Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colonial Clothing....political?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightbore

Suspended
Does anyone else wonder if all threads discussing "tropical" or "adventure" type clothing might represent a tacit embrace of "colonial" politics? Given that these discussions MIGHT lead toward a discussion of politics or MIGHT lead to less than civil behavior, shouldn't these threads be locked immediately? Of course not....because pretty much any topic CAN become political. Locking any discussion while people are being civil because it is thought people might get out of line is stupid....yes, just plain STUPID. Looks like a lot of people around here appreciate dialogue as long as everyone agrees or no one MIGHT get offended to the point of being discourteous. Now, there are a lot of nice people around FL, but I'm not sure there are enough to justify dealing with the few stitch counting freaks (experts?)...whether they be stitches in physical or word form. Can we keep a running clock measuring the amount of time before this thread is locked or deleted?

eightbore

Suspended
:)

Glad you in particular saw the humor in this post BK ! Locking threads that have become uncivil makes sense....pre-emptive locking of threads is a bit strange.

eightbore

Suspended
Johnnysan said:
Yeah, that's the way to get things back on track...poke the bear. :rolleyes:

It just seems odd.....especially the somewhat aggressive response to roosters recent thread questioning the action. That was the MOST uncivil response of any dealing with veal or anything....

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eh, I try to avoid controversial talk on the FL because it doesn't really hold my interest. I have the guilty pleasure of looking at locked threads like car wrecks, but not like shark tanks awaiting bloody bait.

I'm merely a guest on this board and as such I have no qualms allowing the tenders to decide the relevance of an issue.

And besides all that, there are plenty of forums on the net which allow one to express controversial issues. This simply isn't one of them. [huh]

Rooster

Practically Family
That's OK, as Cab Calloway used to sing, "A Chicken ain't nothin' but a bird".lol At least he won't have to go home and kick his dog to make himself feel better.....;)
Since when did eating veal become controversial? Sometimes I feel I've lived in a cave all of my life.

Feraud

Bartender
eightbore said:
Locking threads that have become uncivil makes sense....pre-emptive locking of threads is a bit strange.

I am glad you agree with the policy of locking uncivil threads because that is exactly what the veal thread quickly became.
Your initial response in particular lent absolutely nothing to answer the question. You did however, manage to offend a group of people right from the start.
Note your first comment in the veal thread -
These are the folks who are sadly infected with....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quasi-vegetarian Aesthetic Psychosis! The reality is that some people eat meat unless the animal is (was) deemed "cute" by completely arbitrary human standards. These are the same folks who lose their minds when you talk about hunting deer (too beautiful) but have no problem with hunting wild boar. Nevermind the fact that most vegetarians who give me a hard time for eating meat or hunting are more than happy to wear leather shoes to avoid inconveniencing themselves for the sake of their OWN principles. In other words, those of us eating the calf are horrifically cruel but killing its mother for the sake of some nice knee high riding boots is perfectly alright.

Personally, the only problem I have with veal is when it is overcooked.

Why should such garbage continue?

Veal is not inappropriate, inappropriate comments on others lifestyles are.

eightbore

Suspended
I think my point is that everything is controversial to SOMEONE and there are some things that are controversial to everyone. Discussing the virtues of say cannibalism, might be a rare example of the latter....and I can understand such topics being deleted. BUT pretty much everything else, no matter how apparently innocent, might offend someone or become political. Closing a thread because some discussion might lead to someone being rude is well......rude.

Feraud

Bartender
eightbore said:
Closing a thread because some discussion might lead to someone being rude is well......rude.

You have missed the point again. The thread was not closed because it "might" become rude.
Certain comments posted were rude jabs at others instead of answering the original question.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
eightbore said:
It just seems odd.....especially the somewhat aggressive response to roosters recent thread questioning the action. That was the MOST uncivil response of any dealing with veal or anything....

This is an old horse that has long since been beaten to death. The bartenders here do a fantastic job of maintaining a level of decorum that is unheard of on other boards. Countless posts have praised them for their efforts and it is the reason that we are able continue to have civil discourse among ourselves - even when we disagree.

When someone starts a clearly inflammatory thread whose only purpose is to stir the pot, it should be locked or deleted. If you have a concern with a particular practice on the Lounge, the appropriate way to deal with it is to take it up with the management via a PM - not by trying to get 10 or 20 or 100 other members to give you a virtual "right on" by agreeing with your position in an open thread. That's not a discussion - it's grandstanding.

eightbore

Suspended
Feraud said:
Veal is not inappropriate, inappropriate comments on others lifestyles are.

Is not eating veal a lifestyle? Wow. Does california allow two non-veal eaters to marry? :) Seriously, nowhere did I say that all vegetarians are silly, ignorant or anything else....only those quasi-vegetarians which surely does not include those dedicated and true vegetarians here at FL.

eightbore

Suspended
Johnnysan said:
not by trying to get 10 or 20 or 100 other members to give you a virtual "right on" by agreeing with your position in an open thread....

As opposed to the moderator giving himself a "virtual right on" for all to see and then keeping the locked thread up? Really, my comments may have been harsh to some but no more harsh than some of the treatment I have received by the "animal lovers" on this site. I dont recall anyone running to my defense at that point so it seems pretty clear that all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. Bottom line...EVERYTHING is political, even (perhaps especially) moderation in the interest of eliminating politics.

Rooster

Practically Family
Here's the initial question of the highly controversial thread.
What's so bad about veal?
As an outsider looking in at USA, through the window of movies, magazines, books, tv and such, I sometimes stumble across things I don't understand. And that is just irritating.

The thing I wonder about right now is that I have noticed that a some Americans seems to think that eating veal is really mean. Although they eat other "baby" animals like chicken. Why is veal supposed to be so bad? Im just curious!
Here's some one from Europe wondering why Americans are so weird about what we eat. Now this poor person is probably really confused as we aren't even allowed to discuss the eating of veal let alone actually eat it. The locking of this subject is pretty silly actually. Just my opinion of course.
So the vegans are offended by eating of veal and the thread is locked. Their view on the subject must be correct and the subject is locked and there is no more discussinon. I'm offended that people consider me an outcast for eating of veal, yet what I think makes no difference.
What a good impression we make of Americans eh?lol

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
As the starter of the thread in question, I have to say that it is OK by me that it got closed. It might seem a bit harsh, but I can understand that this place sometimes needs strickt rules.

Anyway, my point was not to start at discussion about veal or vegetarism, I just wanted an explanation, and I got it. If the thread had been closed before people had a chanse to answer the question, I would have felt differently. But it got closed after it went of track, wich is fine by me.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Helen is satisfied with her thread and since this thread is, in effect, an extension of a closed thread. This thread will follow it as closed, as will any subsequent rhasing of the closed topic.

There's plenty to speak about...

Nothing more to see here... Move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo