Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a hat

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
What substance or process would one use to clean a hat. Primarily to get salt/sweat stains out?

It will be reblocked. I've been experimenting with that already, but I don't know how to really clean the hat.

a couple of ways...

I agree on the Naptha, I've used that on a couple of hats and it seems to work very well on organic / oil based stains. but on "sweat" stains or water based stains (fruit punch, etc (I have to thank my son for that one)) use a clean cloth and dab it with warm water with a little wool-lite unless you want to reblock & sew in a new sweatband, I DO NOT RECOMMEND dunking your hat in water.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Not sure but if a hat is dry cleaned, I would imagine the hat would need to be blocked again, and maybe some stiffener replaced. We have used a slight amount of hand soap on a not too wet washcloth, and then just distilled water on a clean washcloth. It takes time but has worked on some stains. The the hat sponge to work on any spots left behind. Hats can get totally wet if worn in hard rain....I do not think it really hurts them too much, so getting a hat soaking wet may not hurt a hat? Might shrink it if it dries too fast. You can watch a video on YouTube about Roy Rogers shaping his hats...from totally wetting them in the shower.....

-30-

A-List Customer
"Primarily to get salt/sweat stains out?"

Vinegar works like a charm.
Depending on the amount of salting, a cloth dampened and daubed, should do the trick.

Regards,
J T

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Joao : Probably not the first time. There is actually not such as thing as "dry cleaning". That's just what cleaning without water is called. Instead of water, some organic solution is used. Cleaning with naphtha is "dry cleaning" ;)

Yup, that's it. I tried to stiff it with cornstarch yesterday and now there are stains from it. I will also need a block for reshaping a brim. I thing there is no makeshift replacement for it.

Fur hats were traditionally stiffened with shellac, and some hat-stiffeners still contain shellac. Cornstarch is not suitable for stiffening of felt. To reshape the brim you'll need a flange in the right size and oval - and with the right profile. You will also need some flanging cloth and an iron. A sandbagger would also be really handy to press the brim on the flange.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao : Probably not the first time. There is actually not such as thing as "dry cleaning". That's just what cleaning without water is called. Instead of water, some organic solution is used. Cleaning with naphtha is "dry cleaning" ;)

Living and learning. Thank you for the explanation.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome. And remember: If you have to spill a drink ... make it a Dry Martini ;)

Some lingo just doesn't make sense, if you don't specifically know :)

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I must look for some stiffener somewhere in the West then, I didn't find anything like that here in CZ. The flange or hat block still remains a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner