Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic firearms of the classic era.

Jovan said:
I don't know about you, but I'd be scared if someone pointed a .22 at me... or any gun that shoots.
Apologies for the doubletap, but... at what range? 21' or less, it's Tueller Time and you got all kinds of tricks you can play.

1. On an auto, you can shove the slide back out of battery, where it won't fire. (This is a desperation measure, only if you believe it's your last option.)

2. If it's in the back of your head, Boaz Abraham suggested an interesting little desperation-tactic in one of the first issues of Special Operations Report, using sudden, violent head movement and whole-body spin to bat the muzzle aside, then going to work on the gun-limb to separate weapon from arm. (You're gonna take hearing-damage, guaranteed, but I'd rather be deaf in one ear than dead, myself...)

3. Borrow a copy of Mas Ayoob's Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery (5th Edition), and look up the "LFI Circling Parry" (note, only works if you brought your own iron to the party).

4. If you know your angles and work your strikes just right, you can knock the gun out of the other guy's hand (detailed in the above book also), but you're gonna need a lot of practice with a friend and dummy-irons. (I suggest airsoft with safety gear, so that way you have the angle of "tactile feedback" to encourage you to get it right.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
Yeah, it goes right alongside SWAT Magazine and JOurnal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security International in the office magazine-rack...:D

None of which are "classic". ;)

Enough with the disarms and tactics talk, back to pictures of pretty guns older than me. :D

"Lawn?" Is that what you call that mess of cold wet white crap all over everything?

Seriously, you should be thanking me--the "old fart" chairshot was gonna come sooner or later, I just got it out of the way as a public service before any of the real snarky youngsters showed up! Ever heard of "jumping on the grenade"?:D

Jovan

Suspended
Not specific to any era, really.

2097.jpg

Wish list

When it comes to old classics I would like:

a Mauser Broomhandle or an Astra look a like

a large Colt automatic the style earlier than the 1911 wear the grip is closer to the 90 degree angle

A S&W 1917 revolver in 45ACP and a COLT 1917? revolver in 45ACP

A Colt detective snubbie

A S&W Military Police 38 spec

An early 357 with Bill Jordan grips

I love the old blue and wood look a lot.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Don't know why but these make me go wow!

You have a thing for right angles?

Ergonomics are of the dev-eel?

:D

Just kidding, They do have a certain something.

It'd be nice to try shooting one, see how it compares.

Ranger01

New in Town
Ive got a few guns:
a 1918 .35 Remington Model 14 with factory scope (my great grandfathers hunting rifle), heavy as a ton of lead and kicks like a mule... bruised up after a day at the range with this boy.
a 60s Ruger 44 Carbine Autoloader
a 60s Remington 20Ga.
and a 1942 Colt 1911A1 Army Issue (love this gun)

CombatCam

New in Town
I have two Enfield rifles, a No1 Mk3 from 1917 and a No4 Mk1 from 1943.

As far as handguns, I find fewer revolvers more appealing than the S&W Military and Police (and its variants, my favourite of which is the Victory model) and the Webley Mk VI. The Smith is very graceful, and I've always preferred Smith to Colt (though the Police Positive isn't too shabby either). I'm also a big fan of the Browning Hi-Power.

I also think it's hard to deny the allure of a Luger...even if I'd never carry one, they're gorgeous.

Action!

CombatCam said:
I find fewer revolvers more appealing than the S&W Military and Police (and its variants, my favourite of which is the Victory model) and the Webley Mk VI. The Smith is very graceful, and I've always preferred Smith to Colt (though the Police Positive isn't too shabby either).
QUOTE]
The S&W M&P revolvers really shine when a good gunsmith does a good action job. I have a friend that has several where the action is as smooth as glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto