if the hat is the standard Sable and if that's the standard color band that comes with the hat or if it's actually a black one? Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot