Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colors for Blondes

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Inspired by mysterygal's post regarding redheads, here is one aimed at blondes :)

I am a cool-skinned, pale blonde, and I find that I can wear a wide variety of colors: pinks, reds, blues, purples, greens, yellows, browns, and even some shades of orange. As I am a very pale-skinned person, I find that the trick is to choose more saturated colors. Luckily, the popular colors of the 1930s-40s fit this bill perfectly ;)

Some photo examples of Jean Harlow and Carol Landis:

47b6d910b3127cce8b8430bd2c5000000015108AatmbRq2ctP

cl_sguide746.jpg

cl_slnd641.jpg

cl_hitp745m.jpg

cl_pho643m.jpg

cl_dixie2.jpg

clp_lavender.jpg

cl_parasol.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have similar coloring, although my hair is now dark blond. I get the most compliments when I wear white, red and lavendar. The red that works best is light, cool red, not burgundy or orange-red.

As for yellow, I used to wear a yellow shirt sometimes when I went dancing. I couldn't get arrested in that shirt.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I can wear maroons and burgundys quite well. Also, orange reds, corals, and salmon pinks work well, too. I find that pale shades with little saturation wash me out like nothing else; they don't work with my very pale skin.

Here's Carole showing the color yellow I can wear--she's certainly garnering attention in this dress :)

cl_momlc.jpg

Irena

One of the Regulars
I say that I'm blonde, though my hair has more metal tones... gold, brass, and copper, along with a darker under-layer. Because of my hair color, I cannot wear much gold (the metal) as it clashes. My skin doesn't help... I cannot wear many greens or anything brighter than a butter-yellow (I turn yellow/green), or very many pinks (I turn salmon-ish). Neutral tones (beige, tan, mauve) wash me out.

On the up-side, I look wonderful in dark or light colors other than green and yellow, and including black and white.

My eyes change constantly: blue, green, grey, and violet are normal, and I have a few yellow specks.

Looking back at what I wrote, I must sound quite odd.

Naama

Practically Family
Ok, I'm a blonde, but as faked as bossible ;) Naturally I'm a darker brown, my skin colour? I don't know, I just can't say if it's cool or warm, but some days ago afriend of mine said I look cheesy (over here you say that unpolite to pale people) [huh] Very nice....
I mostly wear bleack and white, I think I like the contrast or the all white look pretty much!

Naama

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
You're all so lucky I always wish I'd been born a blonde or suited blonde. It's such a "cult" colour: think Marilyn, Diana Dors, Veronica etc.......
I think that of all the hair colours you have the widest choice of colours you can choose from and you always look FABULOUS in red.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
In the above picture, I think the colors work only because the model looks like she has some flint in her. Otherwise, given her coloring, those clothes would be wearing her. In any case, cobalt blue would look better on her, and would still look serious.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have very similar coloring (paler, though) and I love the way that shade of pink looks on me (that's why I posted the photo actually, because it is a color I would choose to wear.) I can wear the gamut from rose to magenta, actually.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think a warmer pink or coral would look better on her than lilac pink. But I was looking more at the black suit as being a little too intense.

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Another photo example:
47b6d620b3127cce8b8fd6ca92d100000025108AatmbRq2ctP

Ohh! I have a crepe dress in the same colours as that, the dress is black with that bright pink as the colour on the bodice with a few black sequins in rows across the front! It is such a fab colour combination and it looks fab in that pic!!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Doris Day

...Looks divine in navy and coral pink:

day-screenguide-nov.JPG

...but not so hot in lilac pink.
090431680124.jpg

Soft orange does her justice...
dorisday.jpg

...and she look like a million bucks in warm, clear red!
cvr60-doris.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Betty in red:
fashion_betty_grable200x258.jpg

And yellow:
Grable4.jpg

Cream:
grable2.jpg

Veronica in black:

ss33l.jpg

Warm rust and green:
ss54l.jpg

Pink:
ss50l.jpg

Red:
b20l.jpg

a42l.jpg

Blue:
ss51l.jpg

Note how the makeup is adjusted to complement the different colors, and also note how a slight change in hair color warmth allows for different colors to be worn.

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Warm rust and green:
ss54l.jpg

Note how the makeup is adjusted to complement the different colors, and also note how a slight change in hair color warmth allows for different colors to be worn.

I love those two colours! I think her hair looks a slightly warmer shade, even verging on a ginger shade, in this picture, but it definatly works!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm having a hard time finding a lipstick color that goes well... I have fair skin (pale, but I don't think as pale as jitterbugs) and blue eyes. I'm looking for a pink shade and a red shade that would be complementary. The ones I had with my black hair seems way too dark with me being blonde now!
Also, after bleaching my hair, after a week, it starts getting a yellow 'hue' to it. Is this what they call 'brassiness?' what products keep this from happening or is this just enivitable?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Yes, brassiness is that yellow/orange hue that stinks. Go to a hair store an pick up a bottle of Shimmer Lights by Clairol, it's a violet shampoo. It works wonders, but the only down side is that in my opinion it smells like flea dip for dogs.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Violet shampoo works wonders on bleached and natural blonde hair. You do have to be careful about leaving it on your hair for too long, as your hair will start to take on a very distinct purple cast.

I can wear a wide range of reds and bright pinks, but I especially like very bright, true and blue-based reds. I do avoid orange-based colors, as they clash with the cooler tones in my skin. My favorite reds are MAC Ruby Woo and Besame Red; MAC Girl About Town is a great pink shade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy