Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cloaks

ghettoguy

New in Town
In medieval tradition travelers cloaks protected against the weather remarkably well. Are such sinister articles considered appropiate/fashionable attire?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, that is what I meant before. Don't ask for permission on the interwebs.

They are not "fashionable" but maybe you can create the perfect eccentric dandy wizard look? Who knows.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got a nice hooded cloak, but I only pull it out for Halloween and visits to the Renaissance Faire:

WIZARD.JPG

This one is just cotton, so it wouldn't really work as outerwear in nasty weather, but there's a good reason why wool cloaks were standard garments for centuries!

majormajor

One Too Many
youngsupermanr.jpg

If I was gonna do it, I'd have to go the whole hog with the underwear on the outside............

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Can somebody differentiate for me between a cloak and a cape? I have a nice wool Casco Bay cape that I got myself a few years ago. It's nice and warm and it looks great, but since I moved to the Bronx from Brooklyn I feel a lot more self conscious about wearing it. I also have a black nylon Inverness Cape (that I got from a great vendor in Glasgow called www.misterantony.com ) that's the best rain cape I've ever had.
But a cloak seems a lot more medieval to me. I think more Merlin than Sherlock when I thin of cloak.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Can somebody differentiate for me between a cloak and a cape? I have a nice wool Casco Bay cape that I got myself a few years ago. It's nice and warm and it looks great, but since I moved to the Bronx from Brooklyn I feel a lot more self conscious about wearing it. I also have a black nylon Inverness Cape (that I got from a great vendor in Glasgow called www.misterantony.com ) that's the best rain cape I've ever had.
But a cloak seems a lot more medieval to me. I think more Merlin than Sherlock when I thin of cloak.

Just curious, is there that much a difference between the Bronx and Brooklyn when it comes down to personal fashion?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
The United States Navy still has them. They are still on the books as a uniform item, but I have only seen one in my 15 1/2 years in. We call them "Boat Cloaks". The one that I have seen was worn by a female officer.

If you have seen the picture of FDR meeting with Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and General Secretary Joseph Stalin at the Yalta conference in FEB of 1945, he is wearing what I believe to be a Navy Boat Cloak.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
In the Alps there is still a tradition for loden capes/cloaks for trachten/hunting clothing. I've seen it worn on occasion in Austria personally.

ghettoguy

New in Town
Men's cloaks show up on the fashion runways (in less than ideal remakes). It wasn't all that long ago they were formal wear. And woman's fashion utilizes this design consistently. I'm neither asking permission nor defending their use. I was curious as to what caused such rejection to what is seemingly a good classic design that keeps reappearing.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
While they may make it on to the runway, they rarely trickle down onto high street. Last time I remember anything close to resembling a cloak in the shops was a very short-lived line of ponchos in Hoi Polloi back around 1990, during a psychedelic revival in the UK. I didn't buy one, but my friend did, it was purple and rather nasty quality :eeek:. He wore it about half-a-dozen times before it was consigned to the floor of his wardrobe. Those were strange times...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Re: Bronx vs. Brooklyn. Brooklyn has gotten so hip over the last few years that wearing something "different" just seems much less outre than here in the Bronx. Bronx still has lots of gangbangers and such. But as I've said before, when I wear snazzy duds around here, I do get lots of very positive reactions, So there you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic