Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coney Island 1927

Shirin

A-List Customer
Isn't this fantastic!? The horse racing ride looks like so much fun!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHQDRXIv1VQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHQDRXIv1VQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I love all the bobbed hair! :D Those rides look like loads of fun, although I'd be a bit leery of a couple of them. :eek: This is a wonderful video, thanks for posting it.

Foofoogal

Banned
my stars. No seatbelts at all. Wonder how many they lost.
The bumper cars/tidal wave combination is amazing. I have always loved the swings. Have so many memories of that kind of carnival swing. Not Coney Island. Great find.

mike

Call Me a Cab
My family grew up there. My grandpa told me all about it!

click here to marvel in disbelief at the spectacle know world-wide as "my family!"

They misquoted me somewhat and didn't use my real last name like I asked them to for the sake of my family, but still what crazy photos huh?! I also found a photo online of the exterior of what is the modern day freak show, which originally was the World Circus Side Show, where my great aunt (?) worked. You could see on top of the ballyhoo stage her painted portrait!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I was wondering how many injuries happened on some of those rides.
You really paid your money and took your chances back in the day.

Were they better or worse than the streetcars that transported them to the park!? lol

Shirin

A-List Customer
Mike, you are related to Dora? Is that a genetic trait? Did she ever marry? Have Kids? Maybe she had all that hair because she had testosterone instead of estrogen??

mike

Call Me a Cab
Shirin said:
Mike, you are related to the lion face girl? Is that a genetic trait? Did she ever marry? Have Kids?

Yes I am, and all I can say is I come complete with a full beard and a manly roar :p

In all seriousness, I assume it was genetic. I don't know of anyone else in my family that had a similar condition. She was my grandfather's cousin, so somewhat removed from me but the ladies in my family can still sigh a sigh of relief at the genetic close shave they had!

And to come full circle, I put on a entire season film festival series at the Coney Island Museum (just above the modern day freak show) about 5 years ago where we resurrected the old time spook show, which had its peak in popularity in the 20's-40's. We had magicians conjure spirits in black out sessions that hovered over the audiences heads and screened a variety of rare old films including stuff like Willis O'Brien's first every animation shorts from the nineteen-teens and live appearances from the guys from Ghoul A Go Go and a bunch more.

It was an honor to be producing an event in the same building that my grandfather used to stand outside of waiting to protect his bearded cousin from being harassed on her way home!

Furthermore! I didn't date her for this reason, but it also just so happens I used to date Heather, the sword swallower from Coney Island too. All roads lead back to Coney for some reason [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy