Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar up?

gfirob

Familiar Face
Who wears the collar up on their jacket? Sharp style or affectation?
I wear my Highwayman collar down but my Bootlegger up.
What do you do?
Rob

Javelina

New in Town
When the wind is howling as it does here in this town, the collar has to be UP. Heck even my scarf complains that it needs some protection from the wind! The best part about owning something functional - like a jacket with a big collar - is that it may look cool, but that's incidental since you're using it for the intended purpose. And if it doesn't look cool, hey who cares - it keeps you warm.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Collar up = definitely cool, definitely attitude. But there's a proper way to do it. Only the back should be up - points rolled over and down. I think it's particularly essential with leather jackets and trench coats. To me, a flat, turned-down collar on a leather jacket looks kinda wussy.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
On occasion, when the weather's particularly cold out, I'll turn up the collar of my G-1 at the back, but try to make it so that the front sides are "slanted." It's just as functional as well as being a cool look itself, but it's not something I do most of the time, admittedly.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Warbaby said:
Collar up = definitely cool, definitely attitude. But there's a proper way to do it. Only the back should be up - points rolled over and down. I think it's particularly essential with leather jackets and trench coats. To me, a flat, turned-down collar on a leather jacket looks kinda wussy.

I would agree with that.

Personally I wear collar up with most garments that have a collar, firstly because I do not like the back of my neck bare, not even in summer and secondly because, as said above, it looks 'tame'.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Looks like its comes down to personal opinion bar the weather conditions. For me collar up always puts me in mind of the Fonz...

the-fonz-henry-winkler-2b502ae0ae2cada6_medium.jpg

... which isn't quite my thing. A trench coat, Bogie style however, is the business...

T175662%7EHumphrey-Bogart-Posters.jpg

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
I haven't posted much before, but I'll put in my $.02.

I turn the collar up on my A-2 jacket only when the weather is really nasty. If rain is getting blown down the back of my neck, the collar goes up; otherwise, it stays down. My jacket is well broken-in, so it does the Bogie look on its own (up in the back, down in the front). The collar isn't stiff enough to stand up all the way around, even if I wanted it to.

I've always thought that an intentionally "popped" collar (Fonz style) looks a little goofy for everyday wear. Maybe some folks can pull it off, though.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Warbaby said:

That's a great suggestion to put the collar up the way you mentioned. :)

Keeping the back up and the points rolled over and down... won't that cause the collar to develop the crease lines at the areas on the points that are folded down, and also will it cause the collar to bend out of shape if you were to put your collar back to the traditional way of both back and points down?

On my Aero NYPD jacket I've been keeping my collars down, while my other jacket (the Arturo leather jacket I bought from Griff on the forums here) i keep the shawl style collar up.

I dunno... there's something about the NYPD jacket that makes me not want to keep the collar up on it... perhaps the formality of the jacket being a police-style jacket and the fact that it's dedicated to my Indian police chief grandfather... I don't feel right putting my collars up on that jacket (it's hard to explain).

TheModernLife

New in Town
Warbaby said:

Agreed. Perfection of the look:

tumblr_l4ksdhacXs1qz7lxd.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Put me on the functionality team. Bad weather (even just coldness) collar up, assuming it is outerwear, like a leather jacket, peacoat, trenchoat or the like. If, however, it is not bad out, the collar should go down. (And a trenchcoat should not be being worn).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran