Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
bellabella327 said:
I know. I really dislike the 80s fasions that are the "it" thing right now. To me they are so unflattering :eusa_doh: I can't believe someone thought a 40s dress was from the 80s.[huh]

I don't mind the 80s thing but I was surprised when one girl at my school showed up in silver leggings... I didn't know they made those!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I've had the 80's thing before. I was walking through Kingston town centre in a a pencil skirt, vintage blouse and court shoes with set hair, red lippy etc and these little 12 year olds wearing (I kid you not) leggings and neon legwarmers shouted "It's not the 80s anymore love" at me! My best friend and I laughed for about 10 minutes lol

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Comments

I find that people will only really comment if they are in a group. It's as if they see being different as a threat and have to reassert themselves.

I am really impressed with how we are all standing up together and holding our heads high. Every time I get a bad comment or someone laughing, I just think of the other Fedora Lounge Ladies and Gents who also dress this way everyday. :eusa_clap

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
...these little 12 year olds wearing (I kid you not) leggings and neon legwarmers shouted "It's not the 80s anymore love" at me!
Ha ha, classic!
I used to be a goth so am well accustomed to people yelling at me (as well as spitting, throwing things etc) - and I don't get quite as much negative attention these days. I found it amusing when in town recently someone just yelled "1940s lady!", and I thought, well that's not as catchy as it could be! I do occasionally get the odd idiot making comments and unfortunately some of them are quite personal and I take them badly, sensitive flower that I am; but I also get lovely comments from women who love my hair. The best thing is going to 1940s events and having old ladies tell you that you've got it just right, or someone saying you look just like their old mum did.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Also, I don't have any "vintage" friends, so being the sole target of rude people's attention does get to you sometimes. Not so bad if there's a group of you to laugh it off.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Now that you're here that's going to change :) There are lots of us in South East England and London. When you've posted enough to get private message privileges drop me a line.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Rocketblast said:
Also, I don't have any "vintage" friends, so being the sole target of rude people's attention does get to you sometimes. Not so bad if there's a group of you to laugh it off.

I think the people who yell these sorts of comments are going to yell at a woman on her own pretty much no matter what she is wearing. At various times I've been called fat, skinny, pale, snobby etc etc etc by clever, articulate people hanging out of cars. All of which were in fact statements of fact at the time, so I can't really argue, but it never makes you feel good!

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Rocketblast said:

Rocketblast, you are the same as me. No one I know is into the 40's/50's so I do kinda feel like I have no moral support when out and about.

littleblackcar

New in Town
Heh. I used to do open-mic nights with a (sadly now-defunct) old-time music club. Lots of little old ladies in the audience. They LOVED my dresses. One had made the same dress when she was in high school, 60 years earlier, and she was very excited to see it resurrected.

Younger people asked me if I was doing the Gillian Welch thing. At the time, I only knew what she sounded like and didn't realize she did a vintage-y look, so . . . no, I wasn't. Or, at least, I wasn't doing it because she did it.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
I think perhaps people react a little better to vintage styles if there's someone in the media who is currently sporting it... for example Christina Aguilera or Gwen Stefani a few years back. They don't know about the origins of the styles but they've seen something similar in music videos so that's okay by them. Also since Dita von Teese became better known to the general public I bet all of us have been compared to her, whether we look anything like her or not!

December

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
At various times I've been called fat, skinny, pale, snobby etc etc etc by clever, articulate people hanging out of cars.

I wish people wouldn't shout at me out of cars- if they're going to shout abuse, I'd like to at least be able to understand what they're saying!

I was once walking to the train station- a 15 minute walk- and no less than 4 cars beeped at me. Although I have no idea why [huh]

Going back to the cultural thing, where I live in North-East Hampshire there is a very large Nepalese community. The English kids will sneer, shout and whathaveyou (only when they're in a group, mind) but the Nepalese are very courteous.

In fact, I once got on a bus which a Nepalese man was driving. It was a rainy day so I was wearing my red raincoat and umbrella. He said to me "What a lovely brolly and coat you have! I saw it when I was coming down the road and I couldn't believe how lovely it was. Lovely, just lovely". That made my day :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
December said:
In fact, I once got on a bus which a Nepalese man was driving. It was a rainy day so I was wearing my red raincoat and umbrella. He said to me "What a lovely brolly and coat you have! I saw it when I was coming down the road and I couldn't believe how lovely it was. Lovely, just lovely". That made my day :)

Aw, how sweet of him! :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
December said:

Red raincoat! Sounds wonderful!

benstephens

Practically Family
Hello,

I hope you ladies do not mind me posting here. I read with interest all your posts about the vast range of comments you get. Having seen some of you (from afar!) I can not understand the negative comments!

However, I think there are a lot of people who are scared of anything different and perhaps due to a lack of social awareness seem to think the correct behaviour is to make negative and derogatory comments. I seem to remember a little while ago on UK TV they carried out an experiment with a hidden camera and a gay couple walking hand in hand down a high street. I was appalled at the comments.

I think the point about outside of London it being a lot harder to dress vintage is true. I suppose London is actually a very cosmopolitan city, and self expression is not actually that unusual. Although some of the suburbs would not be nice places to visit, but suspect that is true in whatever you wear.

I myself have had a huge variation in comments. I know it is probably a lot easier for a man, as the look, especially a suit is much closer to today’s clothes than a lot of the fashions the ladies wear.

I have had everything from people stopping to chat to some very threatening behaviour. Driving back from a dance one night when I used to have my slower vintage car, I was on the A127 in Essex, some lads pulled up beside me and started to shout real abuse, including insults about my hair and what they could see of my clothes etc. They then pulled in front of me and slowed me right down to about 5mph. I really thought that was going to be trouble.

As for the continent. I can honestly say that in general the reactions are as varied, although in general it seemed to me that the French love anything different, the Swiss are polite but view with suspicion and the Italians get excited. However, we got lots of great comments at the top of the mountains in Italy/Switzerland with people wanting to talk to us and complimenting us on our clothes etc.

In the end, I wish I had the confidence of some of you ladies, who really have made the style your own. As some have said, people will actual pick up on confidence and that can be the key between negative and positive comments.

Kindest Regards

Ben

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
The Dapper Man (the boyfriend) and I ventured into a pub yesterday that wasn't our local - in search of real ale. Our landlady at our local is lovely and everyone's used to the way we both dress, but yesterday the barman looked at us and just said... "Are you two in the right timeline?"

Jack was dressed very nicely, in his suit and tie, waistcoat, pocket watch etc... but I was just in my work uniform (I work at a chain pub on the weekends, black trousers, black shirt, tennis shoes) and a cardigan... I'd done my hair and my makeup vintage, but to be honest I felt like a complete scruffbag. Then he asked us if we were going to a costume party!

Well I never. xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner