Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Odalisque said:
Oh goodness. I'd hate to start a boycott!
Honestly, I would feel bad naming the store. It was such a random experience; as I've been there many times before and since and had nothing like that happen. I just figured she was having a really bad day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it was at all a justified or professional thing to say.
But I didn't let it put me off. I just thought it was interesting to see how dressing vintage can cause some folks to become a bit superior to those who don't.

You know, if you had said something to the woman, I would agree that you don't have to name the store. But since you didn't, that kind of behavior might continue. Don't think she learned her lesson just because you spent money when she assumed you wouldn't. I would suggest at least writing a letter to the store.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You know, if you had said something to the woman, I would agree that you don't have to name the store. But since you didn't, that kind of behavior might continue. Don't think she learned her lesson just because you spent money when she assumed you wouldn't. I would suggest at least writing a letter to the store.

True. I really would have loved to fire back a snappy retort but in those situations, my mind goes blank. And I'm pretty non-confrontational so it's easier for me to just ignore it and continue with my life.
If I called out every person I'd like to on their rude behavior, I would never have a free moment.;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Odalisque said:
True. I really would have loved to fire back a snappy retort but in those situations, my mind goes blank. And I'm pretty non-confrontational so it's easier for me to just ignore it and continue with my life.
If I called out every person I'd like to on their rude behavior, I would never have a free moment.;)

I didn't mean to sound naggy...I just hate when people who need customer goodwill mistreat the customer! I mean, so what if she had a bad day, she should learn to think first!

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I didn't mean to sound naggy...I just hate when people who need customer goodwill mistreat the customer! I mean, so what if she had a bad day, she should learn to think first!

Not naggy at all! I really appreciate that you wouldn't want that kind of behavior to slide. I'm just really bad at standing up for myself, especially in the moment. I haven't been dressing vintage for all that long and was still feeling a bit awkward about it, I guess. Should something like that even happen again, I'll give the offender an earful. Promise.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Next time she starts to say it, interrupt her with "I know, I know, what am I dressed up for? Like always nothing, this is just my style! But just wait till you do see me dressed up!" And laugh after so you appear friendly. Hopefully she'll subtly get your point.

Anwen

New in Town
Gosh, the snotty woman in the shop should probably be shown Pretty Woman (when the snotty saleswomen are catty to Julia Roberts because she's in hooker gear and she comes back with Richard Gere and lots of posh shopping bags...) !

I've only had one comment that I can remember, which was a couple of years ago, I was walking past a pub dressed in a vaguely 50s way (black satin circle skirt, heels of some sort, possibly a cardi and maybe curled hair) and someone shouted "Sophie Ellis Bextor!!" (a rather annoying singer with a vaguely 50s look) and when I went back the other way with my boyfriend (who I'd met at the station) they managed to come out with a line from one of her songs.

Just on the subject of 'is that a costume?' I sometimes see people dressed in full-on head-to-toe vintage, and want to say 'wow, you look amazing!' but I am sometimes too nervous to say it in case they say something like 'gah, I'm only wearing this for work!' or something, not least because it would be disappointing if that were the case! Still, from having read the Lounge quite a bit over the last few weeks, I shall try to be bolder :) I am starting to be more obviously (or perhaps coherently?) vintage-inspired in my dress, as opposed to being 'generically several decades ago' and am focusing a lot on the 1940s style, but I am a disabled single mum and often I'm doing well if I manage not to look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards...

I definitely don't wear jeans, though, on some people the right pair of jeans can look great, but they are so uncomfy, and on me they look rotten - if I'm going to suffer for fashion then, dammit, I want the fashion to be worth it! ;) I actually find corsets more comfortable than jeans, as at least they give a feeling of support to the back.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Anwen said:
Gosh, the snotty woman in the shop should probably be shown Pretty Woman (when the snotty saleswomen are catty to Julia Roberts because she's in hooker gear and she comes back with Richard Gere and lots of posh shopping bags...) !

You're right! It's funny how similar the situations are.:rolleyes:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Anwen said:
Just on the subject of 'is that a costume?' I sometimes see people dressed in full-on head-to-toe vintage, and want to say 'wow, you look amazing!' but I am sometimes too nervous to say it in case they say something like 'gah, I'm only wearing this for work!' or something, not least because it would be disappointing if that were the case! Still, from having read the Lounge quite a bit over the last few weeks, I shall try to be bolder :)

I feel that way when I see the kids around who are doing the 50s rebel look. Especially the gals, so often get mistaken for Rockabilly, which they prolly are, but are vastly more period correct in their capris, and satin jackets and late 50s make up. They look great!

I honestly choke up and dont know what to say to people either. I wanna go "Lets go antiquing together! Here's my number!" But no, I keep that to myself :eek:

Braking that ice to pay a compliment usually dosent resonate with the person until some minutes later, when they have had time to soak it in. If all I get is a 'thanks', when I pay them a compliment, thats fine with me . I know many are caught off guard. Im betting they are smiling later to themselves later on their way home.

LD

Anneloes

New in Town
I usually get really nice comments, if I get any (and those are mostly related to my stockings). But today I was repeatedly told by some of my fellow students that I 'always look so gothic!'. I have no clue how they can relate a late '40ies-'50ies wardrobe to gothic clothing, but apparently it's very much alike [huh] Beside my clothing, another one of their arguments was that I have such light skin and dark hair, and always wear red lipstick - I just am naturally very pale, but I like to see myself as a Snow White kind of pale, not Morticia Adams lol

Oh, and an exchange student proclaiming that I 'always look as if I just walked out of a 30ies movie'. I took it as a compliment but still, thirties and fifties are nothing alike in attire, makeup or hair. But he probably thought that all things vintage are the same, haha.

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Ha ha, I know what you mean. In my early teens I liked to dress like a 60's secretary and my brother and his friends always talked about me as the punkrocker. I still don't get how they got that togheter but I suspect it was my burgundy red hair cut in a bob. Everyone knows punkrockers have their hair like that, right?

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I have to post this-yesterday I wore this 80s-does-50s shirtwaist dress that I love; it is a leopard cotton print. It really gets attention because it is kinda loud, and I played up the 50s to the hilt with my black and tan oxfords and pearl jewelry. I mean, there was NO mistaking I was going for the 50s, right? (I worked at the vintage shop yesterday.)
So after work I stop at the store and grab some stuff. When I first walked in, a very nice older man complimented my dress and how I reminded him of his mom (I get that one a lot anyway) and then said, "so, you are trying to look like the 20s, right?"......I just smiled and said "no, the 50s, but thank you!" Then, I was checking out and the high school age bagger boy said I looked "nice, kinda 70s and stuff" and I just smiled and said thank you again. The compliments were meant sincerely and I appreciated them, but I just had to chuckle on the inside! I suppose to a kid about 16, the 70s were ancient history and that was about as far back as he could come up with that fast!

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
How do I respond ladies?

Hello ladies! I need some advice. Do any of you ladies ever get negative comments, like your dressing like an old lady or such things? I'm 19 and I really love vintage clothing, especially 30's and 40's. The problem is that when I tried wearing clothes that were similar to those periods, people began coming up to me and asking me why I was dressing so old for my age. What would you ladies say in my place? I am going with a friend to his Homecoming and I would like to wear a vintage dress a la Katherine Hepburn (my ABSOLUTELY favorite actress), but I don't know what to say if someone should ridicule me. The dance is next Saturday and I would appreciate all the advice you can give me. Sorry for the long thread. Have a nice weekend.

Sarah

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Manners responded to a similar question awhile back. Her suggested response: "I dress as I feel is appropriate, and I'm sure you do, too."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It comes with the territory

Everybody here has experienced this in one way or another. Each person responds in their own way. Just always remember not to let anyone drag you down to their level. There are threads for the Dumbest Comment, etc., so if you have stories to contribute, please share. Just know that there are people out here who appreciate how much class and style you have, even if the philistines around you don't.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Everyone here has a story of negative (and positive) comments while in vintage wear. Check out this thread
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10192

It's been my experience that when someone approaches you with a negative (and honestly, usually ignorant comment) you can either properly inform them or ignore them.

" I'm not dressing old for my age. I'm dressing from another era. And I think it's lovely and flattering."
or just ignore them if they are really offensive. Don't let anyone get you down about doing something you love.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
How do you respond? With class. And then don't worry about it. Unless these are friends, it's rude to just walk up to someone and say that they're dressing too old! Very unclassy. See the thread Odalisque linked to for some examples of unclassy comments and classy responses. :)

Go ahead and wear your dress. :) You love it; why settle for something modern and trendy if that's not what you want? And I'm sure it's an elegant and appropriate dress, too, which is often tough with modern youth formalwear.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
You can always turn it back on them, all the while making it sound self-depreciatory. See what single item they are wearing that is the poorest choice or the most clichéd, and say:

"I've found that I just can't make a pair of large sweat pants (or flip-flops, or Be-Dazzled denim jacket) look as good as you do. You're so lucky."

donCarlos

Practically Family
Same age, same problems :) They tell me that I dress like an old man all the time, but I know how much better I am than they are. You can hardly ever seek tolerance between teenagers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner