Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complete radio series??

p71towny

Familiar Face
Ok, I've been piecing together what I can find of radio shows on the internet over the years. However, I would gladly purchase complete series of radio shows if I could find them. You can purchase old T.V. shows but I've yet to find radio shows in a box set. They might have the most popular ones, but no complete sets. So are they out there, or am I doomed to cram my flash drive??

p71towny

Familiar Face
Yeah, I've been there along with a whole bunch of other sites. It would be nice to have whole series preserved for future generations.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Complete Series" is a phrase that gets applied very loosely among old-time-radio people. There are actually very few Golden Era radio series that survive in their entirety -- most of those that do are either obscure short-run syndicated programs or short-run series from the 1950s. There are many programs for which a large number of episodes do survive -- but even those series have missing episodes. In most cases the best you can hope for is a large chunk of a run existing rather than the entire series.

Another consideration is that many long-running series ran for a very long time, in much longer seasons than modern shows. A series like Suspense, which has about 900 surviving episodes, would require around 450 discs for a full release in CD audio format. (The retailers who release copyright-authorized sets of OTR don't do MP3 format due to quality considerations.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80