Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christy's of London

carcassi

New in Town
Tone said:
How 'bout a picture of your wearing the Knightsbridge while you have it? Which way you've got it styled, etc.

In Rick Blaine's initial post regarding the Christys from over a year ago there are examples of the hat and it's various heights to be chosen.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32404&highlight=Christys
I'm trying to post photos but can't seem to do it. I put them on flickr and added the URL's but it didn't work. I can post pics on the Fed Chronicles.
Can someone help a computer challenged musician with this problem?
My knightsbridge is the color burma. Very nice felt. I had them put a black ribbon on instead of the usual color. I only wish that the crown was a little higher.

carcassi

New in Town
cybergentleman said:
I emailed hornets about this problem..they didn't really have much to say other than an apology. perhaps if enough ppl make them aware of the dissatisfaction with the site they will upload more photos- the photos are from christy's main site...they need to take some control it seems.

furthermore, the swatches posted earlier in this thread lead to even greater confusion.

this site made me even more confused..

http://www.thehatcompany.com/department/trilbies/christys/

can anyone testify to the accuracy of those photos/colors?

That website is really poorly laid out. The grey color shown is terrible. I wouldn't trust what's shown in the photos.
I did however order a Borsalino beaver from them (my second hat purchase). It's a great lid. The nicest felt I've ever seen on a factory hat. Very light and comfortable. It was half price....about $300.00.

frussell

One Too Many
Size Small?

I find it odd that both I and Carl (carldelo) have recently posted our Christy's hats in the classifieds for the same reason: smaller than advertised. I've not seen any other company list a size 63 as 7 3/4, but that's definitely what mine was. I mentioned this and the color swatch discrepancy to Sarah at Hornets, and got a very polite "I will mention this" reply, just like everyone else. I thought the felt on my Adventurer was great, liked the style, looked right on me, and I even started to like the color, even though it wasn't really what I thought I had ordered. If they made a 64 without a custom order wait period, I'd do business with them again. As it stands, I'll save my money for Art Fawcett or get more Akubras. Frank

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I just got my order today from Hornet and, quite frankly, I am disappointed on number of levels, not least of which is the size issue. First, as a 61, it is too small. Next, I asked for a number of modifications - a lower crown, a bound and trimmed brim and no reed in the sweat, if possible - and NONE of them were done, even though I was told there would be no problem. It seems like a stock hat that took three weeks to ship.

And while I agree the felt is quite nice, I am truly disappointed overall. I am going to drop Sarah an email myself and that at least something can be done. Too bad. I had plans for a couple more.

Lokar

A-List Customer
When I visited the Hornets stores in Kensington (slightly different branch of the same company, less hat focused), one of the tailors working there told me I should go up a size as he felt the Christy's hats fit tight - I did, and strangely, one of the hats fits almost perfectly, one feels a little loose, and one needed some good padding (and the sweatband that was fitted on the largest hat was the wrong size for that size hat).

Half of my order also didn't turn up, and e-mailed after a while and it turns out that after Hornets passed the order on to Christy's, Christy's just ignored the second half of the order. It all turned up eventually after I complained, though.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
grrrr

This all bothers me a great deal.

1) christys has jerked me around for weeks/months with delays
2) i am really not sure what to do about the size issue. I ordered thru ascot bc i did not trust hornets to do the modifications; seemed shady...email us after you place the order? whats up with that.

anyway, christys had their workers on holiday etc that delayed my hat, then they sent ascot the wrong band color, even though we requested black, they sent brown.

i requested that the hat be stretched a tad from the 59 or so to 59.5...figured that would give me some room for error in case.

amazing how murphy's law exists!

i am awaiting the arrival of mine.

on the positive side, the felt choices/modifications etc that hornets/christys offers are nice- they just need to get their act together.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
pics please

For all of you who ordered christy's and posted here,

please post some photos if you can. I had heard the felt is thicker these days than before, and based on some photos i have looked at, the crown taper seems to vary over the years.

thanks

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth, here's my Foldaway fedora in "light sable."

IMG_4115.jpg

but a change in the position of the camera makes it look like a different color:

IMG_4116.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
I'll post mine soon, but can I request a mention of the hat model along with the photos? Different hats have different brims and crowns, which will help us all with future purchases.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
yowza

just like your color swatches..this is a dark hat.

if that's light sable, i cant imagine how dark the regular sable is, let alone peatwood. interesting...

despite the negativity here, i still think that christy's customization options sets them apart from almost every modern hat maker today.

lokar, i'm referring to the adventurer model in my request.

the foldaway and marlborough seem to compete for the second most popular models here.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
cybergentleman said:
...despite the negativity here, i still think that christy's customization options sets them apart from almost every modern hat maker today...
IF they follow through on them. Which they did not with me.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
well...

Mr. Lucky said:
IF they follow through on them. Which they did not with me.

i hear you loud and clear. based on what we are discovering, it seems that it may be better for hatters to actually buy stock hats/bodies from christy's in a variety of colors, sizes etc, then just do the modifications themselves, would add to the cost, but....with stetsons running retail at about 135-150 usd, i think the christy's would be competitive even if the price went up a bit for this personalization.

just a thought that crossed my mind

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
cybergentleman said:
i hear you loud and clear. based on what we are discovering, it seems that it may be better for hatters to actually buy stock hats/bodies from christy's in a variety of colors, sizes etc, then just do the modifications themselves, would add to the cost, but....with stetsons running retail at about 135-150 usd, i think the christy's would be competitive even if the price went up a bit for this personalization.

just a thought that crossed my mind
Good thought!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
nice

sharp looking lid.

wish the crown was a bit higher for me.

as a conehead from the planet remulak, i find that these modern day lower crown heights leave the sides of my head feeling the breeze.
..foldaway is on my wish list though, just need to try one on before i buy

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
confusion!!

why does the regular sable appear lighter than light sable?

this is not isolated to the photos here, but to a number of photos in the lounge and the net as a whole....peculiar no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot