Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Columbo raincoat

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Now that I own a trench coat that's perfect for me, I would like to get a "normal" raincoat, single-breasted, no belt, no epaulets, no gunflap, no rainshield at the back etc.

Pretty much like Lt. Columbo wore in the TV series "Columbo". It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but pretty much like it(but not beat-up and dirty). I would like it longer than it was in the series, though. Here's some info on the Columbo raincoat http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/raincoat.htm

Any ideas where I could get a raincoat like that for as cheap as possible? There's no maximum price, just give me ideas and I will choose the best ones myself.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Who knows? It's a pretty ordinary 1960's rain coat. Try second hand shops and ebay and sometimes men's clothing brands do issue retro looking coats like this. If you want an exact one, you will need to get someone like Magnoli to make it for you. Otherwise I would imagine there are thousands of similar old coats stashed all over Europe. I have owned three similar ones over the past 25 years.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Like I said, I don't want the coat to be beaten up and dirty, but have the same style as Columbo's.

But, anyway, did you know that the coat can be made beaten up alot faster than two years? Here are the instructions:

"First, scuff the raincoat's cuffs with sandpaper;

Second, bleach the coat to fade its color;

Third, add fabric softener to remove any stiffness;

Fourth, add mineral oil to produce unsightly grease stains;

Fifth, rub in dirt to produce the grubby, disheveled look;

Sixth, place coat in washing machine for multiple washings;

And finally, hang the coat to dry, remembering to stuff the pockets with wet paper towels to create extra bagginess. "

Source: http://www.tvacres.com/clothing_jackets_columbo.htm

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I found a pretty much matching coat today from a flea-market and for what price! Only 1 euro! If something is cheap, then that is. Even a supermarket disposable packed-in-a-minigrip-bag raincoat(those plastic like) costs more than that.

I'm more than happy with it! Not the 100% perfect condition and maybe a bit baggy, but it's alright for such a small price.

Navin323i

Practically Family
TrenchGuy said:
I found a pretty much matching coat today from a flea-market and for what price! Only 1 euro! If something is cheap, then that is. Even a supermarket disposable packed-in-a-minigrip-bag raincoat(those plastic like) costs more than that.

I'm more than happy with it! Not the 100% perfect condition and maybe a bit baggy, but it's alright for such a small price.

Congrats on finding your jacket at such a good price. :)

Would love to see how it looks... could you post up some pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats