Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classy cars

Micawber

A-List Customer
Oh well since the photo of my last Rolls Royce failed to elicit any kind of response how about the 1934 Standard 10 Special I owned some fifteen years ago?

10SP.gif

pgoat

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Nope-
Top 2 are Morris Minor/1000.
An English classic.
About half the size of a Willys.

But what is lurking beneath the clothes of the Cat-mobile..?

B
T
wow - I was way off - thanks for the info!

we saw an old Willys in mid-restoration out near the Hamptons last weekend. Beautiful cars!

Someday I wanna get another 54 Chevy - my first car. But I'd want a 2 door (needn't be a Bel Air) and you better believe I'd go for a 12 volt upgrade!
pgoat

Warbaby

One Too Many
Micawber said:
Oh well since the photo of my last Rolls Royce failed to elicit any kind of response how about the 1934 Standard 10 Special I owned some fifteen years ago?

10SP.gif

Now that's an absolute gem! Much cooler than the Rolls.

I once had an MG L-Type of the same year - another of my past cars that I sorely regret selling (I've followed it's history through three subsequent owners. It's now owned by a collector in Japan).

MG-2.jpg

MG-3.jpg

Aero 400

New in Town
Big Inch Heavy Metal Piston Power- no coincidence that the 1940s P-47D Thunderbolt engine was often seen with a Chevrolet Bow Tie cast into the front gear cover of the engine-

Imagine the sound of a 1944 sky, American pistons roam free, and postwar hot rods bring the thrill of thousands of horsepower within reach of daily life.

That's me standing there with my puppy and kitten. I sold the puppy and someone stole the kitten...
MeltingPlanetMotionPictures44-87-ER.jpg

Today's menu: 0-130 MPH in about ten seconds. It's my only car, I drive it every day. I don't want a Bennz or a Bimmah... Ya gotta back style with muscle if ya wants respect from the mugs and dolls in the joint....
elcomotorcurrent.jpg

Aero 400

New in Town
Mr. Wayne, Warbaby:

Thank you for the comments !

To me the 1940s were an era of personal style and consequently individual distinction. Personal comportment, bearing, and social grace were items of revered value to the individual, and I regret the loss of this frame of mind in today's modern world. To this end, I generally find myself going along seldom-trodden pathways, and driving a 175 MPH champion drag racer as my daily driver is, to me, a matter of style (and distinction from the bubble shaped clones offered to us by modern designers). The car can be more than driven- it can be worn, and as such is as much the art of clothing the person as it is the engineering of seriously powerful and fast personal transportation. In this vein, we as Americans who know also the feeling and use of tools, may be our own Enzo Ferraris; that is to say we may be men and women who do not find vulgarity in the working of the hands and do not find separation between graceful style and manner when compared to long, cold, lonely and hungry nights under bare light bulbs during the design and construction of machines which express the passion of excellence within our hearts.

The 454 cubic inch rat is fitted with sequential port fuel injection based upon a drag racing platform of software, 12:1 compression, forged everything, complete roller valvetrain, .640" / .650" lift, pro cylinder heads, with supercharger (re-installed soon) and 540 cubic inches it produces about 775 horsepower and 800+ ft.lbs of torque. All engine management functions are computer controlled and may be modified at will even while driving.

Under max accelleration (meaning with good traction) the blood leaves your eyeballs enough to gray out your peripheral vision.
It runs smoothly in traffic and idles quietly, and returns 21mpg on the highway without supercharging.

The car is a 1966 Chevelle El Camino and drives quietly and solidly, until you boot it.
I found the car sitting in the same spot it had occupied for nearly 3 decades without moving. I stripped the entire vehicle and kept only the bare frame rails and the hollowed-out body shell. Everything is brand new and state of the art, save for the final bodywork and finish.

I'm looking forward to many discussions of art and style. I think this site has tons of potential. I hope to make a lot of friends here.

Eric

Micawber

A-List Customer
Warbaby said:
Now that's an absolute gem! Much cooler than the Rolls.

I once had an MG L-Type of the same year - another of my past cars that I sorely regret selling (I've followed it's history through three subsequent owners. It's now owned by a collector in Japan).

MG-2.jpg

MG-3.jpg

Nice - is it a Magna?

pgoat

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
Hey! Another Chrysler man! With another Newport, no less. ;)

Here's my '67 Newport Custom:
deab8157.jpg

Newportlf.jpg

dscn0123.jpg

dscn0479.jpg

Newportcustomemblem.jpg

Lee
Lee that's one fine automobile. Really takes me back to my childhood!

Is it all original? The interior looks pristine! It's mighty clean, restored or not...

Warbaby

One Too Many
Aero 400 said:
To me the 1940s were an era of personal style and consequently individual distinction. Personal comportment, bearing, and social grace were items of revered value to the individual, and I regret the loss of this frame of mind in today's modern world. To this end, I generally find myself going along seldom-trodden pathways, and driving a 175 MPH champion drag racer as my daily driver is, to me, a matter of style (and distinction from the bubble shaped clones offered to us by modern designers). The car can be more than driven- it can be worn, and as such is as much the art of clothing the person as it is the engineering of seriously powerful and fast personal transportation. In this vein, we as Americans who know also the feeling and use of tools, may be our own Enzo Ferraris; that is to say we may be men and women who do not find vulgarity in the working of the hands and do not find separation between graceful style and manner when compared to long, cold, lonely and hungry nights under bare light bulbs during the design and construction of machines which express the passion of excellence within our hearts.

Very well said, Aero 400. I've had several vintage cars over the years - all of which were my sole daily drivers (including that '34 MG) and I, too, felt that they were an expression of personal style as much as the clothes I wore. Being primarily old British Iron, none of them were particularly fast or powerful (except for a '68 Charger that was Too Much Fun), but they gave me great pleasure, both in the driving and the tinkering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou