Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Some people just have no idea...

I think some of the comments that come off as rude, are really just because people don't know much about vintage. I take it for granted that people know what I mean when I say 'vintage.' I remember the first time someone complimented me on a 50s dress and I said "oh, thank you. It is vintage." They said "Wow! Did you make it?" and before I could think I just blurted out, "No! How old do you think I am!?!" :eek: Obviously a misunderstanding...

Orsini

Familiar Face
Lily Powers said:
Maybe someone found the seamed stockings less "cute" and more sensual, so their ethics got foisted on you for that reason. I'm glad they weren't rude when they expressed their work clothes preference, though.

Today I have on a vintage cotton dress, circa 1958. It's shirt-waisted, full skirt, a little below knee length and the sleeves are rolled to the elbow. The shoes are late 40's remakes that work well with the style. Our front desk receptionist just came thru my office and said, "And how are you today, Mrs. Cleaver?" lol
"Shirt-waisted." What does that mean?

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
64tonya said:
I think some of the comments that come off as rude, are really just because people don't know much about vintage. I take it for granted that people know what I mean when I say 'vintage.' I remember the first time someone complimented me on a 50s dress and I said "oh, thank you. It is vintage." They said "Wow! Did you make it?" and before I could think I just blurted out, "No! How old do you think I am!?!" :eek: Obviously a misunderstanding...

lol people don't understand a lot of things these days. I most likely would've said the same thing...I rarely think before I speak (something I ought to work on!)

AnnaMaria

New in Town
A few weeks ago I was going to Gothenburg to visit a friend and as I was walking through the bus station I passed two young guys. One of them laughed and said something but I didn't pay attention to him, I didn't think they were talking about me, but then the other guy answered, also laughing - "It sure looks like it, and with a suit case from the 50's". So, it was me they were laughing at. I told my friend and she said that they probably said something they thoughtt were funny but that I would have taken as a compliment!

I once got a quite wierd comment from an older man (in his 70's maybe) when I was at a museum, dressed in a yellow 50's halterneck dress. He just came up to me and said "You have nice curves and you would fit at the Oscars, but you don't look as if you could keep a man warm".lol

cynroux

Familiar Face
Oh, it breaks my heart to hear the negative comments. Especially when I know there are people out there who appreciate the look and the effort.

Last October, I attended my spouse's class reunion at the US Naval Academy wearing a gorgeous 1940's black and jet beaded crepe de chine dress, my mother's broadtail lamb coat, hair in proper victory rolls, seamed stockings and gloves, because it was chilly. Not only was my husband's class there, but it seemed like most of the surviving members of classes much earlier than his were also attending the evening parade.

There was plenty of "you look cute" and a few good natured "Cyn, halloween is in two weeks." comments, but while I was chatting with friends, I felt an arm slide around my waist and when I looked, realized it belonged to a gentleman who was easily in his 80's.

"You look like a girl I dated when I went to school here." And he gave me a little squeeze.

I almost cried.

If I ever encounter a negative comment, I'll always be able to counter it with the memory of that gentleman on the Naval Academy parade grounds. He definitely appreciated the effort. :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
the best!...

Those are the comments and memories one wants to cling to! You made his day. That's what its all about. The men (at least for me is seems) are my best barometer more times often than not. A lot of ladies will of course give compliments too, but sometimes almost from amazement that a gal would go to so much trouble! Ladies I know are amazed for example when I tell them how much undergarments, etc is needed to pull this look off. And they usually love the hair, ditto the vintage hats!

Other people that also do vintage are the best - they really appreciate the effort and know how much is required to do the look well. Those are the kind of people one wants to hang with- and we here do! We joined the local Art Deco Society and are going to their's and other vintage dress appreciated events whenever we can find them.

cynroux said:
Oh, it breaks my heart to hear the negative comments. Especially when I know there are people out there who appreciate the look and the effort.

Last October, I attended my spouse's class reunion at the US Naval Academy wearing a gorgeous 1940's black and jet beaded crepe de chine dress, my mother's broadtail lamb coat, hair in proper victory rolls, seamed stockings and gloves, because it was chilly. Not only was my husband's class there, but it seemed like most of the surviving members of classes much earlier than his were also attending the evening parade.

