Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic firearms of the classic era.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
My one and only true classic, as opposed to a modern version of a classic, is my Marlin 39, a .22 rifle my grandfather gave me. 4 digit serial number and octagonal barrel.

Now that I think about it, my grandmother did give me a Young American .32 revolver when I went to law school, saying I needed a handgun. I've never fired it, and frankly am afraid to do so. POOR condition would be an understatement.

warbird

One Too Many
MagistrateChris said:
My one and only true classic, as opposed to a modern version of a classic, is my Marlin 39, a .22 rifle my grandfather gave me. 4 digit serial number and octagonal barrel.

Now that I think about it, my grandmother did give me a Young American .32 revolver when I went to law school, saying I needed a handgun. I've never fired it, and frankly am afraid to do so. POOR condition would be an understatement.

Chris I have that same rifle. It's a great little piece. I also have an old Martini .22, that just shoots wonderfully.

warbird

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Here is where we can agree to disagree. I do not think all Classic Era ideals needs to be refined and elegant. The good old days weren't all about ballet and champagne. :rolleyes:

What have you got against Russian peasants?

Feraud, do you shoot much? I will be up in your area this summer to attend the Campfire Club gathering.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
warbird said:
Chris I have that same rifle. It's a great little piece. I also have an old Martini .22, that just shoots wonderfully.

Accurate as a laser. I'll brag a bit. ONce upon a time, while shooting w/ grandfather, father, and a couple of grandfather's friends, they were arguing about my abilities. My father put a lit cigarette on a wire sticking out of a post about 25 yards from me, and bet $20 that I'd hit it with the Marlin on the first shot. Bets were made. Aim. Squeeze, and crack. I hit the ember and left the filter on the wire. Dad made $100, and gave me half.

I love that rifle...

Edward

Bartender
Dixon Cannon said:
Classic Design -
Gorings_Luger.jpg

Classic Shape.

Golden Era! - Superb entry in this category!

-dixon cannon

Looks like it was amde for Liberace! lol I like it. I've never felt the inclination to own a real gun - of course the laws on possession being very different over here it's not a realistic consideration in any case. I have at one time and another toyed with the idea of picking up a BB gun as a photo prop a la the noir detective vibe... a Luger would be one option, though I think a 1911 or a snub nosed revolver would be more in keeping with the look. For an adventurer type, it'd be that revolver (Webley?) Dr Jones carried. Not so sure being seen to carry anything that looks much like a real gun would be a wise idea over here these days, though! If I ever do it'd be strictly a studio prop, I think! :)

freebird

Practically Family
The .25 colt, nice hideout gun, althougth not very powerful. I took my concealed weapons training with one, the instructor ,who was an Oklahoma Highway Patrol officer, told me I shot my 5 fast roounds in 2.5 seconds.
The pic appears to be a little larger than actual size..

25coltrjpg.jpg

Erik

One of the Regulars
"Well, I don't own a Bar-B-Que Gun, but that German Luger would be a starter."

I'd say a pretty fine argument could be made for that Luger being "an ender."

Great looking Luger, even if the gold plating isn't necessarily to my taste.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
Looks like it was amde for Liberace! lol I like it. I've never felt the inclination to own a real gun - of course the laws on possession being very different over here it's not a realistic consideration in any case. I have at one time and another toyed with the idea of picking up a BB gun as a photo prop a la the noir detective vibe... a Luger would be one option, though I think a 1911 or a snub nosed revolver would be more in keeping with the look. For an adventurer type, it'd be that revolver (Webley?) Dr Jones carried. Not so sure being seen to carry anything that looks much like a real gun would be a wise idea over here these days, though! If I ever do it'd be strictly a studio prop, I think! :)

You strike me as more of a .32 Colt than a revolver kinda guy. Those were big in noir movies and are slim and classy.

Colt%201903.jpg

Edward

Bartender
carebear said:
You strike me as more of a .32 Colt than a revolver kinda guy. Those were big in noir movies and are slim and classy.

Colt%201903.jpg

That is a good looking gun. Maybe I could find a cigarette-lighter version... lol

Teacher

Familiar Face
I don't have any pistols, but if I did, I'd want three:

1. Luger

2. Colt 1911 .45

3. Colt 1911 .32

My father has two or three .45 1911s, and they are wonderful, solid firearms. Just a delight to shoot, and even to hold. His friend has a very rare and very valuable .32 version (the "General's sidearm," as they weree called) in blued steel. I've never fired it, but it fits my hand so wonderfully I wanted to push the old guy down and make a mad dash out the door with it. Lucky for both of us, reason won that little microsecond war that was raging in my head!

Teacher

Familiar Face
cooncatbob said:
Here's my Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 Gov.
336685307_8d0a3b1d12.jpg

Nice! My dad has a .50 Sharps that kicks like a mule on 'roids. He used to build blackpowder guns (flint locks and percussion locks), most of them .50. He made one for me, and no matter how much I pack that thing, it doesn't deliver the "what-for" back at me like his Sharps. It's a cool gun, but I can't say I miss firing that thing (though I kinda do miss hitting things with it!).

Teach, the General Officer's Pistol in .32 was actually the Model 1903; Model 1908 .380s were also issued. IIRC, the first M15 GOP's were issued around war's end too... M15 being a chopped-down 1911, still in .45ACP.

The 1911 is operated by recoil, and a .32ACP wouldn't generate enought recoil to cycle the slide--I'm not even sure they can make springs light enough for the slide to go all the way through eject and recock, and yet heavy enough to bring it positively back into battery...

A friend has a 1903, I'll see if I can make arrangements to get a shot of it with my 1911, or better yet see if I can find an M15 and see if I can get a shot of all three for comparison.

Welcome to the "Gun Nuts' Rubber Room" of the Lounge, BTW...lol

D

DeaconKC

On the 1903 or 1911 Wollf makes new spring kits for them. Offer to put the kit in and then you guys go shoot that little demon!

Yeah, the 1903 feels like it was carved from a bar of soap in the hand, and my 1911 and my hand feel like they were specifically designed for each other--I'm inclined to believe that some of the work Browning did on it got carried over on the concept-level to the various 1911-ancestor models. I'm convinced that old guy invented the concept of "ergonomics"... even if he didn't call it that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points