Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music From Your Adolescence....

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I've been all over the map. High school in NY, it was Primus, Wutang, Chili Peppers, Ween, Death metal, and increasingly older stuff (Zep, Doors, and lots of funk, like Stevie Wonder, Pfunk, Sly Stone, Ohio Players, etc.) That (and a variety of 'dietary supplements' with 3-letter combinations) led to 60's Psychedelic bands like Love, Pink Floyd, 13th floor elevators, etc. Never liked the goofy folksy cuddly stuff like the Greatful Dead, always the wierder, darker, more challenging stuff, from LA and England.

Then junior year, I jumped from 60's psychedelia, to contemporary 'mind expansion' music: psychedelic trance.
From there, it was all about the rave and jungle scene in college, and I quickly moved to increasingly more abstract, atonal and experimental electronica, ending up with the really percussive, distorted German schranz stuff and minimal house/techno, and jamaican dub jungle. That all led to punk rock (strictly the 77' stuff), oi, which led back to garage (about the time the garage revival hit, with bands like the strokes, the white stripes, vines, hives, etc. dominating the airwaves). Garage led me to 60's pop and Surf, which led me down the twin roads of exotica and twang (dwayne eddy, etc), which has led me to standards/big band and classic country, respectively, which is where I'm at now. Just recently, I've gotten into classic reggae.

Through it all I've done the classical thing, moving from romantic composers like grieg, tschaikovsky, etc. to fugues and now modern composers like Stravinski, Holst, Bartok, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy