Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic firearms of the classic era.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Yesterday, I was talking with a lawyer friend, and we got to discussing out mutual admiration for some of the classic .380 handguns. Walther PP/PPK, Mauser, Colt. This led to a discussion of firearm design. Back in the classic days, firearms were made for both function and appearance. Engraving was much more popular. Now, guns are all black, blocky with rails for mounting lights and lasers and such. They all look like something built for a sci-fi flick.

So, with that said, what classic firearms catch your fancy? For me, it's been the true classics. The PPK. Smith 1917. Colt 1911.

CareBear, I know you'l share this sentiment. Who else finds themselves favoring the appearance of the guns of yesteryear as opposed to the black plastic tacticool designs of today?

Mark G

A-List Customer
I've always been a Walther fan (James Bond of course) and I've had my share of modern but I still keep coming back to the 1911. The linear single action trigger and the single stack magazine make it the most comfortable and accurate for me to shoot. I also like the .45 ACP as a caliber. I've had several Colt's but my current favorite is a Les Baer Custom Carry. It's has some modern touches but the mechanics retain everything that John Browning designed.

I'm also a big fan of the Colt SAA in .45 Colt. Great fun to shoot.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I've always been a fan of the creations of the Prophet John Moses Browning (peace be upon him), specifically the 1911 and the BAR.

Though they were made to work and work well, those old firearms had a kind of style to them that we don't see today. Maybe it's partly due to the history behind such firearms, but they are beautiful works of art in my eyes.

JerseyJones

Vendor
I am an M1911A1 man all the way. You will also find that many serious operators go back to one of these, even if they soup it up, because it just plain works better. And .45 ACP in close is the best stopper out there.

JJ

DerMann

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
I've always been a fan of the creations of the Prophet John Moses Browning (peace be upon him), specifically the 1911 and the BAR.

Though they were made to work and work well, those old firearms had a kind of style to them that we don't see today. Maybe it's partly due to the history behind such firearms, but they are beautiful works of art in my eyes.

John Moses Browning, more like Jesus Christ II.

I own the finest service revolver of them all, the Webley Mk.VI.

A bit before the Golden Era, but still one of the finest pieces of technology that British gunsmithing gave us. Mine was manufactured in 1916 and is still in .455 Mk.II (many were converted to .45ACP for ease of use in the US).

Apart from the Mk.VI, I adore the Browning Hi-Power GP35. I'd love to purchase one, but I would only invest in an Inglis, and those are well over $500 or $600 a piece.

I also own a Czechoslovakian Vz.24 (a copy of the Mauser K98). Lovely rifle, many argue it's the best copy of the K98 ever produced (quality wise).

Feraud

Bartender
Some classic eye candy.
Fusil-Mosin-Nagant.jpg

K98.jpg

lightningengr1.jpg

engraved-1849-pocket-revolver-21.jpg

1836-Patterson.36.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
Feraud said:
What's up? You don't dig the Russian?
I don't dig the fact that the Soviets made 924,412,485,685,869,582,287,872,375 of them, stuck them in cosmoline, and are now being sold in "battle packs" of five for $200.

They're just not collectible.

Also, as rifles, they're very coarsely made. They don't have any of the refinements of the Mauser 98 or Lee Enfield.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
DerMann said:
John Moses Browning, more like Jesus Christ II.

I own the finest service revolver of them all, the Webley Mk.VI.

A bit before the Golden Era, but still one of the finest pieces of technology that British gunsmithing gave us. Mine was manufactured in 1916 and is still in .455 Mk.II (many were converted to .45ACP for ease of use in the US).

My favourite has always been the Mark V: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/displayRepro.cfm?reproID=E8724&picture=1#content

(I do own one, a 4" barrel version, deactivated. I bought it from a dealer as a Mark IV and was very pleased when it arrived to find it was a rarer MkV.)

DerMann

Practically Family
I've always liked the blunt look of the Webleys with shorter barrels. I don't know how much the 6" barrel improves the accuracy of the Mk.VI, but I can't imagine it's that much, as it's still only effective to about 25 yards.

My favourite Webley revolver is definitely the Fosbery. British ingenuity at work. I'd like to shoot one some time in my life (I've been told that they're quite an event to operate, as the entire upper frame recoils backward and recocks the pistol).

Let's see:

For pistols, I favor the M1911A1 for primary, and the M1908 .380 as a pocket-gun (if I can ever find a poor-finished but mechanically-sound one to refinish into a General Officer's Pistol clone). Revolvers, can't go wrong with a nickel-plated SAA and a Registered Magnum. Not one I'm partial to, but plan on acquiring as a "caution" to myself: CZ52.

Rifles: M14, Garand, AK47.

Shotguns: Winchester 1897, Ithaca 37--both in trenchgun configuration. Also, the classic SxS coachgun...

Full-auto: Thompson (I prefer the 1928AC specifically), BAR, Ma Deuce. Another "cautionary" iron, if I can find a papered or non-NFA one: CZ61 Skorpion. (Ugly as sin, but it's close to Golden Era...)

D

DeaconKC

Firearms with Panache

#1 Thompson
#2 Luger
#3 C96 Mauser Broomhandle
#4 Colt 1873 Single Action Army
#5 1911
Honorable mentions to TripleLock, Webleys, Mauser HSc.

D

DeaconKC

Oh if you are ever in need of info on surplus weapons,please drop in over at Surplusrifle.com and say hi,I'm a Mod over there.

Jovan

Suspended
DerMann said:
I don't dig the fact that the Soviets made 924,412,485,685,869,582,287,872,375 of them, stuck them in cosmoline, and are now being sold in "battle packs" of five for $200.

They're just not collectible.

Also, as rifles, they're very coarsely made. They don't have any of the refinements of the Mauser 98 or Lee Enfield.
I agree. I think the SVT-40 was somewhat better -- the Germans copied its gas system for the Gewehr 43 after their own design had poor performance.

I've fired a K98k rifle and found it had a rather smooth bolt action. A well made weapon. Apparently the Lee-Enfield is considered to have the smoothest bolt action of all the WWII rifles. I've also fired the Colt 1911 and loved it.

rumblefish

One Too Many
You're talking about classics. The ones that had their metal and wood meet with hardly a seam, and had actions as smooth as silk. The checkering was more than just a stamping and had creative borders. And for the high price ones; scroll work that could only be done by someone who could pick fly sh!t out of pepper while wearing boxing gloves.

Having an uncle who owned a gun shop, a cousin who is a gunsmith and a family full of hunters from years back, I've seen and do own a few guns that were made like what I think you're referring to. They are all long guns though and affordable to blue-collar folks (not any London, Ferlach, etc. makers). Some of them are L.C. Smith, Weatherby, Anshutz, FN Browning, Sako, Franchi, Beretta, and A.H. Fox. But my favorite maker will always be Mannlicher Schoenauer (forgive me for posting about MS yet again). No bolt action is smoother and the lines of the gun, like the Mausers and CZs, have that Central European look that I go for. Back in 56' my father bought his MS for $123 from my uncle's shop, a mint one now goes for over $2000. The thing is, to build guns to have the quality of the ones built from the turn of the century to the 60s', manufacturing would command the same $2000 or likely more if they were built today. Not really blue-collar any more.

Two places I like to "window shop" Lewis Drake http://www.drake.net/ and Cabelas Gun Library http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...hyId=10468&cm_re=home040308*right*gun_library

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass