Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What If Money Can Buy ...

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
With money comes power. Power to accumulate almost anything you lust to possess, with it also comes the power to bribe or corrupt. The power to heal or cure can also be derived by monetary means. Education as well, to better oneself is also attained through it. Our lifestyle revolves around it that almost everything would come to a halt without it. For some it becomes an obsession, and for the influential, it's that drive for power that motivates them to acquire more.

But what is it ... if there is one most important thing that money can't buy, what will you want to get? Will it be Love? Peace? Health? Youth? Beauty? Life (no death)? You can add to these, I'm just curious. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMwZsFKIXa8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMwZsFKIXa8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Chas

One Too Many
Money can buy a kind of immortality, which is way, way more important than love. Love is fragile and temporary. When you die, what loves you and what you love goes on without you.

If I had huge money, I would found clinics, schools and scholarship funds for underprivileged youth, as well as a huge network of microeconomic loan funds like this one Money is wasted on the rich (for the most part).

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
Money can buy a kind of immortality, which is way, way more important than love. Love is fragile and temporary. When you die, what loves you and what you love goes on without you.

If I had huge money, I would found clinics, schools and scholarship funds for underprivileged youth, as well as a huge network of microeconomic loan funds like this one Money is wasted on the rich (for the most part).

This is wonderful Chas! I've never heard of KIVA, but thanks for that input! :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Gilbey said:
But what is it ... if there is one most important thing that money can't buy, what will you want to get? Will it be Love? Peace? Health? Youth? Beauty? Life (no death)? You can add to these, I'm just curious. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Money will help in acquiring all of those things, except for living forever.

Chas

One Too Many
How can money buy health? So much of health is dependant upon genetics, environment, luck. It's true that the wealthy are generally better off than the poor, health-wise. I would never consider immortality. It's wrong on many levels.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Money will help in acquiring all of those things, except for living forever.

Honestly even if there was a magic pill to live forever, I don't think I'll do it. I just couldn't imagine living in this natural body for aeons (even if you are granted perfect health or eternal youth for that matter!).

First of all, you become tired of the earthly lifestyle year after year: New Year, Valentines, Mother's day, Father's day, Christmas (besides the minor holidays throughout the year). Year after year as you go through the same sequence like in a Merry-Go-Round, the familiarity becomes predictable, less exciting, and even gets lonelier as you progress through the generations. Second, you become a stranger to the world as new generations crop up around you (everybody else you've loved and known are dead). People get tired of you ... that would be incredibly lonely.

Would this be all that "Living Forever" has to offer me? Thanks, but no thanks! I'd rather be just like the rest and accept my fate ... it is then and ONLY then will I live forever. :)

Chas

One Too Many
Eternal life would suck most of the beauty and significance out of life itself. IMHO, a very significant part of life's poignancy and value is that it is finite.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
Well it can certainly pay for the best quality medical care - which makes an enormous difference.
In most countries, that's not an issue. Might be why our friend from Canada didn't think of that.

Trust me, money can buy almost any tangible object you could want, but it can't buy you happiness or even contentment... I speak from experience, as even with the vast amount of my relatives' money that has been spent on my personal library, my education and "stuff", I'm still left with a gaping hole inside that nothing yet seems to be able to fill.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I've never met anyone in good health who felt that they had enjoyed "enough" life, and were ready to die. The only people who feel this way appear to be those who are suffering from poor health and in a lot of pain.
There will ALWAYS be new things to learn, new interesting people to meet, new places to visit or old favorites to return to. There are so many skills one could acquire given sufficient time to develop them.
I'd be very happy with life extension, even immortality. Those of you who are tired of life, let me have your remaining years, I promise I'll put them to good use.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I work in the "death care" business, aka a funeral home/crematory. I meet many people who are ready to go, have lived a full life and are tired and worn out and feel like they have outlived their friends and comtemporaries. I find it very peaceful to talk to these folks...they are content.

I had a guy call the funeral home several weeks ago to say goodbye to one of the other directors...they were old buddies, and this guy was in iffy health, on oxygen. He had decided to have the oxygen turned off, and if he died, so be it. He did wait until the 3rd, to be sure his social security check arrived(it did). Anyway, 12 hours later he was dead.

Money can't buy love. It can, under some circumstances, buy some health and longevity. I NEVER play the lottery, because so many of those folks wind up broke and unhappy...they burn through the money and all of their friends and family become jealous of them...it becomes a mess.

I want my legacy to be happy, well adjusted kids who are gainfully employed.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
How can money buy health?

Medical care, medicine, doctors, nurses, aides, equipment, medical research, medical patent enforcement, a safe and reliable blood supply, hospitals, clean drinking water, proper diet, safety laws and the means to enforce them, OSHA or equivalent, building standards, public health campaigns, sanitation--it all costs money.

TessTrueheart

Paisley said:
Medical care, medicine, doctors, nurses, aides, equipment, medical research, medical patent enforcement, a safe and reliable blood supply, hospitals, clean drinking water, proper diet, safety laws and the means to enforce them, OSHA or equivalent, building standards, public health campaigns, sanitation--it all costs money.

Still, all of these things can't guarantee you health. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner