Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collings Foundation B-24H Flight

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I went to Altoona, Pennsylvania and took in the Collings Foundation B-24H again. This time I wanted the whole experience so I really dressed for the occasion! My Dad was a B-24J co-pilot - though he did fly first pilot a few times before the wars end. Everything is original WW2 except for the cheap knock-off wearing them. The "thumbs-up" shot was not my idea. Oh, dhermann1, I did not wear a tie as the flight suit would cover everything anyway.

John

DSC00102_zpse52e16b6.jpg

DSC00101_zpsc4845cd9.jpg

B-24H_Tail_zpsd250ff8b.png

DSC00098_zpsbcf93e27.jpg

My Dad was from Altoona and in September 1944 he "Buzzed" my Grandmother's and Mother's homes on his way overseas in his B-24. Against regs of course, but hey, there was a war on!

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Correction: The Collings Foundation B-24 is a "J" model painted to represent a ship that was an "H" model. The Collings' ship (44-44052) served with the RAF in the Pacific during the war.

I was surprised that moving around inside the ship during flight with the parachute harness on was not very difficult. The only slight hang up was in the narrow bomb bay catwalk.

If the Collings Foundation is every near when the weather is in the lower fifties (Fahrenheit) I'll have to give the high altitude kit a try.

Ross817

New in Town
My Grandfather was also a co-pilot on a J model Named "Sweet Routine" that operated out of the Pacific. Below are pics of his flight jacket I have.

*I hope this is not considered Hi-jacking, just sending some J model Liberator love*

Ross817

New in Town
Will do, I have a picture on my phone, ill have to upload tomorrow at work. But its the later Bronco pattern. Im going to have John at Goodwear make me a repro one of these days.

-Ross

Ross817

New in Town
Sweet Routine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378416090790.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378416090790.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 155

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Between Goodwear and the patch artists here on the Lounge, you should be able to get something very close to your jacket.

I once spoke with a veteran B-24 radar operator who was in the Pacific. He had some very long missions.

As you undoubtedly know, some great pictures of the "Sweet Routine" at:

http://11thbombgroup.org/home.html

I think your jacket's artwork might even be better than that on the plane! They had VERY talented artists in 11th BG(H).

John

Ross817

New in Town
Yea Im pretty fortunate that Sweet Routine was a well documented bird. This jacket is by far my most prized posession. Coolest thing is my grandads military ID still in the pocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21