There was plenty of "you look cute" and a few good natured "Cyn, halloween is in two weeks." comments, but while I was chatting with friends, I felt an arm slide around my waist and when I looked, realized it belonged to a gentleman who was easily in his 80's.

"You look like a girl I dated when I went to school here." And he gave me a little squeeze.

I almost cried.

If I ever encounter a negative comment, I'll always be able to counter it with the memory of that gentleman on the Naval Academy parade grounds. He definitely appreciated the effort. :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
maybe it also depends on what era your'e doing...

and how you are presenting it. I can wear 40s dresses with 40s hats, carry a little corde' purse and have on my gloves and a fur stole or a 30s hats and long skirt with blouse. Frankly I've never gotten a negative comment. At the store or shop, often no one says anything. That's good too! Maybe I don't stand out that much or I've acheived a state of the 40s and late 30s style looking very natural on me. I wear skirts and dresses most of the time anyways- so it doesn't come off as foreign when I wear them in vintage.

If I went out in 50s poodle skirt with a bandana tied in my hair or on a pony tail, with saddle shoes and bobby socks, or a supr fitted pinup 50 type dress I'm certain I'd get negative comments. Ditto the 60s mad men look- cuz its so big on tv now- its a definite costume look.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I try to always be gracious about compliments even when they get it a bit wrong, but in my head I'm always annoyed! Like when I was stood waiting for a train wearing my favourite 50's suit, veiled hat and fur stole and a really sweet gay scottish couple sidled up and said "You look wonderful - positively pre-war". I smiled and thanked them but in my head I was snarling "POST-war you idiot!" lol lol SO ungrateful I know! I did appreciate the sentiment though.

I probably come across as a bit snooty sometimes because I get fed up with being stared at when I'm just doing my shopping and don't feel like having a conversation about my hair, so I studiously avoid eye contact with everybody. But most of the time I really do appreciate having total strangers come up and compliment me - who wouldn't want to be told how lovely they look?!

I had a very strange and slightly saucy comment the other day walking back from work. I always carry a long umbrella with me if there is the slightest chance of rain (which is most of the time in London let's face it!) and I passed a middle-aged man sitting outside a pub who said "No umbrella today?" to which I replied "No, not today" and smiled, intending to walk on. He then called after me "Shame - I've always liked a tightly rolled one!" in what I an only describe as a suggestive way!! It really made me giggle but it was slightly creepy too!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
Ditto the 60s mad men look- cuz its so big on tv now- its a definite costume look.

I respectfully disagree regarding this. Our own Maggiethespy pulls this look of perfectly. Senator Jack is also a great example on how stylishly it can be done.

macollins

New in Town
I love getting compliments! A couple people have told me I look like their mothers, which is kind of weird for a 17 year old to hear. My favorite compliment was from an elderly woman at a vintage car show who came up to me and said that I reminded her of some good times she had as a teen in the Fifties. I was wearing my great-grandma's pink cardigan, a home-made pastel floral circle skirt and green mary jane flats. Mostly I get a lot of weird looks from people who just don't get it!:)

64tonya

One of the Regulars
The best compliment...

For me the best compliment I get when I dress vintage is that I look classy. All I ever wanted be be was a classy broad er... I mean dame...uh lady....that's the one I was going for! Aw who am I kidding? Let's just stick to classy broad ;)

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Darhling said:
Tonya - you look very classy in your avatar! I would love to see a larger version :)
Thanks Darhling, you are so sweet! It was taken at my booth at the last fashion expo. I was selling these hats on ebay and someone wrote me saying they just loved my mannequin!lol
IMG_4107-1-1-1.jpg

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
You are right ladies----I think the seams to most people = sexpot? Or trying to. Where as to me, the outfit itself was a black and white and green printed skirt, a green sweater and it just seemed (no pun intended) that the stockings would make the outfit and they did! All of the ladies in the office said how great it looked and I did get a few looks from the men. But I'm lady first and foremost---I looked very appropriate.

So I haven't worn the stockings again but I do wear some of my vintage dresses to work and all of those have come with compliments too.

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
I really think what kind of comment is going to depend on what kind of crowd you're in. In my experience any woman under 50-ish are probably going to glare or pretend that you're not there. If they're over 50 they'll probably just smile. Men under 50 will just flat out ignore me. But men over 50 will probably smile. So far the only comments I've gotten are from people who are over 50. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner