Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic firearms of the classic era.

WH1

Practically Family
added to my classic firearms last week. I went to the CMP in Anniston, Alabama and picked up an H&R manufactured M1 Garand (service grade). I have been wanting one for a long time, when I got back to the states I decided to take the plunge and contacted the CMP to see what they had in stock. Currently they have a very good selection of M1 rifles and carbines. I am looking forward to shooting this one next weekend. Next one I would like to get is an '03 Springfield but a good one is getting fairly expensive so that will have to wait for another time.

Erik

One of the Regulars
DeaconKC,
That cartoon is way... to... funny. And for those of you wondering why, imagine one side of the line representing street wear and baseball hats and the other vintage suits and federas.

Best,
Erik

D

DeaconKC

Thanks Erik, I liked it when I saw it. WH1 and Combatcam, drop in and say hi over at www.surplusrifle.com we also have GREAT illustrated takedown-reassembly guides for the guns you listed.

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
Lazarus thread...

My Francotte 20ga from 1927...pre-restoration.

P1010003.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Can't stand the modern "tacti-cool" rifle, as @MagistrateChris put it in the original post. They're built more for intimidation than actual function or form. I've seen squirrel rifles rebuilt to look like they're supposed to be some kind of Call of Duty battlefield bazooka, just because somebody told them that it would look "cooler." Was always a much bigger fan of the sleek, clean lines of a vintage firearm. My favorite is, like many others, the m1911, simply for its comfort and accuracy in hand. It's a design that hasn't changed in over 100 years, a real example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
pBimYBH.png

A couple other favorites of mine:
-The classic double barrel elephant gun: goes back a bit further than "the era", but it's a classic design that I've loved ever since my Dad had a black powder one mounted on his office wall when I was a kid. Here it is from the last time I got a good pic of it:
hbSxDn1.png

-The AK-47: the classic Communist's rifle. I actually prefer the weapon's wood aesthetics over the M-16's depressing "all grey" look. The real trick to it is more than looks, these things took a beating and still kept ticking. I've never gotten a chance to fire one, but a friend has a deactivated one and it's a real beauty. The polished wood grip and butt is definitely one of the most tantalizing parts of this weapon.
eyiArEg.jpg

-The M1 Garand: a childhood friend had one that had belonged to his Grandfather that he kept in his closet, but I occasionally bugged him to let him show it to me. Again, the polished wood design made this rifle a real beauty. I have no idea if it was still live, but man did I have green eyes over that one.
YWXZq7r.jpg

-S&W m1917 revolver: revolvers are as classic a pistol as any. Almost never jam, simple construction, easy to clean, and come in soooo many options and sizes. But I first fell in love with the m1917 after seeing it in action in the hands of Harrison Ford in the 1981 classic "Raiders of the Lost Ark". I suspect, from these comments, I'm not the only one who was introduced to it via that movie. Been saving my pennies for one for a good long while now.
FgKGxxD.jpg

Honorable mention...
-The Winchester repeater: I was never much big on the Western style rifles, but I respect the repeater for what it was: a highly efficient killing machine that did exactly what it was invented to do.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
984D7DF0-FDDA-486D-BF07-3E2CD9AAB828.jpeg

S&W 38. Belonged to my greatgrandfather. According to my grandpa during WW1 Chicago police department deputized some citizens to make up for staffing lost to the war. Apparently it was fired once “on the job” when someone robbed the Western ave streetcar. I’m assuming since it was not part of the story that no one was hit.

green papaya

One Too Many
the good old M1911A1 is my favorite Classic American Icon pistol , I have modern versions for range use, they havent changed in over 100 years, you can take a part from a pistol built in 1917 and it will fit my modern day M1911 , but the Metallurgy and quality of the steels are better today, thats one improvement , the new ones can take more use because of the modern steels used today, the originals back in 1911 were not heat treated.

Im also a fan of the German Luger pistol, and the made in Belgium Browning Hi Power 9mm pistol, the BHP is the best semi auto handgun of WW2 in my opinion

the classic COLT Model 1903 is a classic often seen in old gangster movies & film Noir movies, I would like to own one of those.

Colt_Model_1903.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I was flipping through the pistols and revolvers encyclopedia I picked up from the bargain books section of a Barnes & Noble several years back because of this thread, and was amazed just how popular the 1911 is universally. It seems everybody and their grandmother makes one, from Japan to the Czech Republic. It's the single most copied "design" I've seen in any pistol.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The AK-47: the classic Communist's rifle. I actually prefer the weapon's wood aesthetics over the M-16's depressing "all grey" look. The real trick to it is more than looks, these things took a beating and still kept ticking. I've never gotten a chance to fire one, but a friend has a deactivated one and it's a real beauty. The polished wood grip and butt is definitely one of the most tantalizing parts of this weapon.

Lucifer himself carries the AK-47.

That ba***rd Kalishnikov designed a formidable weapon that takes immortal punishment and inflicts mortal death.
I prefer it to the M16, I like its 7.62mm round and heft.
The sweet sixteen is too light and I just hated that sonuvabitch. But I digress.

The AK47 and SKS versions would fire if a bucket of dirt were poured over its breech-shake and rock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21