Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Citizen Kane

Mycroft

One Too Many
This weekend amoung watching other things I finished Citizen Kane. This is regarted as the best American Film of all time. I think it is up there. I love Orson Wells as Charles Foster Kane too. He is a genius. The casting, sets, and especially the cinmatography were great. What are your impressions of the Greatest Film of all time?

Feraud

Bartender
I hate throwing around terms like 'Genius' or 'Greatest Film..'. There are so many great films, directors, actors, etc. that I find myself applying the term to a lot of 'em! ;)

I do like this film. Well done for a 26(?) year old filmmaker. Joe Cotten is always good, imho. The cinematography, story & music are all top notch.

I did not like Welles performance in this film as much as in others. His characters in Touch of Evil or Third Man were more interesting to me.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I hate throwing around terms like 'Genius' or 'Greatest Film..'. There are so many great films, directors, actors, etc. that I find myself applying the term to a lot of 'em! ;)

I do like this film. Well done for a 26(?) year old filmmaker. Joe Cotten is always good, imho. The cinematography, story & music are all top notch.

I did not like Welles performance in this film as much as in others. His characters in Touch of Evil or Third Man were more interesting to me.

True, what I meant buy genius was the way he aged himself with different voices and all. Also, the editing of certin sequences is great, like the Breakfast seens with his first wife over the course of time.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Mycroft said:
True, what I meant buy genius was the way he aged himself with different voices and all. Also, the editing of certin sequences is great, like the Breakfast seens with his first wife over the course of time.

Welles always had a nack for aging himself. It almost was a necessity. He was a 'man-child' from the earliest age.

Kane is a brilliant film. It's just radiates the brash, audacious, driven power of a 26 year old genius.

It is interesting how different the pacing is of his second film, The Magnificent Ambersons, is. More like an adult.

The destruction of the original cut of the Ambersons, at the hands of RKO management, was one of the biggest crimes in film history.

jazzbass

Familiar Face
Don't forget the brilliant music score by Bernard Herrmann--probably the greatest as well as most influential film composer of all time

bob

Naama

Practically Family
It drives me crazy when I think about the fact that Orson Welles was only 26 when he made this film! But I don't know, sure, the film was good, but I'm not sure if it's the best film of all times..........

Naama

Feraud

Bartender
Naama said:
It drives me crazy when I think about the fact that Orson Welles was only 26 when he made this film! But I don't know, sure, the film was good, but I'm not sure if it's the best film of all times..........

Naama
Forget 'greatest film', that is a subjective term. The fact that he made that film at a young age really impresses me! :)

It's a great movie. That's all that matters. It doesn't make my top ten, but that doesn't make it any less of a good movie. Everyone has their own top ten/twenty/thirty/forty. We could argue all day. Cotten was a wonderful actor, and shows it again in this movie.

I've never seen 'Amberson's. Must see it sometime ...

bk

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Citizen Kane is one of those films where everything adds up. All the elements are excellent on their own and they add up to a splendid film overall. The acting and screenplay are both exceptional. Someone has already mentioned Herrmann's score, and Greg Toland's cinematography has to be mentioned as well as it's such a key part of the Citizen Kane experience. Old, young, greatest or top ten, it doesn't matter: Citzen Kane is a rare and wonderful film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy