Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Combination Skin Nightmare!

jayem

A-List Customer
I have that dreaded combination skin with a sensitive acne-prone T-zone. Ladies, I have tried everything, including Pro-Activ. My diet is pretty fair... I do drink a ton of coffee, but I also drink a lot of water. I rarely eat greasy foods and I may have some pop once a month or so. Sleep is an issue, but I do try to get at least 8 hours. Everything seems to work for a week... and then I'm back to having ugly breakouts on my forehead, chin, and nose. Right not, I'm using cold cream (original) to remove make-up when I wear it (which is rare, I work in an animal hospital anyways), PanOxyl bar soap to wash (once at night, Queen Helene Oat and Honey scrub in the morning), hydrogen peroxide to tone (I've used witch hazel, which didn't make a difference), and Purpose sensitive skin moisturizer. Please ladies, I'll take any tips, advice, etc.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I'm using cetaphil right now. I like how my skin feels after I use it. I had terrible skin after I had my daugther and the only thing that worked was prescriptions. I am now on Diane-35 which did wonders but took a few months to work. And while I waited for the Diane-35 to kick in I used Benxaclin (another prescription, but this one is topical). The Diane-35 is amazing. The Benxaclin worked but my skin felt very tight and dry while I used it. I believe there are a few other birth control pills out there that are effective for clearing up skin. Talk to your doctor about it! I wish I had months sooner!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have similar skin and just cannot use cold cream. I have tried time and time again. Breakout city. I also switched to a higher end mineral make-up and that has helped me over the traditional liquid foundation. I do second the idea of Birth control for helping to maintain clearer skin - but that is a whole different subject that has a lot of pros and cons for various people and I don't want to offend. It works for me.

For general washing I've been using a Boots #7 cleanser or a neutrogena one. The more simple my routine the better my skin reacts. It's when I do too much or use too many products that I end up with a breakout.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have you tried a more natural approach? Not what products say is 'natural' but simply oils and castile soap and stuff like that?

Try this thread. You have to dedicate a good 3 months to it to see any affects, but its a good method.

You might want to see a dermatologist. What foods you think might be okay for your skin may not be at all. Could be a food allergy, or a number of things.

LD

Inky

One Too Many
I agree you should see a dermatologist first and foremost for your acne condition. Many factors can play into this, especially hormones and age, but also genetics. It's not always food, but it could be allergies (especially if you get breakouts on other parts of your body). Proper hydration and rest are important too.

Your products may be too harsh like the other Loungers mentioned. I can't use cold cream regularly either, it's just too much for my skin. I second Cetaphil line of products, very gentle and affordable.

jayem

A-List Customer
Genetics do play a role, for sure. My mom has very oily skin and had terrible acne as a teen, but very little adult acne. My dad had the sensitive and fair Irish skin and never had a blemish, but if he didn't slather lotion on at night his skin would crack because it was so dry. In my teens, I had nice, smooth skin... but ever since I hit around 20 my skin has been terrible. My brother followed in my mom's skin footsteps. He went to a dermatologist about 10 years ago when he was in his teens and was prescribed Accutane. It worked for him.

I was on Yaz birth control for migraines, but it didn't do anything for my skin. Yaz is actually supposed to be the #1 birth control recommended by dermatologists for acne, but alas, not for me. Ironically, it didn't help my migraines either... but that's another subject :)

LadyDay, I think I will try that OCM. I just went to Jewel and purchased some grapeseed oil and caster oil, and will do a 90%, 10% mixture (respectively). I just did my first washing, and I will say my skin feels so smooth! A tad bit dry though in the areas like my nose and cheeks (I was peeling there to begin with, though). Let's hope this works.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jayem said:
LadyDay, I think I will try that OCM. I just went to Jewel and purchased some grapeseed oil and caster oil, and will do a 90%, 10% mixture (respectively). I just did my first washing, and I will say my skin feels so smooth! A tad bit dry though in the areas like my nose and cheeks (I was peeling there to begin with, though). Let's hope this works.

Cool, like with anything, you will get worse before you get better. The OCM does take a commitment, of easily 3 months before you see lasting results. Just dont get frustrated :) Good luck!

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jayem said:
I have that dreaded combination skin with a sensitive acne-prone T-zone. Ladies, I have tried everything, including Pro-Activ. My diet is pretty fair... I do drink a ton of coffee, but I also drink a lot of water. I rarely eat greasy foods and I may have some pop once a month or so. Sleep is an issue, but I do try to get at least 8 hours. Everything seems to work for a week... and then I'm back to having ugly breakouts on my forehead, chin, and nose. Right not, I'm using cold cream (original) to remove make-up when I wear it (which is rare, I work in an animal hospital anyways), PanOxyl bar soap to wash (once at night, Queen Helene Oat and Honey scrub in the morning), hydrogen peroxide to tone (I've used witch hazel, which didn't make a difference), and Purpose sensitive skin moisturizer. Please ladies, I'll take any tips, advice, etc.

I read this and i see the words 'once a month or so'......erm hormonally induced breakouts are very very common.

I second the go to a derm if you can do so....if not I would also suggest a gentler routine...

I see that your soap has 5% Benzoyl Peroxide.....which you then follow up with hydrogen peroxide....which further dries things out...

in the mornings you scrub....more drying...

Your skin reacts to you stripping all the oils off of it by -producing- more oil......its an endless cycle.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I have combo skin too.

I've tried almost every skin care line under the sun. I can be a freak about cleanser, exfoliating, scrubbing creams and gadgets and I used to go through tons of toner (everything from Ski Breeze, remember that?, to huge bottles of Clinque step 2). Now, all I need is Philosophy "Purity" and a wash cloth. It's not an overnight fix, but with regular use, I can tell that it keeps my pores clear.

Neecerie is 100000% correct. If you keep stripping your skin, your body will compensate by over producing oil.

I used to get catalogs from DHC skincare and they always send samples. One that I tried and surprsingly liked was their Deep Cleansing Oil. I liked it for makeup removal at night, didn't leave me with a greasy or taut feeling and cut right through any flaky patches. Their mild cleansing bar is nice too. I hated their toner, felt like something sticky on my skin. Haven't tried their moisturizers.
http://www.dhccare.com/dhc/BestSellers.aspx

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Jayem, I have skin similar to yours. I started taking Diane-35 for my skin (like MarieAnne) a few years ago, and my skin has only improved. While I do still get hormonal breakouts, they're not as bad and not as common.

What I have found (through looong years of trial and error - no GP I ever saw referred me to a dermatologist :eusa_doh: ) is that using facial scrubs etc. generally only made my skin worse. The same with using harsh toners. I use Cetaphil as a cleanser and Clinique Superdefense spf 25 (for combination skin) as a day cream.

The best thing I've ever done for my skin, though, apart from the Diane-35, was rose hip oil. Absolutely the best thing. I had a lot of dark purple scars from acne, and consistent night time use of rose hip oil made them disappear. It also seems to help existing breakouts heal. I recommend it.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
And again, the Diane-35 did take a LONG time. Almost 6 months before my skin was totally clear. How long did you take Yaz?

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
That's true, MarieAnne, it took around 6 months to work for me too. I thought it was never going to, but it finally did start to show results. And I had breakouts not only on my face, but on my back quite badly as well.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know you don't want to hear it but, try quitting coffee. I had pretty much perfect skin through my teens, but when I started drinking coffee I got horrible cystic acne. I gave it up as soon as I identified it. If I have anything with coffee flavoring, or even if I open a bag of beans and smell them up close, I break out immediately. Toxic stuff.

At least, the reduction of caffeine will help, and you may have a sensitivity to something in coffee. Who knows? You can't tell until you experiment. Be warned, the headaches from quitting coffee are fierce.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My sister had bad acne, and she drank a lot of coffee and Pepsi. My father, who is 79, still gets blackheads and an occasional pimple, besides flaky yet oily skin; he drinks a pot of coffee every day. (Yes, I've suggested he cut back, but what do I know about skin or diet?:rolleyes: )

Having stopped drinking Coke a few years ago, I recommend going off caffeine gradually, if you choose to do so. Sudden caffeine withdrawal gave me headaches, stomach aches and mental fogginess.

As for a good gentle facial wash, I use Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser. It's not as heavy as cold cream and doesn't contain mineral oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner